Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

I still find the criticism of Bruce and Membrey hard to cop. Not saying they’re above it by any means, but they kicked five between them yesterday, of which at least three (from memory) came from set shots as a result of being rewarded on the lead. Those opportunities are what allows key forwards to do their best work, and I’m sure we’d all agree such opportunities have been few and far between all year.

I just don’t think that any other forward combo will suddenly thrive given the same opportunities under our current method going forward.
Hang on a minute, they kicked 5 between them only because one of them kicked 4…

Bruce has kicked 6 goals from his last 7 games, Membrey has kicked nearly twice as many goals playing in the same forward line.

Bruce absolutely deserves the blowtorch as our number 1 key forward, he is just not performing to the required level in 6 out of our 9 games so far, not good enough for a senior player and one of the highest paid forwards at the club.

Bruce has kicked 6 goals from his last 7 games, Membrey has kicked nearly twice as many goals playing in the same forward line.

Bruce absolutely deserves the blowtorch as our number 1 key forward, he is just not performing to the required level in 6 out of our 9 games so far, not good enough for a senior player and one of the highest paid forwards at the club.
Brucey has been under an injury cloud so that does need to be taken into consideration although to your point, his lack of performance needs to be addressed one way or another.

In the cold light of day my thoughts haven't changed much. And apart from the modding, previews and podcast (Which I still enjoy doing) I reckon this will probably be the last of getting into discussions for me on this board for quite a while. To see the disdain from people here in the way they talk about those at the club is pretty poor and just the sheer weight of negativity has already driven people away and will continue to drive good people away from this place as long as it keeps up.
I think that's because fans in general are tired of seeing the same stuff served up. 8 years without much in the way of finals let alone success is going to do that. In a way it's a lot like Richmond before thier flag. Richmond fans were fed up, frustrated and angry. That frustrated anger nearly saw the coach and board get the boot. It all went away after they won the flag.

We are 4-5.

With our draw and the injuries we have, that’s a solid B for me, maybe even B+.

Last year was a D- so we have improved a lot.

I still think our structures hold up really well, especially taking into account our inexperienced back-line.

We were in the game up to our ears for most of the day yesterday against a very good team. We went toe-to-toe with them and gave as good as we got, we just couldn’t go with them in the last. I prefer that to being blown out early so I feel we improved on the GWS performance a few weeks back.

Geez, it’s been a nasty draw for us lately.

We can really only judge us after the next few weeks when we play some teams we should beat.

We are 4-5.

With our draw and the injuries we have, that’s a solid B for me, maybe even B+.

Last year was a D- so we have improved a lot.

I still think our structures hold up really well, especially taking into account our inexperienced back-line.

We were in the game up to our ears for most of the day yesterday against a very good team. We went toe-to-toe with them and gave as good as we got, we just couldn’t go with them in the last. I prefer that to being blown out early so I feel we improved on the GWS performance a few weeks back.

Geez, it’s been a nasty draw for us lately.

We can really only judge us after the next few weeks when we play some teams we should beat.

If we beat teams around our level and below we should scrape into 7th place. Lose any of them on top of the ones we are expected to lose, and we don't make finals. Need to win this game and keep winning.

We kicked 10 goals or less 13 times last year.

Great post there Pakenhamsaint.

I was actually going to get all our total scores from 2018 this arvo and got sidetracked.

It's a massive concern for me.....we just can't kick big scores.

From yr stat above it was a massive issue last season and sadly.....is again this season.

If you change the conversion even by 10% reckon the difference in performance would be an eye opener.

Conversion and the psychological effect from scoreboard pressure is a huge factor.

If we were 2 or 3 goals better off going into the final quarter and up at the break would we have capitulated the way we did?

I cannot help but wonder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand we have an injury list probably too deep to contend but what saddens me is the potential of 3 of those players never returning. Paddy, Robbo and Steven.

That in itself is a whole lot of potential and experience and to have them pulled away from us at seasons end would push us back further.

No doubting Carlisle, Hannebery, Geary and Lonie will put a spring in our step but to lose the other 3 on a permanent basis would be damaging.

I’m not sure where we go from here, let’s just hope King, Coffield, Hunter and the like can develop quickly. Unfortunately can’t see any free agents convinced to come to us yet, in terms of young talent I still have us down the lower part of the ladder, am I right in saying that?
Of Paddy, Robbo and Steven, IMO only Steven is a chance to come back. That's just how the cookie has crumbled. Gotta move on and hope we can get Hanneberry, Clark and even Coffield on the ground and really hope Bytel is not a bust by 2020. If we get them in the first 22 then we have put a lot of miles into our 2nd tier players who will give us depth.

Our forward setup has to be one of the worst in the competition. I think Battle is a better natural forward than Bruce so I wouldn't be surprised if we switch those two around and really if Bruce keeps up the poor form I could see him take a spell in the VFL when Carlisle returns from injury.

Cheers :beermug:

Great analysis George. Would like to see that next week. Battle has been fantastic in defense and will have learnt a lot. Plus give him a chance with Hunter and Coffield providing delivery into the F50. If a player is carrying an injury that is impacting his game (Newnes) then he shouldn't be selected.

Couldn’t watch the game on Saturday but followed the scores and stats closely. Just watched the first three quarters....couldn’t bear to watch the last. We did many things very well. But our usual problem of not getting reward for our efforts bit us in the bum.

But so many things to admire in a very young and inexperienced team. Our recruiting and development problems of the last 10 or more years aren’t going to suddenly disappear. Really don’t know why people think they will suddenly disappear. Undeniable truths.

But looking forward if we can recruit better and look after that talent we will be fine. Great nucleus we have now. King very promising indeed. More class and depth required. We know that. Not sure why we have supporters going off their nut about it. We already knew all that.

Anyway, we have really improved and I see good times ahead.

Fair enough, and I did mention I wasn’t defending either of them fully. What’s the solution?

I didn’t watch this one live. Was away with the missus for our anniversary. Kept an eye on the score throughout lunch but was not at all confident (even with their outs) going in to it.

Watched the first 3 quarters last night. Couldn’t bear/be effed to watch the last. Just sped read your melts in the game day thread instead!

Obviously we were in it up until the last. They’re a quality side with a heap more talent than us - better skills, more game time, big game experience. It’s not that surprising is it?

Battle is killing it down back. Should stay there. We need more midfield class and more leadership on field. That’s all. It’s not doom and gloom.

Be great if Hanners can get fit and play a few in the second half of the year. Awesome to see Winx kicked 4 in the VFL. Need to throw big cash at a quality mid at trade time though. We’re missing Stuvs pace and impact.

Hold the faith
Go Saints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies all for my melting. The last four weeks got the better of me. I made some pretty strong statements around some of our leaders, which in hindsight were mostly from frustration.

if you haven't melted and apologised are you even on bigfooty

don't stress mate. its happened to literally all of us.

Great post there Pakenhamsaint.

I was actually going to get all our total scores from 2018 this arvo and got sidetracked.

It's a massive concern for me.....we just can't kick big scores.

From yr stat above it was a massive issue last season and sadly.....is again this season.
What makes our low scores all the more damning is that we'd be in the top-5 or something for entries into 50 during that same period. To have significantly more chances to score than most teams, and to just crap over so many of those chances, is just unforgivable.

As Masquerade said, I had hoped we'd learned our lesson and were going to lower the eyes, develop a better skillset of precision passing inside 50. But alas.

We've talked about how we are a three-quarters team, meaning from a time perspective we often have one quarter where we crap the bed. But from a spatial perspective we are a two-thirds team: we deliver the ball well from the back-fifty, we often do some sublime disposal in the midfield... and then just lose our freakin' minds in the forward-fifty. If we could just get better at that one quarter of time, and that last third of the ground, we'd be quite the formidable side.

But we haven't. We don't. It seems we can't. So we won't.

What makes our low scores all the more damning is that we'd be in the top-5 or something for entries into 50 during that same period. To have significantly more chances to score than most teams, and to just crap over so many of those chances, is just unforgivable.

As Masquerade said, I had hoped we'd learned our lesson and were going to lower the eyes, develop a better skillset of precision passing inside 50. But alas.

We've talked about how we are a three-quarters team, meaning from a time perspective we often have one quarter where we crap the bed. But from a spatial perspective we are a two-thirds team: we deliver the ball well from the back-fifty, we often do some sublime disposal in the midfield... and then just lose our freakin' minds in the forward-fifty. If we could just get better at that one quarter of time, and that last third of the ground, we'd be quite the formidable side.

But we haven't. We don't. It seems we can't. So we won't.

Not quite.

Our entries are not clean because the opposition don't allow it IMO.

The common factor is our midfield and subsequent skill levels.

Against weaker mids we do OK. Against the better teams we do not.

Simply put we are getting outplayed and lack of silk in the middle is causingbus to rush or kick under pressure far too often.

IMO of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back