Review Round 9, 2020 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbournes midfield was disgraceful tonight. Full ruck ascendancy and Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney and Jones serve up that trash. Only one who gets a pass is Petracca. They found enough of the ball, but completely inept.

Burgess cooked em already?
I was thinking the same. They really looked baked

Fantastic win by the boys last night. Our ball movement was electric and we look to be back in some good form for this crucial block of games. Georgiades was impressive, Rozee is back and Wines has matured in his decision making going forward. Collectively, a brilliant display of aggressive defending and pressure to shut up every Victorian analyst who thought Melbourne were the best thing since sliced bread.

Georgiades is the most exciting young prospect I've seen at Port since Connor Rozee, or is that Zak Butters or is that Xavier Duursma

Forget Port, he's the most exciting prospect to grace the VFL/AFL since a little known man named John Georgiades kicked 74 goals on debut.

Just quietly, what a player Karl Amon has turned into.

Never shirks a contest when it's his turn, runs hard both ways and is silky-skilled when he gets it in space.

A couple of outstanding highlights tonight - a one-hand grab and reflex handball on the outer side in the first term, and a screamer where he sat on some Demon's head in the second.

Now accumulating disposals consistently, he has been one of our most consistent players.
I love what Amon has become because the vitriol of our posters against our own players is next level disgusting sometimes.

Now posters need to lay off Ladhams. He is working his butt off, is learning valuable lessons, the umps didn’t give him an inch and he needs to be persisted with.

Mitch's role in this side is so crucial going forward as it gives us another avenue to goal and lessens the reliance on Dixon. When Todd is back in the side and you have him leading up the ground and kicking to Mitch and Charlie, we'll be bloody dangerous.
Todd needs to decide if he wants to physically impose himself on a pack, as he has needed to decide for a couple of years now

Mitch has shown more in one game than he has in his whole career so far. Ask yourself if you get only keep one of those two players which would it be and that's all you need to know about relying on Marshall for our future. That said as we have said for a few years now, it's up to Todd isn't it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah St Kilda beat us fair and square, but who kicks 12.1 honestly

Literally no winning side in the 133 year history of VFL/AFL football until last Saturday.

Very solid performance.

Few observations:

• We swapped Dixon to high key forward (especially early) this week leaving MG, RG and Hoff back and I thought that worked well for a balanced forward line
  • We set up well around stoppage with Amon sweeping and really crowding Gawn's hit out zones with players at the fall of the ball, making it hard for Melbourne to get away if they did win the tap
  • We seemed to set up well (hard to see all the time with the crappy camera angles) when we did not have the ball but Melbourne were super stagnant at times which played into our hands. Also Melbourne's kicking was absolutely awful at times
  • We challenged the Dees in terms of our run and spread, much, much better than we challenged St Kilda (even when it was even in the first 3 quarters vs Saints)
  • Rockliff laid the most tackles for the game, I think he can work with Wines in the midfield if he's focused on being a defensive mid rather than competing with Wines for the same ball. This could still come unstuck against a super fast midfield or if we lose the stoppages convincingly (although that creates a whole host of other problems)
  • The only minor change I would have liked would maybe have been Dixon or a key defender up on Gawn when Dees were bringing the ball out of D50. Gawn got too many marks (did nothing with them), but if we neutralised that contest they would have been stuck in our half forever

We absolutely smashed them. Melbourne were bad but it was nice to kill the game early and build our percentage.

They couldn't turn ruck dominance into midfield dominance. Gawn, Oliver, Petracca and Viney should be one of the best inside mid brigades in the league but we probably beat them there and smashed them in every other facet of the game. I thought Ladhams followed up ruck contests well to keep Gawn honest and I thought Wines was brilliant. Boak was huge as usual.

Defence was rock solid. Jonas should be an AA the way he's playing, great in the contest and intercepting brilliantly. His ability to take contested marks in defence is absolutely massive for our rebound. When we did rebound, we cut through their press like a hot knife through butter, and we managed to achieve uncontested I50 entries where we actually lowered our eyes and got a lot of separation. Dixon sacrificed himself well and Georgiades and Westhoff took full advantage. God Mitch looks like an absolute gun. So assured with his movement and attacks the play so hard. Skillful, positions himself well, could be literally anything in this game. You could see him moving into the middle in a Kouta type role.

Great win, and important to kill the game early and have a pretty bruise free day out given the short turnarounds.

Nice to win a game without Charlie dominating. That's going to happen in some games. He was doubled teamed for most of the game.

More than handy to have other scoring options like Georgiades, Rozee etc. After 2 games Georgiades has already become a scoring option. Not a bad effort that.

:pear: :pear: :pear:

How ******* good is Mitch Georgiades! We've found one there.

Amon was incredible.

Jonas' game probably flew under the radar.
Jonas flies under the radar most weeks, I'll bet Tony "Chomper" Jones still doesn't know who he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back