Review Round 9, 2019 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh, the clear lack of a team rule or system on the taking of set shots is the surest sign our coaching is balls.

Maybe. I can’t remember any of the coaches mentioning the issue (perhaps that’s part of the problem) outside of Lade suggesting the opposite last year, when the direction seemed to be for players to chip it around the F50 and find the best option. But apart from the obvious open man 25m in the clear situations surely a composed set shot yields better results?

Amon was fantastic today.

He's playing really well. 40% of his disposals this year are contested. He isn't shirking from contests and he is looking smooth and reliable with the footy.

I've been a massive critic of his, but he is really finding his niche in this side.

Maybe. I can’t remember any of the coaches mentioning the issue (perhaps that’s part of the problem) outside of Lade suggesting the opposite last year, when the direction seemed to be for players to chip it around the F50 and find the best option. But apart from the obvious open man 25m in the clear situations surely a composed set shot yields better results?
Exactly. I was going to bring up that Lade example too.

The fact we've been messing around with the ball inside 50 for the entire Hinkley reign is all the evidence you need though. It's a high school level math problem to work out how poor the probability is of making a short pass inside 50 to get a maybe 5-10% better chance set shot vs just taking the decent set shot you already have. How much is our collective coaching group getting paid btw?

Broadbent was an absolute liability the first quarter when it was relatively dry and everyone was fresh. The conditions from then on helped him immensely as the game became a slog and slowed down to near his pace.

Well i didn't mind it.

Game was wet, we have an inexperienced side with several experienced players out of form and Gold Coast play a scrappy game style. The crows thumped GCS but the first half of their game was two of the worst quarters you'll see, similar to today. Ask Adam Simpson and he'll tell you to always take the win because winning games of AFL is hard. So enjoy today's victory.

Overall: won through the centre as you would expect and seemed to have more structure moving forward. Unfortunately we couldn't stick a tackle in the first half and numerous mistakes gave Gold Coast the advantage. Second half saw us stick tackles, increase the pressure on Gold Coast and it was a matter of time until the flood gates opened. Whilst the first half gave me reason for concern, 5 minutes into the second half i started to relax and felt we had it, eventually it would click and it did. GCS were valiant and are a difficult side to beat. They have exceeded expectations thus far and are staying in games, sadly their style is almost unwatchable.

Forwards: our game style revolves around locking it inside forward 50, so we will have a high 50 entry to goal ratio. Better forward fifty entry and some stronger forward craft from our talls would seriously take us to an elite side.
At least Frampton was presenting, straightening us up and either, bringing it to ground or marking it. His second efforts were strong, disappeared from the game in patches but if he can bring that overall performance then he keeps his spot. I liked the confidence of Farrell and Rozee. S.Gray was good as always against a weak side. Westhoff was average - something is not clicking for him this year. Butters and all of the mids rolling forward were solid.

Mids: Generally solid performance. Rocky and Boak keep on keeping on. Amon was really good, has turned a corner. Atley showed some ability - he and Drew are worth getting games into. Ryder was better, more even game. Lycett was average. Motlop is off this year- something is really not right here.

Defence: Generally structure up well. Generally defend well and use the ball well moving forward. Yes they make mistakes, struggle under pressure at times and turn the ball over. Simple reality is that our most experienced defender is Broadbent and i think injuries have caught up with him, whilst no one else back there has reached 100 games, with Dougal, Garner, Lienert all under 50 games. Our next most experienced defender is Bonner, everyone else is on the bench. I like that this group seem to gel so well, play their role and keep the structure, they scrap at times and achieve some awesome play.They also burn the ball, turn it over, slip over, get beaten one on one, and make the wrong choice when defending but you have to accept that for now.

Atley solid but not good enough to keep Drew and Trengove out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, Trav Boak is credited with one hitout.

Did he nominate for a ruck contest at some point?
Yep in the SE flank/pocket, he roved his own tap and was hard up against the boaundary line and snapped a point on his left foot and took the score to 7.7.

lol after Doogs' howler in the second quarter that led to a Suns goal.

SMASH CUT TO:

31cjlj.gif

Even the dudes cutting the match highlights are in on the joke these days, lmao...

Players in the side today that didn't require a 1st or 2nd round pick to bring to the club.

Pick 38: Broadbent
Pick 51: Farrell
Pick 52: Byrne-Jones
Pick 56: Howard
Pick 60: Garner
Pick 68: Amon
Pick 71: Westhoff
Pick 84: Frampton
Rookie Pick 29: S.Gray
Rookie Pick 42: Lienert
Rookie Pick 45: Houston
Free Agent: Lycett, Rockliff, Motlop

Dougal is in his 4th season. Fos was in his 4th season when we named him captain coach...
Just saying...
lol. Fos went to war and debuted at 24.

I'm honestly not sure what to think about SPP. The guy needs to fix his kicking, in a big way. The way he flails the ball around when hes running and not steadying himself leads to some absolutely garbage disposal. Was going at 0% efficiency in the first.

He's close, but he has a lot to work on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back