Preview Round 9, 2019: Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast SUNS

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Not sure that going into the wet with a forward line of Marshall (197cm), Westhoff(199), Frampton (199), Ryder(197), Lycett (203) is all that smart. We have to use Westhoff and Ryder up forward because if we don't we have Frampton and/or Marshall playing as key forwards and that would be a huge risk given their inexperience. If Frampton plays it has to be a straight swap with Marshall. We do not have room for both in wet conditions.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ive always said Dougal should be a forward, he wont be no buddy franklin but he does have natural flair and aggression, put it this way, if dougal had been given the same opportunity as Marshall has of playing forward his CV as a forward would be much better than Marshalls. This continues a long line of coaching failures by Hinkley,

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure that going into the wet with a forward line of Marshall (197cm), Westhoff(199), Frampton (199), Ryder(197), Lycett (203) is all that smart. We have to use Westhoff and Ryder up forward because if we don't we have Frampton and/or Marshall playing as key forwards and that would be a huge risk given their inexperience. If Frampton plays it has to be a straight swap with Marshall. We do not have room for both in wet conditions.

The flaw here is that Frampton is the only forward in that "forward line". The others either rest forward, or play there if we can afford it. I understand you don't want to be too tall in the wet, but you still have to kick goals to win. Our best small forwards (R. Gray, Ebert) are also unavailable, which puts a lot of pressure on Rozee and R. Sgay. Another tall bringing the ball to ground could work.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With the poor form of the two `resting' ruckmen when they are up forward there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing them off the bench, as long as it is handled correctly and the mix of the other 3 `spare' players is balanced, ie one med tall utility type and a couple of 180-185 cm runners, and let's face it there are about 20 of them on the list to choose from. :think:

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
With the poor form of the two `resting' ruckmen when they are up forward there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing them off the bench, as long as it is handled correctly and the mix of the other 3 `spare' players is balanced, ie one med tall utility type and a couple of 180-185 cm runners, and let's face it there are about 20 of them on the list to choose from. :think:

You could do that but if you do one of Marshall or Frampton is going to have to play as a key forward. We could also move Westhoff up the ground but I doubt that Ken will do that. Ken could also decide to move westhoff into defence and use Howard up forward but I doubt he will do that either. Robbie Gray may also be back which will probably lengthen the odds of both Marshall and Frampton playing.

If it were up to me I would go with Frampton for Marshall, move Westhoff into defence to cover the talls and leave Howard in the forward line but I doubt that will happen.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ill be cheering hard for GC, ive been with the club for 50 years but there comes a time when a kick up the backside is the best thing that can happen...the domino effect, first Hinkley then KT then Koch

ahneadearut

Debutant
Aug 29, 2018
under a rock
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Suns have been competitive in 6 of the 8 games so far. Depending on injuries/returns this could be a close one. You cannot have the quality we have missing and expect anything different.
And having watched Hawthorn completely dismantle GWS on the weekend we will be rank underdogs for that one . How's Silk ? Only 14 possessions but 86% DE which is not unusual for him. He rarely misses a target. He opens you up with pinpoint passes . There was a reason Clarko kept him on the books.

Il be there. Regardless of coaching etc, i still support the players. The club is bigger than the coach...
Hahahaha, so will I, but I like to think I'd be strong enough not to go :).

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
if Dew has any concern for the PAFC he will get his team up to win and if Hinkley has any residual emotions for the GC he will get this team up and lose

Back