Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Swans vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Just skimmed the Norf Lollies Board. Cheered me up even more. Even after we have a poor loss and we are deba

Pretty close in terms of taking on bigger and heavier players. I guess Leo is part of that debate.

I always rated Craig Bolton above Leo. Ted and Grundy too. Leo was remarkable for how good he was as an undersized KPD, but had a shorter period of top-class defending than the others imo.

Rowbottom less stats and impact than KJ. Wonder if their will be outrage at the coach for playing a kid?
He is a beast in the NEAFL ...
We have to either play him in the guts (and let him suffer) or leave him in the twos until he is ready. Not much point sticking him forward.

Yes Johnny nearly lost it by going far too defensive. You win games not save them. If the backline and Dawson had not been so good we would have lost. They had opportunities. Very lucky.

In all it was a great effort fought like a dogfight. Scrapping all the way. There were some wonderful moments. Paps, no more needs to be said. Dawson's pinpoint delivery. Blakey and McCartin's contested footy. Hewee. He is now the mid I knew he could be. Aliir was wonderful down back. Worried Parker will get a week. Ollie was really good too.

I still have a huge beef. Rowbottom looked lost as a half forward. Stick him where he belongs, in the guts. He is aninside mid. He battled hard but the only times he was effective were when the ball was in a pack and he was extracting or leaving the pack. He seems to like the contested ball better than the outside ball. Then let him have a go.

Sam Reid's forms a hello a worry. He seems completely at a loss as to where to go, how the ball will bounce and about a metre off his opponent. He's slow and gives up the contest far too easily as though knocked up. If he is to stay in the team his form had better improve markedly in the next week or so. With Lance and Menzell coming in he could very well be the bloke who goes out. At this stage that is very much on the cards. He would be the biggest underachiever in the side at this time.

All in all it was a good performance. The first quarter was almost unwatchable it was so scrappy and mistake ridden by both sides. The last was about the same mainly because Longmire decided to put everybody behind the ball. You can't score if you don't have forwards.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rowbottom is still too easily pushed off the ball to play in the middle. He looks physically ready but I don't think he's strong enough.

Wrong thread I know but it was raised above. We have been blessed with some great defenders. Tilt,Carter Paul Harrison, crazy horse Carroll, Rantall, Bolton, Barry, Reg, Goldsmith, Clegg (when playing chb), Dunks, Teddy and Ramps were all wonderful players. Am sure there are plenty of others

Rowbottom is still too easily pushed off the ball to play in the middle. He looks physically ready but I don't think he's strong enough.

Could you point me to those times when he was easily pushed off the ball?

I honestly can't recall any of them and I watched the whole game.

I know he wasn't in the game much but I do remember one occasion when he got himself in the middle of a pack at half forward, picked up the ball with opposition players hanging off him and fed it out to another swans player.

Probably been mentioned a lot but I really liked Ryan Clarke's game. Got a tagging role and not only limited Higgins to about 12-15 fewer disposals than he has been averaging in recent weeks but Clarke got pretty much just as many disposals as Higgins.

Also it has probably been said a lot, have not read, but Hewett needs to be made into a full time in and under midfielder. He should never tag again, he is too good for it.

Rowbottom less stats and impact than KJ. Wonder if their will be outrage at the coach for playing a kid?

Relative to game time? Jack has not had a good game since 2016. When he gets the ball, he butchers it. He's a champ from a begone era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you point me to those times when he was easily pushed off the ball?

I honestly can't recall any of them and I watched the whole game.

I know he wasn't in the game much but I do remember one occasion when he got himself in the middle of a pack at half forward, picked up the ball with opposition players hanging off him and fed it out to another swans player.
He did that once? Congratulations to him...I’ll send him a certificate of merit!

Relative to game time? Jack has not had a good game since 2016. When he gets the ball, he butchers it. He's a champ from a begone era.

65% gametime.

Jack had 59% last week and got 8 touches and was clearly sore after his knock.

Not defending Jack at all here, just pointing it out. Rowbottom isn’t quite ready for AFL footy yet and that’s ok, he is only 18.

As for him playing forward you still need to make an impact even if it is deemed “out of position”. He didn’t do that but again that’s okay. In an ideal world he is still playing twos but a few too many injuries at the moment to allow that and I would rather play Rowbottom over say Rose.

65% gametime.

Jack had 59% last week and got 8 touches and was clearly sore after his knock.

Not defending Jack at all here, just pointing it out. Rowbottom isn’t quite ready for AFL footy yet and that’s ok, he is only 18.

As for him playing forward you still need to make an impact even if it is deemed “out of position”. He didn’t do that but again that’s okay. In an ideal world he is still playing twos but a few too many injuries at the moment to allow that and I would rather play Rowbottom over say Rose.

Where did Rowbottom play last night anyone got a breakdown

My qualm with Rowbottom wasn’t his physicality. You could point to dozens of occasions where our young Swans (and a certain 27 year old) were pushed off the ball too easily.

My concern was the fact he seemed to be hands on his knees at the end of each contest. More so than anyone out there. Fair enough, he’s the youngest one out there, but that tells me he’s not coping with the fitness required at the highest level at the minute. Even when guys like Papley or Hayward were easily brushed off, they at least had the fitness to keep up the pursuit and crack in for a third or fourth effort.

Would I still prefer him to Jack? Yes. Has he earned a chance? Yes. But as I said a year mostly in the NEAFL (followed by a big pre-season) will do him the world of good. We aren’t good enough yet to make things easy for teenagers.

Rowbottom is 18 being played out of position with a stack of room to improve while KJ is 32, not being played out of position and with no scope for improvement.

So stats only matter when it suits the argument. Shocked to be sitting here.

Nothing to do with Rowbottom.
Double isn't a standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back