Preview Round 9, 2019: Collingwood v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 18th May, 1:45PM AEST *Bruce 100th, Savage 150th, Young debut*

Who Wins?

• Magpies

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 17 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The team I’d like to see on the weekend. Play slingshot footy using our pace back into the forward line. Wingers to play deep defensively, half forward to play high. Brown over Marsh for leadership.

White Brown Webster
Savage Battle Wilkie
Hind Steele Billings
Newnes Membery Long
Kent Bruce Parker

Marshal Ross Gresh

Dunstan Acres DMac Sinclair
Love this team and strategy of getting the hf higher helping keep our fwd line uncongested and giving a lot of options out of defense. Think Paton would be very stiff tho as he's been very good this season and has something we need more of. Pace, good kick and decision maker (albeit a couple of blemishes v wc) id take Long out on current form and send Paton into the fwd line. Seemed to go ok there last year and has improved

luca77

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2010
Japan
AFL Club
St Kilda
I do get what your saying but it doesn't matter what number you go in the draft you don't get to pick and choose who you get to play on just because someone went higher or lower in the draft than you , Thomas is more your half forward who rarely starts in the middle , IMO id be giving Paton a crack in sincs position ATM as he is down on form and Paton is on the up
Yeah, I get that too but I think there is relevance in the picks.
The reason there's such a class difference in there is that we haven't invested top picks in the midfield. So we can line up our mids against theirs and say "well this guy's clearly not up to it", but if we haven't invested the picks in that position it's no real surprise at all, which was kind of my original point. And yeah, we can drop Sincs and play Paton as a follower more, but in a few rounds time Paton's stats aren't going to be much more favourable when compared to a jet mid than Sincs' imo and there are bugger all other options.
Of course the club can tell the players "it doesn't matter what pick you went at, blah blah" but jeez....look at Geelong, Pies, Giants, Blues, Demons midfields. And the best we can do is swap Sincs for Paton! Would be almost embarrassing except that everyone's been having a real crack this year. People knock Richo banging on about "effort" all the time, and it drives me nuts too but effort is probably about 90% of the reason why our mids aren't getting torn to pieces more than they have been this year.

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Love this team and strategy of getting the hf higher helping keep our fwd line uncongested and giving a lot of options out of defense. Think Paton would be very stiff tho as he's been very good this season and has something we need more of. Pace, good kick and decision maker (albeit a couple of blemishes v wc) id take Long out on current form and send Paton into the fwd line. Seemed to go ok there last year and has improved
Would be more then happy to see Paton go forward and drop Long. As you say, played very well there last year and gee Long has had a stinker the last two weeks.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nah i dont have that stat , i can say that Jack has been named as a follower on the team sheet 5 times this year so id guess he has had his fair share of time at centre bounces , as i said guessing and if he starts there again this week will need to contend with someone of Treloar's ability , im not saying he never plays again by any stretch but we seem reluctant to give other guys a go , who is to say Paton cant play that role better than Sincs
Without looking at the stats, I don't think Sinclair has spent that much time through the midfield this year, despite what the team sheet says. He seems to be thrown around between the forward 50, the wing and through the midfield.

He's clearly not at the level of Adam Treloar, but I doubt anyone ever expected him to. I think the form of Newnes and Billings means he doesn't really have one position like he used to.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd still rather try Paton or Dmac in the midfield for Dunstan. Bring in White, Hind. Get games into Joyce. Webster would be due for a rest/drop soon, so too Longy... this is when they usually fire up now hehe

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I'd still rather try Paton or Dmac in the midfield for Dunstan. Bring in White, Hind. Get games into Joyce. Webster would be due for a rest/drop soon, so too Longy... this is when they usually fire up now hehe
I say I say Sir your challenge is accepted!
I agree to the duel sir!

Glove slap baby Glove slap!

Just a few notes from training I attended this morning.

Jakey again running laps

Geary also running laps.

Bytel also running laps.....a lot of traffic around that boundary line......Bytel is much taller than I thought.

Lonie was standing on the sidelines with the compression bandage on.

Hanners at times participating in the training drills.....looked sharp.

He's certainly a vocal chap......when they all came in for a break/drink....he certainly didn't hold back telling all what should be happening with some of the drills and what could be sharpened up with.

King at the end took an awesome one handed mark on the boundary and then calmly slotted a great goal.

I won't repeat my thoughts !!!!!!

Spirits were very good during the session....with several Pies outs......will be very interesting to see how we go.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Just a few notes from training I attended this morning.

Jakey again running laps

Geary also running laps.

Bytel also running laps.....a lot of traffic around that boundary line......Bytel is much taller than I thought.

Lonie was standing on the sidelines with the compression bandage on.

Hanners at times participating in the training drills.....looked sharp.

He's certainly a vocal chap......when they all came in for a break/drink....he certainly didn't hold back telling all what should be happening with some of the drills and what could be sharpened up with.

King at the end took an awesome one handed mark on the boundary and then calmly slotted a great goal.

I won't repeat my thoughts !!!!!!

Spirits were very good during the session....with several Pies outs......will be very interesting to see how we go.
Nice work SW

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Webster, Brown and Dmac. That's pretty easy. Webster and Dmac have been poor and Brown's not required against Coll if Cox doesn't play.
Sick of this rubbish on Webster and D Mac. So much about footy is winning contests or stopping 50-50 plays. Our defence has done extremely well this year on that count. It’s also the intangibles of playing to structures and playing smart by being in positions that help the team. D Mac poor, lol. Suppose he was poor last year too?

Almost wish we could just bow to this constant bashing and bring in the VFL superstars, who in one month’s time will be the new whipping boys instead.

Last edited:

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Why would you dump Paton , he has been quiet good IMO , Sincs to go before Paton
What is it with Sinclair, equal most contested possessions last week and would only be behind Steele this season for tackles. He Kicked a goal had a goal assist and set up several more who missed, there must be quite a few who deserve to be dropped before him starting with long.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Sick of this rubbish on Webster and D Mac. So much about footy is winning contests or stopping 50-50 plays. Our defence has done extremely well this year on that count. It’s also the intangibles of playing to structures and playing smart by being in positions that help the team. D Mac poor, lol. Suppose he was poor last year too?

Almost wish we could just bow to this constant bashing and being in the VFL superstars, who in one month’s time will be the new whipping boys instead.
Exactly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is it with Sinclair, equal most contested possessions last week and would only be behind Steele this season for tackles. He Kicked a goal had a goal assist and set up several more who missed, there must be quite a few who deserve to be dropped before him starting with long.
I dont think anyone will disagree with you about long being dropped its about trying to make our team better , if Paton can play Sins roll better and allows White to come in dont you think we are a better team,

Sinclair has been playing his role well. Why remove him from that?
So even if Paton could do it better you dont want to remove siclair ? I think we need to be a little more open to accepting that we may have to change some personal if we are going to get better or should we just stick with the ones who try and play their role as its been found out that it wont cut it against good teams

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
So even if Paton could do it better you dont want to remove siclair ? I think we need to be a little more open to accepting that we may have to change some personal if we are going to get better or should we just stick with the ones who try and play their role as its been found out that it wont cut it against good teams
Sinclair was one of our best last week, especially in the first half of the game. Sinclair has been good for most of the season in his new role playing mainly half forward, and despite playing some bad games like everyone on our list has, he bounced back and performed the week after.

Yes, Paton could potentially be better than Sinclair, but Sinclair has been performing well and doesn't deserve to be removed from his role just to see is Paton could also do it.

Sinclair has been playing his role well. Why remove him from that?
Ps , i shouldnt be making this all about Sincs as he is just an example of a few players like him we have in our current side , what your seeing from him is about as good as he is going to be , in fact he has gone backwards ever so slightly since 2107 so dont expect him to improve in years to come , would you look at him and say yes he could be a premiership player ? Me , id say no , maybe others will think differently .

Sinclair was one of our best last week, especially in the first half of the game. Sinclair has been good for most of the season in his new role playing mainly half forward, and despite playing some bad games like everyone on our list has, he bounced back and performed the week after.

Yes, Paton could potentially be better than Sinclair, but Sinclair has been performing well and doesn't deserve to be removed from his role just to see is Paton could also do it.
So we just keep doing the same thing over and over with the same blokes and expect to get better , i hope the club has a bit of vision to see who is going to take us to the promised land and IMO there are a few in this team that wont , we have got too many that may sneak a mid week win but they are never going to win a group 1 , if you had owned horses you would understand you just cant keep them all , some you need to move on no matter how much you love them , unfortunately that's life

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
So we just keep doing the same thing over and over with the same blokes and expect to get better , i hope the club has a bit of vision to see who is going to take us to the promised land and IMO there are a few in this team that wont , we have got too many that may sneak a mid week win but they are never going to win a group 1 , if you had owned horses you would understand you just cant keep them all , some you need to move on no matter how much you love them , unfortunately that's life
So you saying we got a few bush maiden's hanging around? :cool:

The best we can offer in our stable is a couple of listed race placegetters! Certainly No group horses!
Though we do have high hopes for a young 2yo colt that went shin sore last prep that we have nicknamed Winx!
Big rangy Colt with an incredible stride and huge upside! May need some time to fill out though!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I dont think anyone will disagree with you about long being dropped its about trying to make our team better , if Paton can play Sins roll better and allows White to come in dont you think we are a better team,
No I don’t not for a minute, Sinclair was good last week and has been pretty good most weeks.

He’s a creative player with good skills and vision, clearly he is being asked to play a different role this year. If you watch the replay of last weeks game he has as score assist, directly handballs to create 3 direct shots on goal, long, Gresham and Bruce who all missed then he marked a kicked a goal himself all in the first half. I’m not sure what more he’s supposed to do in that role often starting as a forward. If a team high for contested possessions, 4 tackles etc won’t get you a game next week then I’m shocked we’re not on top of the ladder undefeated.

Integrity in selection is imo an integral part of top teams, poor form gets you dropped and kicking the door down at sandy gets you a chance when injury or form creates an opportunity. I’m not dropping players doing their job in favour of players who aren’t.

Long has been ordinary at best this year and absolutely terrible the last two weeks and doesn’t deserve a game, let’s see if he gets dropped.

So you saying we got a few bush maiden's hanging around? :cool:

The best we can offer in our stable is a couple of listed race placegetters! Certainly No group horses!
Though we do have high hopes for a young 2yo colt that went shin sore last prep that we have nicknamed Winx!
Big rangy Colt with an incredible stride and huge upside! May need some time to fill out though!
He could be as adaptable as Mahogany was , any horse that can win Two Derbys and two lighting stakes is a freak

No I don’t not for a minute, Sinclair was good last week and has been pretty good most weeks.

He’s a creative player with good skills and vision, clearly he is being asked to play a different role this year. If you watch the replay of last weeks game he has as score assist, directly handballs to create 3 direct shots on goal, long, Gresham and Bruce who all missed then he marked a kicked a goal himself all in the first half. I’m not sure what more he’s supposed to do in that role often starting as a forward. If a team high for contested possessions, 4 tackles etc won’t get you a game next week then I’m shocked we’re not on top of the ladder undefeated.

Integrity in selection is imo an integral part of top teams, poor form gets you dropped and kicking the door down at sandy gets you a chance when injury or form creates an opportunity. I’m not dropping players doing their job in favour of players who aren’t.

Long has been ordinary at best this year and absolutely terrible the last two weeks and doesn’t deserve a game, let’s see if he gets dropped.
Fair points mate and yes if Long doesn't get dropped well doesn't that set a good standard for team selections

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Plenty of handsome well bred horses sold for a fortune at yearling sales can’t hold a candle to some bargain buys, it’s hardly an exact science.

I like your analogy though, for what it’s worth I think Sinclair would be a star in a good team. It’s interesting that he’s singled out almost every week by the commentators as a highly skilled talented player, I guess their seeing what I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back