Preview Round 9 2020, Essendon vs Brisbane Lions, Metricon Stadium, Friday 31st July

Status
Not open for further replies.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Ahhh I need to get the ‘newbies’ numbers sorted in my head by tomorrow night. Hate it when mid yell I realise I’ve gotta cheer for the number cause I can remember who it is. There FIVE of the buggers.

old brain syndrome
They all look pretty different. Easy to tell who is who.

Slitherin9

Senior List
Oct 18, 2015
Hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting game. It's the first time in a fair while that the "second stringers" have been given a chance.
Will we keep up our winning form? Will Skinner or Ballenden kick some goals? Will the small defenders out-perform their more fancied team mates?
If we don't take a backwards step this week it's a good sign for our finals chances imo.

ess_brl_matchups_neafl.png

Our selected backline + Answerth vs Essendons' forward line + Cahill. I somehow suspect we're not searching for height for matchups.

#ess
HF Will Snelling, David Zaharakis, Darcy Parish
FF Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Jacob Townsend, Devon Smith
IC Ned Cahill
#brl
FB Callum Ah Chee, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner
HB Alex Witherden, Grant Birchall, Brandon Starcevich
IC Noah Answerth

View attachment 923288
Our selected backline + Answerth vs Essendons' forward line + Cahill. I somehow suspect we're not searching for height for matchups.

#ess
HF Will Snelling, David Zaharakis, Darcy Parish
FF Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Jacob Townsend, Devon Smith
IC Ned Cahill
#brl
FB Callum Ah Chee, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner
HB Alex Witherden, Grant Birchall, Brandon Starcevich
IC Noah Answerth
That's not really how our forward line will suit up. Parish and Smith play mostly inside mid, Snelling plays more of a wing role. Fill those spots with Stewart (199/96) and our resting ruck (202/108 and 205/107).

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Realistically it’s only two inexperienced players added to this weeks team.

Answerth and Witho were in the team every week last year, and CEY has plenty of experience.

So just the two tall who lack experience. And Smith isn’t exactly young either, considering he was drafted in 2015.

That's not really how our forward line will suit up. Parish and Smith play mostly inside mid, Snelling plays more of a wing role. Fill those spots with Stewart (199/96) and our resting ruck (202/108 and 205/107).
ess_brl_matchups_neafl.png

This is using Bellchambers as your resting ruck.

On the other end of the ground:
ess_brl_fwds_neafl.png

(selected positions, except Bailey swapped for Ballenden as our resting ruck).

#ess
FB Aaron Francis, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Mason Redman
HB Jordan Ridley, Michael Hurley, Adam Saad
#brl
HF Connor Ballenden, Cam Rayner, Lincoln McCarthy
FF Sam Skinner, Eric Hipwood, Charlie Cameron

TheZork

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unfortunately, 4 of the changes are to the forward line and backline, with only 1 (CEY) in the middle. We need to manage the midfielders.
I don't think we'll be affected by the Melbourne game tomorrow, but we will the Richmond, before the Melbourne game we got plenty of breaks. Its apparently the second game after coming off a short break where players feel it.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking forward to this game soooooooo much. New blood, or fresh meat - see how they go.
me too, been advocating for some of the young guys to gradually get some exposure as it can only benefit the squad in the long run. Good luck to them sure they will do their roles

I don't think we'll be affected by the Melbourne game tomorrow, but we will the Richmond, before the Melbourne game we got plenty of breaks. Its apparently the second game after coming off a short break where players feel it.

We are coming off the wet weather slogging though. That's what concerns me.
Hope we have a good game tomorrow and add more fresh legs for Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back