M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We've got a pretty stacked backline with Andrews, Walker, Gardiner, Hodge, Witherden, Rich, Answerth and Hinge playing.
Maybe a few will have stints on the Wing Cutler was occupying.
Has Hinge been playing any footy on the wing in the NEAFL? Answerth and Rich also capable of playing on a wing.

rusty08

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We've got a pretty stacked backline with Andrews, Walker, Gardiner, Hodge, Witherden, Rich, Answerth and Hinge playing.
Could be wrong, but hasn't Hinge been playing mainly wing this year?? Will be interesting to see how we use him. I like the look of him, and others would know more, but what's his speed like? He seems to have a laconic style.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hinge debuts!
How Witherden gets a game each week has become a joke, Absolutely zero effort when defending and also no clue what he is doing also his kicking isn't that great creates a lot of stupid turnovers. Not sure how Cutler gets dropped over Witherden and Rayner.

Shocking ins just makes us taller and even more slower, how has Fagan not see whats been going wrong in all our losses we have no outside spread or speed and way too slow down back.

Crows by a easy 26.
Might be worth you giving Fages a call - you seem to know what is going on and what needs to be done and Fagan is clearly a dill.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Put it this way. If I was Cutler I'd be looking at McStays continued run and asking myself: WTF????

He'll be gone next year is my judgement. And more's the pity.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Put it this way. If I was Cutler I'd be looking at McStays continued run and asking myself: WTF????

He'll be gone next year is my judgement. And more's the pity.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Obviously McStay is at least doing something that the coaches like and Cutler isn't. Can't really compare a KPF with a wing/outside mid.

ItsRaynerGoals

Debutant
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am a Cutler fan and would prefer him in the team than out however last week he done some questionable things. In a game that required the players to kick long, gain meters due to the weather, Cutler tried to be to dainty and cute when conditions didn’t call for it.

I like the inclusion of Hinge, I would like to see CLyons provided with an opportunity at some stage along with Allison.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Speechless.

You see mistakes made in selection in all clubs plenty of times. I suppose the thinking is we'll grind them down . We've got a team full of grinding backs and a couple of midfielders who can run.

Lost on me . But what would I know, surprised they turfed Lester , he's usually given a lot more sympathy . Not that I'd have him in there

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Still don't get the McStay hate.

Plays his role well and was far from our worst against the Dogs.

The caustic criticism of his goal kicking is way over the top. I've posted his accuracy stats several times before and they compare favorably to just about every forward in the game with his age and experience.

II can't be bothered doing it again.

If you don't believe me, look it up for yourselves

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The caustic criticism of his goal kicking is way over the top. I've posted his accuracy stats several times before and they compare favorably to just about every forward in the game with his age and experience.

He has poor accuracy on shots within 30m according to a recent stat I saw. But to take this and extrapolate that to his entire game is very stupid. Some can't understand that he has a specific role in the team which he is fulfilling - yeah he isn't a star but he does the team thing and competes which is what we need.

Cutler's performance on the weekend was miles worse than any McStay performance this year - and I'm a big fan and defender of Cuts and wouldn't have dropped him.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do feel a bit for Cuts. It was quite clear since he was back in the team, he was deliberately trying to take the team option. Maybe last week he reverted back to his old ways a little, but still think it’s rough on him after the one game.

Plenty of others up forward and one small defender seem to have contributed far less over the last month and I thought (was hoping) we’d be missing at least a couple of them.

Last edited:
Interesting to bring in 2 defenders and a mid for a defender and 2 mids.

Lester (D), Bailey (D) and Cutler (M - well, wing) for Hinge (D), Walker (D) and Mathieson (M). Largely like for like, except different strengths (speed vs contested ball, basically).

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We still haven't topped the 'Our coaching panel knows no more than bigfooty posters' comment from last weeks melt.
I don't think anyone said that at all . Maybe you said someone said that.

There's no doubt if someone else had come in and done exactly the same things that Cutler has done the last 3 weeks there's no way they'd be getting dropped. He coughed it up twice last week , lots of others couldn't make the contest to cough it up.

But these things happen in footy clubs . They don't like him/the way he plays and he'll likely be elsewhere next year.

No one's melting over it ,just a bit perplexed . The changes don't seem to have helped the balance of our team but obviously they have their reasons and we'll just have to see how it goes

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

His accuracy doesn’t include the ones he kicks out on the full. He is woeful . Glad we have a full forward who doesn’t kick goals but plays his role wtf

Got to feel for Keays. Not much more he can be doing right surely, the small forwards are stinking it up in the senior team. Surely it's time for the high profile small forwares to perform.
Keays will leave if not afforded the same opportunities as others who are getting regular games and not giving much.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
He has poor accuracy on shots within 30m according to a recent stat I saw. But to take this and extrapolate that to his entire game is very stupid.

Yeah, that's probably right (the bolded bit)

He has missed some sitters from short range and when they miss they miss big. I think this has the effect of skewing perception not only about his overall goal kicking accuracy but as you say, of his entire game.

People need to take a deep breath and examine the whole body of work before letting the occasional horror moment run away with their emotions.

Obviously McStay is at least doing something that the coaches like ...
Hey Jason, people used to say EXACTLY the same thing about Sam Sheldon and Michael Voss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back