Review Round 9, 2019 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Q2

19:26 - Nice little palm down to Rozee by Motlop, who combines with Atley for the one two and the delivery to Butters for the set shot goal.

18:26 - Kick from Broadbent into the corridor sets up Boak to give off the handball to Byrne-Jones running forward (always does better when he's more attacking) to deliver inside 50. Too bad Rozee slipped over after crumbing Frampton bringing the ball to ground and had to handball it to Motlop.

16:06 - Lienert gets called for holding the ball inside defensive 50. Luckily it's a point from the set shot.

15:20 - David King says that Dew is trying to isolate Sexton on Garner due to poor positioning.

14:39 - Rockliff gets reported for tripping. Stupid and will cost him money.

14:02 - Gold Coast were playing 4 forwards and pushing an extra into midfield and an extra down back, hence why they were able to intercept mark easily. Nice play between Byrne-Jones, Ryder, Lienert and Lycett ends up as nothing because of it.

13:52 - Again, Lycett just bombs it in to a 7 on 5 situation. Gold Coast were running with Adelaide's playbook.

13:02 - If you can get two hands to the ball Lienert, you can mark the ball.

12:43 - No point in just kicking it forward out of congestion Houston when you don't even know where you are kicking.

11:02 - And as predicted, Sexton marks the ball inside 50 because of Garner's poor positioning which allows him to get separation and take an uncontested mark. Needs to tighten up in his zoning. Luckily the shot hit the post.

10:05 - Strength from Atley to break the tackle. Nice. Great kick from Byrne-Jones to Garner on the run who delivers nicely to Sam Gray, who then goes over the top to Butters. Poor team care from Frampton to turn his back on his opponent in Hombsch and allow him to spoil the Butters kick to a free Westhoff - an example of why you should always engage your defender at all times until you are certain your teammate is taking a set shot. Cost us a goal.

9:30 - No, Ricciuto, Ryder switching the kick to Rockliff wouldn't have been a turnover.

8:43 - Another nice handball from Atley in traffic on the up to Boak.

7:52 - Lienert gets beaten for pace by his man. He's not going to get anywhere near the contest the ensues, but decides to follow him up anyway. Garner also gets taken out of the contest by not being in the right position. Ends up being a goal to Gold Coast because two defenders aren't where they are supposed to be.

7:07 - Howard and Broadbent show Lienert and Garner how it's done - two on three and the ball ends up with Atley at the front of the pack who handballs to Byrne-Jones and we are away.

6:18 - Broadbent defends well on Swallow and doesn't give away a free kick front on, enabling Butters to get the ball to Lienert for the dump kick and reset.

5:38 - Good defence by Garner on King - came off Sexton to make the spoil and was the catalyst for a goal to Sam Gray. Much better play.

3:50 - Great play from Rozee to catch a Suns player holding the ball. Crap play from Rozee to emulate Butters in the first quarter and turn the ball over with a crap kick to a Suns player. Lazy.

2:38 - Nice intercept mark from Garner - nothing spectacular about it, but it shows his positioning was improving over the quarter and he was starting to figure out that being proactive in defence is the way to go at AFL level.

1:48 - Sloppy handball by Gray at true centre half forward to Powell-Pepper on the run cost a potential shot on goal.

0:51 - Garner gets into a great position to mop up the ground ball entry but doesn't get behind the ball and fumbles it. He'll learn.

0:24 - Garner again with a great bit of play, this time breaking off his man to hit the contest and then tackle an opponent. Too bad his good work resulted in a deliberate out of bounds by Duursma.

Summary

Again, doing good stuff, just ******* up in the wrong areas. Gold Coast were playing the Adelaide gameplan of flooding players back into defence, so it was good practice for us to see it against a team that couldn't execute it as well in a lower pressure game. There was nothing bad about how we were playing at all - everyone was doing their job, it just wasn't coming off at times.

Part of me thinks that Garner will end up being a superior version of Byrne-Jones. That's the role I'd be playing in him. Darcy had a good game, but he had a good game off the back of other players doing the defensive work for him and him being able to be the +1 in the midfield. I reckon Garner would be able to do that as well as defending well, which is what Byrne-Jones can't do.

I'd almost be tempted to leave the side as it is for awhile and see what it can do.

I think that was the one where Westhoff was screaming his head off to kick it to him and then Butters butched the ball. One of those seniority type things?

Nah, that was the one where Frampton turned his back on Hombsch and walked toward the point post for some strange reason instead of putting body on him which allowed Hombsch to spoil a good kick to an open Westhoff.

1:48 - Sloppy handball by Gray at true centre half forward to Powell-Pepper on the run cost a potential shot on goal.
I remember this play in particular. Sammy forsees the play unfolding, he and SPP were on the same page, sets himself to hand the ball, but misses.

Gray could have handed the ball better, but it wasn't an easy pass. This kind of mistake is fine. There were more positives on the play than negatives.

I remember this play in particular. Sammy forsees the play unfolding, he and SPP were on the same page, sets himself to hand the ball, but misses.

Gray could have handed the ball better, but it wasn't an easy pass. This kind of mistake is fine. There were more positives on the play than negatives.

It’s because it wasn’t an easy pass that it shouldn’t have been attempted. Do the fundamentals at an elite level, and the rest will take care of itself. The easier you make it look, the greater the aura grows.

We took a while to get going, and looked like we were unprepared for the wet weather that was predicted all week. We gifted the SUNS three goals in the first term from horrific switching kicking errors, and looked in trouble at half time.

But we bore down, and absolutely dominated the second half, as the Gold Coast fell away in their swarming and we found more space. We locked it in the forward half for long chunks, and despite some poor finishing the weight of possession and proximity to goal saw us inevitably load up. Clean handling by classy players like Boak, Rozee and SPP, and a competitive tall forward, was enough to score a much-needed win and some bonus percentage, as well as momentum going to Tasmania next week.

PLAYERS:

Powell-Pepper- Seemed to be playing timid in the first half, staying off the packs and a bit fumbly, but lifted after half time, and ended up one of our best. Barrels the ball forward a little haphazardly sometimes, but I saw a couple of Suns hesitate at putting their bodies in his path. 7.5/10

Ryder - Spent more time in ruck today than usual, to my eye, and relished the opportunity to get involved. Not a day for high marks, but he seemed to appreciate Frampton's presence as the crash forward and kicked a clutch set shot. 6/10

Broadbent - Not bad, none of the defenders had much to do after halftime, but he kept his feet and handled the greasy ball well, and was hardly beaten in any contests. 5/10

Motlop - Horrible until the game opened up, then did a couple of nice things to set up goals. It was most telling that, early on, he failed again to bodyline the ball, and avoided hard contact. Too soft, a pretty player who'll only ever be icing. I'd drop him. 3/10

Boak - Superb again, lifted the team on his shoulders and led them to victory. I've said it nearly every week, but his ball-handling both in close and in space is vastly improved this year. Baffling that he wasn't Captain for the day, he is the spiritual leader. 9/10

Rockliff - Reported for tripping, a trivial incident but indicative of his headspace. Around packs, Tommy is our organiser and distributor, and today he found enough space to be effective. 6/10

Frampton - Three goals is better than any other marking forward this season, bar Westy in R1, and his competitiveness and feistiness was exactly what we have been screaming for. Will probably always have discipline problems like the one that cost Amon a goal, but I can live with that while his attack on the ball is ferocious. 7/10

Amon - Pretty good, kicked a goal and had another one cancelled by a trigger-happy ump, and ran up and down the wing with purpose all day. 6/10

Clurey - Brilliant, has really arrived as a reliable KPD. Absolutely shut 2mP out of the game despite conceding height and weight, and his positioning kept the SUNS from breaking loose behind him. 8/10

Butters - Obviously needed the rest, it looked like his zip was back. His slight frame is not really built for wet weather, but he exhibited his clean skills at times, despite a couple of execution errors. Still drops out of the game for periods, and has fallen behind Rozee and Dursma in his development, but absolutely worth his spot in this team as a creative half-forward. 6/10

Rozee - Love his attitude, he wants to get involved and bring his team-mates into the game. Days like today allow him to shine, his class stands out when others are fumbling. 7/10

Hombsch - Typical Jack game, defended well and conceded 3 goals to his direct opponent. Is just too slow to keep up with smaller players, and not strong enough to compete with gorillaz, but still love you, Hombschy, you're a great guy. 5/10

Duursma - Has been our best first-year player; ahead of Rozee's class and Butters' flashiness, Xavier's consistency during games and weekly has been outstanding. Runs harder for longer, no wonder the coach loves him. Absolute beauty a long term wingman at the highest level. 8/10

Farrell - Gives us something different, a clever half-forward reminiscent of early Robbie but with the utter confidence to kick goals from set-shots. 3 goals, and good decisions to ignore the glory-seeking Motlop and Gray when he knew he would nail the target. Like him, happy to keep him in, even ahead of Zakkary Margarine. 7/10

Garner - Great debut, looked very assured in defence. Dew tried to expose him deep on Sexton, yet he handled it with aplomb, and that incidence where he left his man to neutralise a King mark was a pivotal moment. Loooks like he has a future at the top level. 7/10

Lycett - Very good in ruck; despite conceding height to Witts he dominated the in-form Sun in ruck contests and around the ground. Conceded more rucking time to Ryder, and I thought he looked fresher for longer. 6/10

Atley - Not confident that Joey will find a spot in this line-up, tbh Trengove would have been a better option today. Was no different to Drew, in that he played 5th banana at stoppages, and did nothing outstanding. Sorry, but he looks a dime-a-dozen vanilla inside mid. 4/10

Byrne-Jones - Magnificent today, as an attacking half-back. Really had no respect for his opponent and fert free to run free and create, and relished the freedom. I was surprised how clean he was in the conditions, he should never be used as a lockdown back pocket again. 8/10

Westhoff - Still not good, is falling from grace quickly. Cannot be used as a KPF, as he has no presence, and might be losing some of his flexibilty, as he doesn't have the option of moving into the ruck to get involved in a game anymore. Fast running out of credits - he has no confidence as a set shot, and actively trues to avoid the responsibilty. 3/10

Lienert - Very good, used his thumping kick to maximum effect today to clear the SUNSscrums and looks composed and decisive with the ball. Has minimised the effect of Jonas' absence, and deserves to keep his spot upon the skipper's return. 7/10

Houston - Star. So reliable, both as a defender and with the ball in his hands. Deserves better national recognition for his form, will be very high up in our B&F thus far. 8/10

Howard - Inexplicably given Captaincy for the day; even more unbelievably, was sent back into defence after his heroics last week. At least he kept debutant King quiet, but gave away 2 goals with horrible disposal and decisions. 6/10

Gray - We played the SUNS, he was always going to be good. Replicate that against a decent team and I'll start to rate him. 7/10
As with your reflections last week, excellent.

But your Sam Gray hate demeans your efforts. Open yer eyes!

It’s because it wasn’t an easy pass that it shouldn’t have been attempted. Do the fundamentals at an elite level, and the rest will take care of itself. The easier you make it look, the greater the aura grows.
I don't remember the options. I was tired. I just watched the finals minutes of Q2 before sleeping.

SPP's run caught my attention, and I saw the open space before him. Then, Gray looks at him, and I anticipated the play. I didn't see what else could Sammy have done.

As soon as the handball wasn't effective, I swore at the phone (if my wife had awaken, I would have been in trouble!). The chances of ending in goal were quite good, if my memory isn't tricking me.

Nah, that was the one where Frampton turned his back on Hombsch and walked toward the point post for some strange reason instead of putting body on him which allowed Hombsch to spoil a good kick to an open Westhoff.
Frampton would have assumed correctly that Butters was having a shot on goal.

5 weeks to the next home game. Great scheduling Gil :X

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, we should have been away this week to balance things up but it was our decision to play in China and we need the bye after the trip. We get three home games in four weeks after the Freo game so it is not as bad as it could be.

Robbie Gray
Charlie Dixon
Tom Jonas
Ollie Wines
Hamish Hartlett

Any 3 of these 5 will make a big difference to most teams.

I'm optimistic for the first time in ages, Ken is the worry.

Frampton would have assumed correctly that Butters was having a shot on goal.

He assumed wrong.

Never turn your back on the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only saw the 2nd half live and watched the replay, glad i missed the 1st half!

We dominated 2nd half but as with most weeks we cant turn a truck load of inside 50s into a big score, but ill take the win especially with no more injuries.

Loved the games of Boak, Clurey, DBJ and Sgray

Enjoyed the class of rozee, farrell and dursma and the hardness of butters and thought SPP was great in the 2nd half.

Even thought motlop slowly improved throughout he game as his confidence improved.

Good debut from garner, great peel off and spoil 2nd?

Broadbent, Lienert, howard and amon were solid

Onto the hawks

PORT ADELAIDE

It was a tough slog — but the Power came away with the four points against Gold Coast. The Suns led at half time, before a second-half surge resulted in the Power taking control, with 35 more inside 50s after the main break.

IN THE VOTES

Travis Boak produced a big four quarter effort as he collected 36 disposals and had seven clearances. He was well supported by Tom Rockliff (30 disposals) and Sam Powell-Pepper (22 disposals). Young gun Connor Rozee also kicked two goals.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

Steven Motlop (11 disposals) will be on the chopping block after a subpar performance, but a number of the Power’s young guns did everything they could to suggest they will be picked for Round 10. They did win the contested possessions (179-162) but lost the clearances 43 to 38.

THE MAGOOS

Despite racking up some big numbers, Port went down to Adelaide in the SANFL. Jack Trengove continued his awesome SANFL season with 37 disposals, while Willem Drew had 32 himself and Riley Bonner (29 disposals) had it on a string across half-back. Tobin Cox starred with five goals up forward.

GRADE

B+

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/df1ba53a268941eb144ae6caf7b2dc85

So how much further ahead will Rozee be in the AFL rising star ratings thingy after this weekend?
like i have said earlier, out of the top 15 draft picks this year i dont think there is 1 i would swap for any other top 15 player except maybe Butters for Rankin but we will get him back soon anyway

Frampton vs Marshall is a convo that should be shelved until we have a fit and firing Dixon in the team, and even then it should be debated against the merits of playing all three.
in a perfect world it should be a Frampton - Marshall duo, as a team working for each other to create space and scoring opportunities, If Frampton were to play every game this year we could be saying Frampton over Dixon, even better could you imagine Ken playing 3 tall forwards in the same team, Charlie at CHF and on the wing, Frampton deep and Marshall getting the worse defender and causing havoc.... wishingful thinking because i doubt this has even gone through Kens head

Q1 Port 3.1:19; GC 4.4:28 (-9)
Q2 Port 3.2:20; GC 2.3:15 (+5)
Q3 Port 3.5:23; GC 1.1:7 (+16)
Q4 Port 4.3:27; GC 0.1:1 (+26)

1H Port 6.3:39; GC 6.7:43 (-4)
2H Port 7.8:50; GC 1.2:8 (+42)

FT Port 13.11:89; GC 7.9:51 (+38)
----

Scoring Shots

Q1 Port 4; GC 8 (-4)
Q2 Port 5; GC 5 (0)
Q3 Port 8; GC 2 (+6)