Review Round 9, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone tell me what Hipwood kept doing to giveaway frees to his opponent in the forward flank all night?

I swear he marked it a couple of times, only to have to hand it over every time.
Ball was touched when it was kicked two times.

Trying to look up rules re: throwing mouthguards. Especially with covid etc would they look down at throw saliva around?

Any chance of Robbo getting a week? Or am i getting influenced by nuffies on twitter

Wouldnt be surprised if he got a fine or a warning, not sure about an actual suspension though.

Ball was touched when it was kicked two times.

One of them he was almost instantly tackled after catching it.

He had no hope at all of disposing of the pill but the umpire couldn't blow HTB fast enough.

As far as I'm concerned that one was just as as as the McGrath one.

Has anyone felt like Hipwood's attitude has been pretty poor. I was genuinely disappointed watching him.

Others may not agree, but I thought he played like a seagull last night. Ran under the ball regularly and two times he stood next to a team mate and called for it. The big O call was fine although he just walked away and barely acknowledged oscar but the Witherden set shot was a lower percentage play.

Fair enough, you're not in form but your attitude should be non-negotiable.

Last edited:
Has anyone felt like Hipwood's attitude has been pretty poor. I was genuinely disappointed watching him.

Others may not agree, but I thought he played like a seagull last night. Ran under the ball regularly and two times he stood next to a team mate and called for it. The big O call was fine although he just walked away and barely acknowledged oscar but the Witherden set shot was a lower percentage play.

In terms of attitude Charlie’s the one that stands out for a dummy spit at least 3-4 times a game. Yeah he kicks goals and chases but at times he acts like a child when the ball doesn’t go his way

In terms of attitude Charlie’s the one that stands out for a dummy spit at least 3-4 times a game. Yeah he kicks goals and chases but at times he acts like a child when the ball doesn’t go his way

I mean, one of those times he LITERALLY had his arm held and he STILL kicked the goal, but should have been a free immediately.

I've noticed that too actually. He gets a bit demonstrative every time his teammates don't kick it into forward line how he wants it.

Depends if you want a Jack Riewoldt or a Schache

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been worried about Hippy’s head space, rather than saying he has a bad attitude. To me he seems to be trying too hard. Maybe trying to improve the physical nature of his game or maybe he just has high expectations on his performance. He does seem to get frustrated when he isn’t having an impact. those two touched “marks” probably didn’t help.

I am sure the coaching staff tell him to use his pace and mobility rather than getting into a physical push and shove. However this depends on how the ball is coming into the forward line which is generally a long kick to a spot 25 meters out just off centre. always a pack at this spot. Not an ideal situation for Hippy.

Time for some creative coaching? Maybe move him up to the wing when Ballenden and Skinner are on the ground?

really happy with what Skinner’ showed. took a few marks, contest well, picked up the pace of the game towards the end and got through the game with out injury.

Ballenden did enough to show he should be preferred to Smith. At least Connor still has scope for improvement.

Ballenden did enough to show he should be preferred to Smith. At least Connor still has scope for improvement.
interesting around the ground I think Ballenden skills are very good.
In the ruck he still needs to do work to catch up with Archie.
Personally I think like wicketkeepers in cricket now need to bat. Rucks supposed to do more around the ground than jump and tap.

Just watched the replay - Witho and Answerth were very, very impressive. Witho looks to have found a really good balance with attacking and defensive kicks. I feel like Birchall has been a really positive influence on Withos approach to kicking, because the work Witho did was reminiscent of a young Grant Birchall. Very impressive.

Ballenden offered a lot more around the ground than Archie and could see him being a better ruck/forward option than Oscar (who looks destined to be a #1 ruck anyway) has been. Really worked into the game and you could see his confidence building. He's come a long way since last year.

Neale was extraordinary. Just so clean and plays so smart. Is a lock for the Brownlow surely. Berry was much improved on the previous week. His strength in the middle is becoming a real highlight. I think his decision making looked better this week.

McCarthy absolutely toweled Saad - scored on him while limiting his run. His work was very important when stopping Essendons run.

The most impressive aspect though was our ability to maintain our system and structure despite making 5 changes. That is the sign of a premiership calibre team and has been a highlight of Richmond and the Hawks. Genuine depth, but everyone knows the system and is a testament to us having a SQUAD that could make the grand final, not just 22 good players.

Was a bit uncomfortable watching the first half and the frees we were getting.

Answerth played like a guy who wants his spot back. He’s not an in your face niggling defender who pushes the boundaries or tries to get in forwards heads. Just an honest player and that’s what I like about him. Although ah Chee is improving I’d rather Noah. I reckon he’ll be the cooler defender under the impending finals pressure.

Other posters have praised Witho and Noah enough, but their seamless transition is made all the more impressive by the fact they haven't played any meaningful footy (not scrimmages) in months - credit to them both for excelling on limited preparation.

While Connor looked good up front I thought his ruck work (particularly at boundary throw-ins) was pretty poor. Got out-bodied far too easily and proved we are one Oscar injury away from disaster. Hope he proves me wrong on Tuesday night.

All in all, our most complete performance of the season and how satisfying to finally put a team to the sword.

Almost feel like the Big O did a better ruck job than Stef. Stick Martin at half forward flank and McStay at half back?
Martin is not mobile or quick enough and his ball handling skills are not polished enough to do anything other than ruck.

Back