Preview Round 9, 2019 Lions V Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows have had two very demanding games. Freo and Port matches will have taken its toll. It's up to us now to turn up and play quick vibrant footy - if we are slow moving the ball into the 50 they will set up and defend all day.

Also need to limit Laird and Smith off half back. Tex Walker is only a shadow of the player he once was so I will be disappointed if we let him get off the chain. Matt Crouch would be a big out for them - wins a lot of contested ball.

If we are serious about playing finals this year then we win this game. Adelaide might sit 3rd on the ladder but they are not a great side or one to be feared.

I am spooked by this one. I just feel like they are exactly the sort of team to beat us with experience, size, dour defense and structure. I hope I am wrong, would be a huge scalp if we can get the W. Not confident though.

I’ll stick my neck out; if we win this then we’ll play finals, lose and we won’t.

every game feels like a cross road game hey? GC was a huge cross roads game after losing the 2 before. Last week was a big chance to go on the road and win in testing conditions against a similar side. This week, a more mature side we have struggled to beat recently, I agree, defining match.

How good is it having games mean something each week?

Yeah, I agree - it's awesome being back in the jumble of sides legitimately fighting to claim a spot in the top half of the table.

And I too feel that this week is crucial, far more important than our R5 game against the Pies was in the overall context of the season.

WE NEED TO RAWR AT THEM RIGHT FROM THE START.
AND KEEP RAWRING UNTIL THE FINAL SIREN.

:D

every game feels like a cross road game hey? GC was a huge cross roads game after losing the 2 before. Last week was a big chance to go on the road and win in testing conditions against a similar side. This week, a more mature side we have struggled to beat recently, I agree, defining match.

How good is it having games mean something each week?

GC and Sydney we always should’ve won. With 4 matches in a row starting last week where we’re about a 50/50 chance we really need to win at least 2 of them. Then we have to beat the bottom teams like Carlton, Saints, Suns and North and we should get to 13 wins.

GC and Sydney we always should’ve won. With 4 matches in a row starting last week where we’re about a 50/50 chance we really need to win at least 2 of them. Then we have to beat the bottom teams like Carlton, Saints, Suns and North and we should get to 13 wins.

I tipped GC tbh and their form since suggests they are no easy beats, especially at home. Given the 2 weeks in the lead up and how poorly we played, that was a huge line in the sand game IMO. None the less I think we are making the same point. This game is huge and I don't mind the idea of being the barometer of a finals birth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll stick my neck out; if we win this then we’ll play finals, lose and we won’t.
I tend to agree .We threw everything at it in the first half last week and couldn't win.

Against a formidable rival at home will show whether we're going to go on with it or drop our bundle a bit.

Every match is important but this one will sets us up or leaves us vulnerable

I think last time we beat them was 2012, so it'll be massive if we win.
We've done well to knock off teams that have the wood over us this season, let the trend continue I say.

Was it Robinson or Hodge or someone else who was saying that other teams didn't respect us / considered us a joke or something like that … hopefully this year they are feeling nervous when playing us and next year they will begin to fear it!

I have a dream that the year will come when the fixture comes out and members of four opposition teams** will go 'ghah no way how come *we* have to bloody play the Lions twice'

**GC fans will already know they have us twice

We should’ve beaten Adelaide last year at the Gabba - if only our defence didn’t make Hugh Greenwood look like an amalgamation of Carey & Dunstall.

Wouldn’t mind Archie getting a run this week. On paper, it looks like a matchup against O’brien That Stef should dominate but he hasn’t been doing that this year and was very poor last week. Bring in Archie against a similarly inexperienced opponent and see what he can do.

No doubt it will be a big step up and the opportunities will be fewer, but I think they deserve a chance.
No doubt it will be a big step up and the opportunities will be fewer, but I think they deserve a chance.
Wouldn’t mind Archie getting a run this week. On paper, it looks like a matchup against O’brien That Stef should dominate but he hasn’t been doing that this year and was very poor last week. Bring in Archie against a similarly inexperienced opponent and see what he can do.
I don't think Stef was too bad except for his disposal blunders. Stef is our best bet in the ruck by a long way imo. A lot of his contested work is missed by most of the punters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back