Review Round 9, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy with all the ins this week. I also like what CEY brings to the team.

It looks like Cutler wasn’t the most popular bloke when he was with us. Most ex players in their first game still have a good chat to their old team mates but he seemed to want to get in a scrap every chance he got.

Really happy with all the ins this week. I also like what CEY brings to the team.

It looks like Cutler wasn’t the most popular bloke when he was with us. Most ex players in their first game still have a good chat to their old team mates but he seemed to want to get in a scrap every chance he got.

Probably felt like he was going to prove himself to them. Unneeded but some people are like that.

Probably felt like he was going to prove himself to them. Unneeded but some people are like that.

After seven years on the list I am pretty sure he had already given full and complete proofs of his character, dedication and skill ... and the best way to show that you have changed is to (deep I know) show that you have changed (case in point one Mitch Robbo!)

Just watched the replay - Witho and Answerth were very, very impressive. Witho looks to have found a really good balance with attacking and defensive kicks. I feel like Birchall has been a really positive influence on Withos approach to kicking, because the work Witho did was reminiscent of a young Grant Birchall. Very impressive.

Ballenden offered a lot more around the ground than Archie and could see him being a better ruck/forward option than Oscar (who looks destined to be a #1 ruck anyway) has been. Really worked into the game and you could see his confidence building. He's come a long way since last year.

Neale was extraordinary. Just so clean and plays so smart. Is a lock for the Brownlow surely. Berry was much improved on the previous week. His strength in the middle is becoming a real highlight. I think his decision making looked better this week.

McCarthy absolutely toweled Saad - scored on him while limiting his run. His work was very important when stopping Essendons run.

The most impressive aspect though was our ability to maintain our system and structure despite making 5 changes. That is the sign of a premiership calibre team and has been a highlight of Richmond and the Hawks. Genuine depth, but everyone knows the system and is a testament to us having a SQUAD that could make the grand final, not just 22 good players.
I have been thinking about the game and a few things stand out. Oscar is going to be a top number one ruckman. Next Witherden and Answerth are not merely depth players. They are players that can dominate their position.

The two new talls did OK. Imagine what we would be saying if it was 2016/7. The drool over them would be disgusting.

CEY is competent.

I think many of us were worried about two things arising from the lack or reserves. How can we decide on selection and what hope is there that a player who hasn't played a proper match for many months will be able to preform at an adequate level? The above quote makes the point that the new players fitted in so well which relieves another worry of mine that arises from the lack of reserves

Stef is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike as a forward.
100% agree. Lets invest in the young guys Oscar improving all the time and next year, should be #1 ruck. Ballenden to get a little bigger in the off season and train preseason as the 2nd ruck/forward. I don't want to see older players such as Stef and Birchall resign for 2021, we should back our youth who went well and hopefully give it to Richmond on Tuesday. Rich over 200 games +Andrews over 100 games and Gardiner over 100 games gives us enough experience in the backline. Time to trust Witho, Answerth, and hopefully Payne

No NEAFL means our players are playing scratch matches against AFL level talent week in and week out.
You would assume both sides will want to push players in match conditions to make sure the depth has a solid run.
Also think their be fringe players or those dropped in other sides out to prove something.

So maybe this is better than what they boys where getting smashing teams in the NEAFL last year.
Happy that Witho did the hard work and understood his spot in the 22 was not his to have but to earn.

No NEAFL means our players are playing scratch matches against AFL level talent week in and week out.
You would assume both sides will want to push players in match conditions to make sure the depth has a solid run.
Also think their be fringe players or those dropped in other sides out to prove something.

So maybe this is better than what they boys where getting smashing teams in the NEAFL last year.
Happy that Witho did the hard work and understood his spot in the 22 was not his to have but to earn.
Could be the making of him, knows he has to push himself and can't relax.

I thought Hodge blew him out of the water - you could tell he watches football unlike Carey who openly admitted he hasn't watched the Lions play much. The guy is a joke.

Couldn’t agree more. We are not bottom of the ladder - we are equal top and somewhat a chance for the flag... he should do his research and it was prime time tv too on a Friday night. Makes him look a touch incompetent really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen the list of things he's done? If not, you should research it. Spoilers include: sexual assault, glassing a woman, assaulting cops, being involved with bikies.

If all he'd done was sleep with his teammates wife, I'd be willing to put that down to a mistake and one he could move on from.
Getting flashbacks to listening to Caro talk about Garry Ablett snr.

Watching again now. Just finished the first quarter. Might skip the second & go straight to the third lol.

Some really simple set shots missed, still disappointing. I'll bet my lefty that if Linc hadn't gone off with the blood rule that would've been another goal too.
Speaking of your "lefty" what happened to that great poster who kept betting on things and losing vital parts?

Speaking of your "lefty" what happened to that great poster who kept betting on things and losing vital parts?
Dodongo , I think he started losing toes, fingers, arms and legs> so can't post anymore, still alive though.

MhpVB.gif

As far as I can tell, it's fine - it just allows opposition players to go in to mark Hipwood in what would normally be the restricted area, which is what the commentators finally got to figuring out at the end of their discussion.

Heh the umpires just explained what the rule was in the GWS game (and got it wrong there), but confirmed the commentators were wrong about whinging about Hipwood's goal.

It's meant to be called back if the player runs across the mark, including if they then play on. Hipwood never ran across the mark, so it was play on (correctly). The umpires just called it back against GWS after Lloyd didn't run across the mark.

Heh the umpires just explained what the rule was in the GWS game (and got it wrong there), but confirmed the commentators were wrong about whinging about Hipwood's goal.

It's meant to be called back if the player runs across the mark, including if they then play on. Hipwood never ran across the mark, so it was play on (correctly). The umpires just called it back against GWS after Lloyd didn't run across the mark.

It's amazing how often the commentators are totally wrong with their pontificating

Back