Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Swans vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Okay so you obviously just don't rate Stoddart at all then.

That's fine.

Just strongly disagree.
Same day: Clarke 47, COR 41, Rowbottom 27 and they were the only players to stand out for Sydney. Rose had it 28 times and Cameron 22 and they were far from influential. Your mate, in the back line (where the ball was) had it 21 times and I recall was pretty ******* ordinary. HE IS AND WILL BE BE A PROVEN BUST!

Same day: Clarke 47, COR 41, Rowbottom 27 and they were the only players to stand out for Sydney. Rose had it 28 times and Cameron 22 and they were far from influential. Your mate, in the back line (where the ball was) had it 21 times and I recall was pretty ******* ordinary. HE IS AND WILL BE BE A PROVEN BUST!

We will see.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the sterling win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of your 5 mids (inside + wings) at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Hewett 22
Fox 21 (18w, 3i) - Polec 23
Parker 20
Heeney 15
Florent 13 (11w, 2i)
Clarke 11 (10w, 1i) - Higgins 20
Dawson 10 (5w, 5i)
Jones (inj) 8 (5i, 3w)
Papley 3
Reid 1 wing
O'Riordan 1 wing

Rucks:
Sinclair 22
Reid 3

1st Half - 15

Hewett 12
Fox 12 (9w, 3i)
Parker 12
Heeney 10
Florent 10 wing
Jones 8 (5i, 3w)
Dawson 6 (5w, 1i)
Clarke 3 (2w, 1i)
Papley 2

Sinclair 13
Reid 2

2nd Half - 10

Hewett 10
Fox 9 wing
Parker 8
Clarke 8 wing
Heeney 5
Dawson 4
Florent 3 (2i, 1w)
Papley 1
Reid 1 wing
O'Riordan 1 wing

Sinclair 9
Reid 1

Notes:
- Tags: Clarke on Higgins (1st half he manned him in general play but not at bounces aside for 1 of the 2 times that Higgins started on the wing, 2nd half they played on each other on the wing). Ling said Hewett was tagging Cunnington, but whilst Hewett frequently manned Cunnington whenever he was also at the bounce (20), I think they were going head to head rather than an actual tag. High probability that Fox tagged Polec after Q1, I never heard it mentioned on the coverage, but in this era wings tend to shift sides and don't often have a consistent opponent, but after being inside only in Q1, Fox manned Polec's wing for every bounce Polec was there bar the final one.
- Fox smashed his previous high for analysed games of starting at 9 bounces in Rd 17, 2018. He started inside 4 times last week.
- Most inside starts for Dawson in analysed games (his previous high was 2) - basically all of them were in the last: starting at 4 of Q4's 6 bounces before moving to be loose in defence. With these 5 starts, he has now had 8 overall inside starts in analysed games, finally equalling his 8 bounce appearances as a ruck last season.

Congratulations on the sterling win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of your 5 mids (inside + wings) at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Hewett 22
Fox 21 (18w, 3i) - Polec 23
Parker 20
Heeney 15
Florent 13 (11w, 2i)
Clarke 11 (10w, 1i) - Higgins 20
Dawson 10 (5w, 5i)
Jones (inj) 8 (5i, 3w)
Papley 3
Reid 1 wing
O'Riordan 1 wing

Rucks:
Sinclair 22
Reid 3

1st Half - 15

Hewett 12
Fox 12 (9w, 3i)
Parker 12
Heeney 10
Florent 10 wing
Jones 8 (5i, 3w)
Dawson 6 (5w, 1i)
Clarke 3 (2w, 1i)
Papley 2

Sinclair 13
Reid 2

2nd Half - 10

Hewett 10
Fox 9 wing
Parker 8
Clarke 8 wing
Heeney 5
Dawson 4
Florent 3 (2i, 1w)
Papley 1
Reid 1 wing
O'Riordan 1 wing

Sinclair 9
Reid 1

Notes:
- Tags: Clarke on Higgins (1st half he manned him in general play but not at bounces aside for 1 of the 2 times that Higgins started on the wing, 2nd half they played on each other on the wing). Ling said Hewett was tagging Cunnington, but whilst Hewett frequently manned Cunnington whenever he was also at the bounce (20), I think they were going head to head rather than an actual tag. High probability that Fox tagged Polec after Q1, I never heard it mentioned on the coverage, but in this era wings tend to shift sides and don't often have a consistent opponent, but after being inside only in Q1, Fox manned Polec's wing for every bounce Polec was there bar the final one.
- Fox smashed his previous high for analysed games of starting at 9 bounces in Rd 17, 2018. He started inside 4 times last week.
- Most inside starts for Dawson in analysed games (his previous high was 2) - basically all of them were in the last: starting at 4 of Q4's 6 bounces before moving to be loose in defence. With these 5 starts, he has now had 8 overall inside starts in analysed games, finally equalling his 8 bounce appearances as a ruck last season.

Thank you again for providing this data.

Have to stick your head into everything don't you ? I have you all worked out now. You are one of those people that sit behind a keyboard itching for a fight where your cowardice for the fight in the real World is highlighted. Remember what I said about intelligence ? You are not worthy of dialect with me.

What input device did you use to write that? Wasn't a keyboard was it?
Remember what you said about intelligence? It's dialogue not dialect.
Thanks for taking the time to project. :thumbsu:

Call me a schadenfreudist but there’s something joyous about seeing Brad Scott’s head explode.

Exactly. He does it better than anyone since Rocket Eade.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
I think that comments about negative tactics undersells just how difficult it was to win that game, especially since they were down 2 rotations for a good 20 minutes.

Carlton and Suns couldnt hold onto leads with similar experience & age, but Swans did it with arguably less.

That second quarter tho...!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just skimmed the Norf Lollies Board. Cheered me up even more. Even after we have a poor loss and we are debating fiercely. Snake et al are proclaiming lat rites. All good.
To be fair though, it's almost word for word what this board was like 2 weeks ago, down to blaming the coach, the playing list, the trading and even the bootstudder.

To be fair though, it's almost word for word what this board was like 2 weeks ago, down to blaming the coach, the playing list, the trading and even the bootstudder.

Well yes I am on record as saying the bootstudder should be reviewed

Was just perusing the game day thread for shits and giggles and realised scaryness is to blame for Jones injury!!! You spoke too soon mate!! Lol!!

Saturday at 8:17 PM #329
scaryness said "Jones pressure has been fantastic. Already up to 6 tackles and throwing himself around."

Saturday at 8:18 PM#331
GCB85 said "Jones hurt. You watch us finish the game with 1 fit player on the bench and be overrun purely and simply because of injuries."

Was just perusing the game day thread for shits and giggles and realised scaryness is to blame for Jones injury!!! You spoke too soon mate!! Lol!!

Saturday at 8:17 PM #329
scaryness said "Jones pressure has been fantastic. Already up to 6 tackles and throwing himself around."

Saturday at 8:18 PM#331
GCB85 said "Jones hurt. You watch us finish the game with 1 fit player on the bench and be overrun purely and simply because of injuries."

giphy.gif

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
i like how parker can just tread that line below getting a suspension or even fined. cunnington got him a cheap shot earlier on in the game and he was very patient and measured in the application of his vengeance. cunnington also does this well but i don't admire it as much because he plays for north.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just wanted to share a few thoughts on the match. Most of what I would normally say has already been covered, so just wanted to highlight some things that I don't think have been discussed as

Papley - Even though everyone seems in agreement that he played a fantastic game, I'm not sure there has been enough praise of him. A lot has gone to the younger players (and deservedly so), but in his 4th year of AFL football, Tom is playing exceptionally. Any time he gets the ball within 60m of goal, I feel like he's a chance. Just an excitement machine. But his workrate off the ball is fantastic as well and getting some time in the midfield has improved his overall game really well. The desperation he showed in the dying stages of the game against the Kangaroos (first to effect a spoil and get the ball further away from our defensive 50, then the chase down pressure tackle to impact their last kick back in) was inspirational. Fantastic effort after busting a gut all night.

O'Riordan - What's so likeable about his work on Saturday night was the he loves running in straight lines. That might sound a bit silly, but he sees a gap ahead of him and just pins the ears back. There's something that just feels right about having an Irishman causing havoc on the rebound from halfback!

Pressure - As someone showed earlier in the thread, we had a stack of players registering over 20 pressure acts throughout the game. So even though players like Fox, Reid, Thurlow etc didn't have massive stats, they still worked their backsides off to impact the game. It was no coincidence that we had manic levels of pressure across the field and that North had such terrible entries into their forward 50.

Clearances - I know the end tally was 41-35 in our favour, but it felt like a lot more than that, or at least our clearances seemed to be a lot cleaner than North's. That probably comes down to the pressure mentioned above, but also I think the midfield is gelling a bit more than it was earlier in the season. I think we've really struggled to adapt to the 6-6-6 rule, so maybe it's been some heavy tactical work during training over the last month or so that is starting to pay off.

But to echo a lot of other posters, it's fantastic to see the future of our club out there giving everything they've got and really taking it up to the opposition!!!

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes I did. The howling disgrace of a so-called commentary on 7 deliberately didn't say anything. Thompson pushing the kid into and OVER the fence was dangerous. The coward in the crowd and Thompson should be cited. The coward that punched Blakey should be banned for life. I don't care if they were soft punches. Crowds must never become physically involved with footballers on the field. Its much worse than climbing a goal post. Genuinely dangerous. It wasn't shown by 7 because no doubt bad publicity for the Tassie North Melbourne PR. There was a deliberate intention to put the kid Blakey out of action after half time as Scott resurrected the Leigh Mathews playbook. Out of ideas and any sense of fair play. Should be out of the game also. North Melbourne are a heaving disgrace. The attack on Blakey was deliberate and I would suggest mentioned in the grub's dressing sheds at half time.

Think I missed that one chanel flicking to the election. I just saw one where he got pushed in the general direction of the fence.
Anyway he's got no problem at all standing up for himself as far as I've seen so far. Think he's had good advice from dad.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes his marking in the last and a punch away were very good. But on the whole it was a disappointing night for Sam. In fact this year has been very disappointing. I know he has had a lot of time out of the game and this has impacted. But the reality is that if Menzell and Lance were available now he would not be playing.

Another who is having some really disappointing games is Will Hayward. He is not terribly consistent. One week he will be an absolute match winner, not that we have won too many this year, the next non existent. Last night he was poor.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I saw one incidence of Hayward at a centre bounce I think, just got the tap on the fly and glided away from congestion at pace looking to kick it into attack. Reminds me of Lachie Whitfield sometimes on a wing. Usually a dead eye shot too, though has missed a few last couple of weeks he'd normaly hit. If they play Menzel he might end up on a wing.
Still think the sky is the limit with him - wouldn't surprise me at all if he were our best player in a year's time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back