Review Round 9, 2019 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone get the vibe in the post match press conference that Hinkley has come to terms that we are rebuilding

No.

I got the vibe that he was telling everyone that we are playing kids due to injuries and he’d rather have his first choice 22 out on the park.

Did anyone get the vibe in the post match press conference that Hinkley has come to terms that we are rebuilding
The whole club has made that patently obvious, especially the list managers at the convention. They don't want to call it a rebuild, but we all know it is. Rebuild/refresh, whatever you call it, the focus for this year was never a premiership given our off-season.

NH jnr played his own footy game at 11.30 but we still managed to get there at quarter time. I got a park pretty much directly opposite the oval and was back to the car almost right on two hours so no parking fine. Seriously considering arriving at quarter time for every game now for the rest of the season. Our first quarters are always s**t.

Happy with the rest of the game. Three quarter time I said I wanted a six goal win and we got it so can't complain.

Kids Karaoke can * right off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good second half when we do our traditional completely shutdown and shut out Gold Coast. They played 2 behind the ball for a good chunk of the first half and all of the second half. Our mid field was soft in the first quarter and Witts was supplying theirs and they looked good.

We gotta do something about getting better value for territory dominance and inside 50 dominance. That should improve when we have Dixon, Ebert and Robbie back playing in forward lines and that's why i hope they stay with Billy and push Hoff to the wing.

44- 9 was the inside 50's for the 2nd half resulted in 7.8 v 1.2 is a poor return for so much dominance. Yes it was slippery and the ball a piece of soap and we bombed, but we also fart arsed around and wasted opportunities like Butters dopey pass when he should have had a shot, Farrell kicking to Sam Gray running back towards goal when he could have had a shot or kicked to a player leading at him.

We might need 100 inside 50's to kick 20 goals.

Robbie Gray
Charlie Dixon
Tom Jonas
Ollie Wines
Hamish Hartlett

Any 3 of these 5 will make a big difference to most teams.

I'm optimistic for the first time in ages, Ken is the worry.

Yesterday's game perfectly illustrated why these outs are overstated.

First half we played s**t football. Second half, we blitzed them. The opponent was poor, but it's not like our best 22 has never struggled in a game like that before. The football we played in the second half was as good as what our so called best 22 are capable of.

These young guys are still professional footballers. And they're hungry for a chance. They won't and don't let us down.

Not convinced all of those 'Snr' Ins make us a lot better. Is a cool story at the moment to run with, but I have seen that full side before under the Hinkley (lack) of forward structure get pantsed.

Not convinced all of those 'Snr' Ins make us a lot better. Is a cool story at the moment to run with, but I have seen that full side before under the Hinkley (lack) of forward structure get pantsed.
Yesterday's game perfectly illustrated why these outs are overstated.

First half we played **** football. Second half, we blitzed them. The opponent was poor, but it's not like our best 22 has never struggled in a game like that before. The football we played in the second half was as good as what our so called best 22 are capable of.

These young guys are still professional footballers. And they're hungry for a chance. They won't and don't let us down.

C'arn!

Ridiculous, isn't it?

"Hey, I know you've got an 2018 All Australian in Robbie Gray out injured, but we don't need him because we've got this new model, so * him and you."

"Hey, you know what Hartlett does against strong opponents by screening off, taking intercept marks and being a good defender? Well, we've found a replacement for him after one game against a bottom four opponent. Again, * him and you."

"Ollie Wines? Is he the guy that averages 25+ possessions a game and opposition sides have to collapse on because they don't want him getting the ball out to his team mates? Yeah, he dominated the reigning premiers before picking up an injury to his foot, but still...wouldn't we be better off playing a no name like Atley?"

"Nah, Dixon is worse than Josh Jenkins. I can't see him working in a forward line where teams are already triple teaming the likes of Westhoff, Ryder, Frampton and Lycett when they are up there."

"I'd rather play Jarrod Lienert than Tom Jonas as a key defender. He's much more reliable."

Westhoff is in shocking form, should be dropped. takes a mark inside 50 and gives it off to amon who was in a worse spot. no confidence in front of goal.
One thing that really annoyed me about Westhoff yesterday was his body language. It appeared to me that he spent the whole game sooking. Was trying to find someone else to blame other than himself for his poor game. It's the sort of behaviour you shouldn't see from a veteran.

It's quite odd that our last 2 best and fairests are in such poor form.

R Gray: Barely a shadow of himself this season so far. Lets see how he goes when he comes back.
H Hartlett: Not played senior footballl for over a year. Was a whipping boy for most of his career.
O Wines: Comes back in after being stupid, plays some of the worst football going, bagged by all and sundry. But, yeh.
Dixon: Coming of a leg snapping. Hope he gets back but not sure I would be putting all my eggs in that basket.

Sometime I think dreams and reality get a bit confused. I would be tempering my expectation on these guys being LOADS better than what we have currently running around. Sure, historically they should be upgrades, but lets see what they have first and also remember, we have had these guys in the past and failed.

Lets hope we take the second half form in to next week. I thought it was a really impressive second half after a pretty poor first half. Hoping that we can finally put 4 quarters together against the hawks because that is a massive game for us.

R Gray: Barely a shadow of himself this season so far. Lets see how he goes when he comes back.
H Hartlett: Not played senior footballl for over a year. Was a whipping boy for most of his career.
O Wines: Comes back in after being stupid, plays some of the worst football going, bagged by all and sundry. But, yeh.
Dixon: Coming of a leg snapping. Hope he gets back but not sure I would be putting all my eggs in that basket.

Sometime I think dreams and reality get a bit confused. I would be tempering my expectation on these guys being LOADS better than what we have currently running around. Sure, historically they should be upgrades, but lets see what they have first and also remember, we have had these guys in the past and failed.
You need to understand that wanting players coming back from long term injury (or short term injury preceded by career worst form) to show form in a lower pressure environment before bringing them back into the AFL side, particularly when the kids are all right, makes you a stupid know nothing who doesn’t value experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back