Autopsy Round 9, 2020: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

Rizz64

Team Captain
Oct 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
It was bizzare when he debuted as a forward. Even in the VFL he had been playing mid/forward. It was bizzare because he got recuited as an elite small back. In fact, he had been previously been tried in his u/18 year as more of a mid then he went back to murray as a 19 year old and dominated at half back. Therefor, its no surprise he's been dominant at half back.

It was bizarre?

You found it bizarre that Richo took all australian defenders and got them to play forward???

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing that has most pleasantly surprised me about Hind is that, when he was drafted and from when he played in the VFL, the knock on him was he was perceived to be a ball butcher with suspect decision-making. No one questioned his speed, more what he did with it.

As someone who only watches senior matches, I’ve never seen his disposal deficiencies in the first team. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. He’s one of the few blokes that, when he gets the ball, you can see he scans to see what the best option is, then almost always finds it. He doesn’t just blindly bomb it.

In my opinion, Hind is one of our best pick-ups of the last few years. He’s just so exciting to watch as well, he is bloody lightning out there.

He still needs to find some consistency but if he does, look out. We could legit have one of the forward stars of the comp on our hands.
Yeah at the time, I was unsure of drafting him because if his kicking, but he tends to hit a lot of nice kicks to leading players and lowers his eyes and he kicks at goal pretty well. His action myb doesn't look that good cos he is always running at 40km p/hr but is very effective. He has been dynamite since coming in

Fiftyfifty

Debutant
Apr 4, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing that has most pleasantly surprised me about Hind is that, when he was drafted and from when he played in the VFL, the knock on him was he was perceived to be a ball butcher with suspect decision-making. No one questioned his speed, more what he did with it.

As someone who only watches senior matches, I’ve never seen his disposal deficiencies in the first team. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. He’s one of the few blokes that, when he gets the ball, you can see he scans to see what the best option is, then almost always finds it. He doesn’t just blindly bomb it.

In my opinion, Hind is one of our best pick-ups of the last few years. He’s just so exciting to watch as well, he is bloody lightning out there.

He still needs to find some consistency but if he does, look out. We could legit have one of the forward stars of the comp on our hands.
Totally agree. Have said all a long that all he needed was a chance. Many didn't agree. But it really doesn't matter what any of us say, he will show wgat he can do given a chance. It's all that anyone needs, if they have the talent or skills it will show.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Long bow that one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It what way?

Reckon thats a very reasonable take on things.

We all want to hang, draw & quarter Papley for flopping at times but that looked to me like a slip & then a frustrated lay down.

He had an ordinary night... and after the loss of his mate it’s pretty safe to say he was pretty disappointed with his own performance & the outcome of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moquo

Hall of Farmer
Jun 10, 2005
Sexyland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
suck arse
It what way?

We all want to hang, draw & quarter Papley for flopping at times but that looked to me like a slip & then a frustrated lay down.

He had an ordinary night... and after the loss of his mate it’s pretty safe to say he was pretty disappointed with his own performance & the outcome of the game.

Yeah, that sounds fair enough

Dont care about so called experts and their AA teams.

I am old enough to remember we had 4 superstars in Lockett, Harvey, Burke and Winmar, and never won a cracker

Even a decade ago we had Goddard, Roo, Dal, Milne and Lenny and still came up short.

If we dont get one AA but win a flag would anyone mind?

Shows the even ness and balance of our team over individual.
Still if Kelly wants to come over....

I'm still adamant that the AFL screwed us in '09 as much as that first quarter "lets miss the ball entirely" screwed ourselves.

Mid September final, Chappys procedure to get up for the game outlawed first week October. That is very very convenient timing to then have a goal from a right angled deflection from a post with no one giving a s**t about it until "we'll put cameras in, but do sweet FA for the history of the game".

Sure, we could have and should have done better than we did, but get stuffed if the Cats deserved that one, purchased though bullshit half arsed politiking.

Just watching the game again, Hind did a lot of sacrificial running — as did Marshall — so he got on the end of some handballs that he deserved.

What amazes me is how many goals we kicked by players on their non-preferred.

Hind, Battle, Hunter, Butler.

The excellent news is that it is hard to tell which side of the body is preferred to begin with.

Further, our defence was stellar in the third.

This is what annoys me with Dunstan and Lonie.

They have obvious skill, they have obvious ways into the team, but neither of them have the capacity or desire to work on their non preferred instances so they are predictable, corralled and shut down rather easily. But then you see guys that are "new", Hind, Battle, Hunter as your examples, as their opposite foot is inifinitely better, seems cleaner, more refined, like they care to be seen as complete footballers or have the desire to improve themselves as such.

I'm still adamant that the AFL screwed us in '09 as much as that first quarter "lets miss the ball entirely" screwed ourselves.

Mid September final, Chappys procedure to get up for the game outlawed first week October. That is very very convenient timing to then have a goal from a right angled deflection from a post with no one giving a sh*t about it until "we'll put cameras in, but do sweet FA for the history of the game".

Sure, we could have and should have done better than we did, but get stuffed if the Cats deserved that one, purchased though bullshit half arsed politiking.

This is what annoys me with Dunstan and Lonie.

They have obvious skill, they have obvious ways into the team, but neither of them have the capacity or desire to work on their non preferred instances so they are predictable, corralled and shut down rather easily. But then you see guys that are "new", Hind, Battle, Hunter as your examples, as their opposite foot is inifinitely better, seems cleaner, more refined, like they care to be seen as complete footballers or have the desire to improve themselves as such.
Dunstan struggles on his preferred foot, I’d hate to see what he offered on his non preferred.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
It what way?

I initially thought it looked straight out like he flopped but what you say makes sense and he didn't screw us with any free kicks at the end of the day.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is a weakness. Players who prefer their non-preferred side, are easily exploited by forcing them onto their preferred side.
I absolutely love when players can kick well on their opposite foot. Also, it looks like last year Dixon missed the easiest way to improve our goal kicking. Just kick for goal on your non preferred lads!!

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jones is one of the mysteries of footy because even your everyday punter who didn't know a whole lot could see that Jones was a very good inside player, and yet Sydney refused to play him there. It's not a great look, and reflects pretty poorly on Longmire's coaching ability.

He did the same with tom mitchell too- kept him on the fringes of the team despite him looking the goods every time he was given an opportunity.

Seems to choose his favourites and that is that.

I think we should be enquiring about heeney- he hasn't been able to play as an inside mid because kennedy and parker have been preferred.

With his injury and lacklusture form (due to not playing as an inside mid i think), he would be potentially gettable and not cost the earth.
Heeney could be absolute A+ superstar as a fulltime inside mid i reckon.

I think we should be enquiring about heeney- he hasn't been able to play as an inside mid because kennedy and parker have been preferred.

Got Membrey because Goodes played on
Zak because he couldn’t get a spot in the middle ( and a bit homesick)
Heeney.....would complete a very nice triple.

He did the same with tom mitchell too- kept him on the fringes of the team despite him looking the goods every time he was given an opportunity.

Seems to choose his favourites and that is that.

With his injury and lacklusture form (due to not playing as an inside mid i think), he would be potentially gettable and not cost the earth.
Heeney would be one of their untouchables. They see him as their next Dusty, he’d cost a fortune.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heeney would be one of their untouchables. They see him as their next Dusty, he’d cost a fortune.

Perhaps, but he's right in the sweet spot for at least shaking the tree.

He's young and has proven his best IS dusty comparable...
BUT he's been in mediocre form playing positions all over the shop for a while now, is now long term injured and his team is seemingly setting up for a decent rebuild.

I think he's far less untouchable than he was a couple of years ago- whether than still leaves him in untouchable territory I don't know.

I wouldn't die wondering though- he's the perfect mix of inside and out elite mid we are missing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back