Collingwood v St Kilda (MCG)
Brisbane Lions v Adelaide (G)
Geelong v Western Bulldogs (GMHBA) (T)
Essendon v Fremantle (MRVL) (N)
North Melbourne v Sydney (BA) (N)

Sunday, May 19
Port Adelaide v Gold Coast (AO)
Richmond v Hawthorn (MCG)
Greater Western Sydney v Carlton (GIA) (T)

I really don't like the idea of a "not at the MCG today" jumper. Like, it's your home game or an away game, it's not like away games at the MCG are more important or more special than away games elsewhere.

The MCG is Hawthorn’s home ground. Wear home guernsey at home ground. Go figure.
If it's their home ground every time they play on it then they should get brown shorts and their name listed first too.
Oh wait, sometimes it's just that they're playing there coz it's also some OTHER team's home ground. If they got an away guernsey wear it in your away games - all 11 of them minus clash jumper games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's their home ground every time they play on it then they should get brown shorts and their name listed first too.
Oh wait, sometimes it's just that they're playing there coz it's also some OTHER team's home ground. If they got an away guernsey wear it in your away games - all 11 of them minus clash jumper games.
MCG tenants playing away at the MCG are on their home patch. Barring a clash, it’s easy to understand why there’d be preference for tradition.

If there's a clash (debatable in this instance) and they're the away team, then why not? West Coast wear their clash at Optus when playing Freo for instance.
If the Giants/Adelaide/pre-2016 West Coast were given home games at the G, then yeah.

Richmond home w/ away shorts can be a bit iffy on the contrast, but for the most part I don’t consider the Hawks/Tigers a difficult matchup.
For what it’s worth, Silent Alarm & I were at this match in 2013, and I personally had no dramas at all differentiating from the top of the Southern Stand:

Hawthorn at the MCG should always be in the home guernsey.

Last edited:
be preference for tradition.
Hawthorn at the MCG should always be in the home guernsey.
If the home guernsey is THAT important, wear it all the time except in clash games.
Away games at Optus or AO are no less important. Away games against Footscray or the Saints at Marvel are no less important.
What if (God forbid) Geelong hosted Hawthorn at GMHBA on year? Is it suddenly a less traditional match and therefore the "away" guernsey is suddenly "good enough"? Or would the setup change?
It's a "we're not at the MCG and we're the away team" jumper. F those other teams who don't use the hallowed turf for our games.

I really don't like the idea of a "not at the MCG today" jumper. Like, it's your home game or an away game, it's not like away games at the MCG are more important or more special than away games elsewhere.
I agree somewhat but as long as there's no significant clash I don't see why a more traditional matchup wouldn't be preferable.

I agree somewhat but as long as there's no significant clash I don't see why a more traditional matchup wouldn't be preferable.
Oh sure. I just don't get the non-use of the away jumper at the MCG. Like use it or don't.

Could Port be in their Indigenous guernsey this week considering we’re away the next two weeks, then have the bye, then away again?
Yeah I can imagine so, they seem to don their Indigenous jumper multiple times despite the occasion over the last couple of years which is good to see.

Dee's probably didn't want to wear the redback in a final, show's the inconsistency....
If they were told that their normal jumper is fine but they chose to wear Redback during the season, I get that.
I'd like it that home jumpers MUST be worn in all Finals unless there is a clash. Eg Freo would wear purple jumpers away to Hawthorn in a final. Finals are for home jumpers if possible...the biggest games of your season.

Melbourne have played five away games so far this season.

R2 v Geelong Cats @ Kardinia Red / White
R4 v Sydney Swans @ the SCG Home / Navy
R6 v Richmond @ MCG Home (ANZAC) / White
R8 v Gold Coast Suns @ Carrara Home / Navy
R9 v West Coast Eagles @ Perth Red / White

They’d played Gold Coast and Sydney, so they’d have to wear the full home kit there as not to clash.
I’m thinking Melbourne May also be wearing their Red jumper in all away outside of the MCG, similar to the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back