Autopsy Round 9, 2020: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

The action and force from Carlisle was no worse than what Rampe was dishing out himself so his hand cant have been that injured.

Love that post. Reckon you might've saved Jake's bacon. Everyone should post that clip on their social media outlets. Just to make sure that Caroline 'Carlisle hater' Wilson gets to see it

It was bizzare when he debuted as a forward. Even in the VFL he had been playing mid/forward. It was bizzare because he got recuited as an elite small back. In fact, he had been previously been tried in his u/18 year as more of a mid then he went back to murray as a 19 year old and dominated at half back. Therefor, its no surprise he's been dominant at half back.
And one of the article m&s I read on him said that he loves being a backman.

I know Coffield completely missed a handball that resulted in Sydney goal but for a kid who some on here were doubting his ability, he played a very good game. 17 disposals, 8 marks and more importantly a team high 8 intercepts that lead to 3 St Kilda goals. I think a best on ground performance is not that far away.
Just on our forward line, our small forwards have been terrific this year but the thing I find unbelievable is something the Fox commentary mentioned during the game. The leading ground ball winner in the forward line at the Saints is Max King. A bloke over 200cm. I was a little unsure when we first drafted him but I'm well and truly sold now.

I know Coffield completely missed a handball that resulted in Sydney goal but for a kid who some on here were doubting his ability, he played a very good game. 17 disposals, 8 marks and more importantly a team high 8 intercepts that lead to 3 St Kilda goals. I think a best on ground performance is not that far away.
Just on our forward line, our small forwards have been terrific this year but the thing I find unbelievable is something the Fox commentary mentioned during the game. The leading ground ball winner in the forward line at the Saints is Max King. A bloke over 200cm. I was a little unsure when we first drafted him but I'm well and truly sold now.

Yeah, I actually rated his game very highly, I thought his work in traffic was unbelievable. Defenders are going to make mistakes, for a 26 game player he's extraordinarily reliable. I was one who didn't rate him at the draft and thought early on he was going to be another Blake Acres type that would play 100 promising games and fall into obscurity. Now I'm one of his biggest fans, he's won me over. I can't wait to see what guys like him, Hunter and Paton look like at 100+ games now.

I thought Coffield's sliding mark into traffic early on was a great piece of play. Considering he's not yet 21, and only has 26 games under the belt, he's not half bad, and when he does have something go wrong, he usually makes up for it with something good elsewhere in the game.

Can't wait until he hits 50+ games, because I reckon he'll be very close to being rock-solid, based on his improvement so far in 2020.

Worth noting he didn't see a win until his 15th game (had the Carlisle screwjob draw against GWS as his 3rd game), but Saints have been 9-3 with him in the team since that first win.

(Edit: Apologies to gringo - I didn't see your response, and I've said a lot of the same stuff)

Steele and Jones are averaging basically the same amount of contested possessions per game.
I remember some fans suggesting Jones wasn't a great contested ball winner when we were into him when in fact it was just that Longmire continued to play him out of position.

Every time they'd throw him in the middle he'd win a heap of contested footy and then within a few weeks he was back on the back flank.

He's currently 21 in the comp and seems to be getting better on the inside every week.

He and Steele are becoming a handy duo on the inside.

I remember some fans suggesting Jones wasn't a great contested ball winner when we were into him when in fact it was just that Longmire continued to play him out of position.

Every time they'd throw him in the middle he'd win a heap of contested footy and then within a few weeks he was back on the back flank.

He's currently 21 in the comp and seems to be getting better on the inside every week.

Probably me, I wasn't a fan… needless to say I'm pretty happy with his work at the moment.

If he can iron out some of his errant long kicks from his game I'll be an even bigger fan.

He's not a huge accumulator so needs to make his possessions count. 2 effective kicks from 8 against sydney, that's going to be an issue against good sides.

He's an exciting player though, love those break-aways from congestion.

Jones is one of the mysteries of footy because even your everyday punter who didn't know a whole lot could see that Jones was a very good inside player, and yet Sydney refused to play him there. It's not a great look, and reflects pretty poorly on Longmire's coaching ability.

Probably me, I wasn't a fan… needless to say I'm pretty happy with his work at the moment.

If he can iron out some of his errant long kicks from his game I'll be an even bigger fan.

He's not a huge accumulator so needs to make his possessions count. 2 effective kicks from 8 against sydney, that's going to be an issue against good sides.

His accumulating has been pretty good considering the short quarters. He’s getting 20 touches this year correlates to around 25 in normal length matches.

His kicking isn’t amazing but he’s playing as an inside mid so it doesn’t bother me. 55% kicking efficiency this year isn’t terrible for someone who plays the way he does.

Jones is one of the mysteries of footy because even your everyday punter who didn't know a whole lot could see that Jones was a very good inside player, and yet Sydney refused to play him there. It's not a great look, and reflects pretty poorly on Longmire's coaching ability.
I think Longmire is one of the better coaches. They've had some of the best midfielders we've seen in the last decade or so, where to play Jones isn't something I think he would have lost a lot of sleep over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was an all Australian at U/!8 level, he was an absolute draft steal. He will be in our midfield rotations in a year or two. Brave and has really good explosion and awareness, sees the chain before he gets the ball. Yeah and to repeat; brave.

Great overhead for his size as well!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You probably need to take into account the smaller games.

He's only 2 touches a game less than Steele and 1 more than Gresham.

He was able to get a good amount of it against the Dogs and Port as well as Richmond before his injury.

Pretty hard to carry another inside mid for them. Parker and Kennedy are guns so can't be dropped and can't play elsewhere. You'd think after seeing him play mid they'd be regretting it though, they need some pace out of the middle. Florent and Rowbotham might provide a bit more run I guess.

Noticed the best AFL team so far, named in The Age by whoever journo the other day- the best we could do was Butler on the bench. Must have a lot of ordinary players as a 4th on the ladder team.
Who would you have in the "best" side?

For me Jack Steele potentially especially on recent form

Anyone else and who do they replace?

Noticed the best AFL team so far, named in The Age by whoever journo the other day- the best we could do was Butler on the bench. Must have a lot of ordinary players as a 4th on the ladder team.

This more reflects on how even our team has been this year. Steele is the only other in the mix. He has taken the mantle off Yeo as the best two way player in the comp this year.

Coaches Votes

VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)
8 Zak Jones (STK)
7 Jack Steele (STK)
7 Jade Gresham (STK)
6 Nick Hind (STK)
1 Hunter Clark (STK)
1 Luke Parker (SYD)

Steele moves to equal 2nd overall with 39 votes (equal with Boak). He has now polled votes in 8/9 rounds which is the most of any player.

Voting breakdown would be
5 Gresh/Steele
4 Jones/Jones
3 Hind/Hind
2 Steele/Gresh
1 Hunter/Parker

Id rather have a nice even team than two stars and the bottom five being shite

Probably helps him that Ratten is the coach - they only had contested possession stats for the last few years of Ratten's playing career, but he was going at around 50/50 CP/UP - I reckon Jones and Steele are exactly his kind of player to mentor, and encourage to get down and dirty for the contested ball.

He's still young enough to improve his imperfections, but what we're getting so far is pretty good to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back