Review Round 9, 2021 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Was really impressed with our goal kicking for the most part, the majority of our shots were set shots which is weird because we're used to snapping around the body from conjestion or on the run. Has to one of our most accurate kicking games in years.

even the two shots Hippy missed (i think) weren't some of those wide wacky shots which we sometimes get, which is super encouraging too.

mcstay has been getting quite few of his from really close, but this week they were some good mid-range shots on slight angles. Comfortable he looked. And the aggression in which he launches (I think that has been more consistent than his goal kicking) is more prominent now

even the two shots Hippy missed (i think) weren't some of those wide wacky shots which we sometimes get, which is super encouraging too.

mcstay has been getting quite few of his from really close, but this week they were some good mid-range shots on slight angles. Comfortable he looked. And the aggression in which he launches (I think that has been more consistent than his goal kicking) is more prominent now

The shot he had closest to goal he'd had 6 previous shots from a similar position and kicked 1! I was getting more nervous the closer he got to goals.

McStay has turned into a gun set shot. Looks very reliable atm.
McStay is benefiting from the brilliance of our forward line. Because Daniher and Hipwood are better players, he will be given the 3rd best defender (which he will be able to expose). He's also a really good shot in front of goal. I actually would prefer him to mark it inside the 50 over hipwood and daniher considering their accuracy isn't as good as his is, lol.

The burden seems to be off McStay's shoulders for the time being and he's playing with a lot more freedom. He has all the tools to be a good player , just needs to produce it against good opposition and across a game. He's not far away.

McStay has been getting quite few of his from really close, but this week they were some good mid-range shots on slight angles. Comfortable he looked. And the aggression in which he launches (I think that has been more consistent than his goal kicking) is more prominent now
Hippy looks to have changed his run up so it is now straight at the goals and his accuracy has improved. I noticed one of the goals he missed he went back on a slight arc with the run up and a point was the result.

With both Hippy & McStay looks like the changes they have made are now bearing fruit. Hooray for that.

Hippy looks to have changed his run up so it is now straight at the goals and his accuracy has improved. I noticed one of the goals he missed he went back on a slight arc with the run up and a point was the result.

With both Hippy & McStay looks like the changes they have made are now bearing fruit. Hooray for that.

The new stand the mark rule is changing set shots.

As soon as you arc the umpire is calling it and the man on the mark can move. So your kick is under pressure.

Use a straight run up, and there's no pressure, and it's easier to concentrate on your kicking form.

A commentator the other week said the opposite. That Hipwood trying to run in straight was the issue and when he used his natural arc he kicked better.

And McStay is still leaning back just maybe not quite as much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder who does the goalkicking coaching for Hippy and McStay?

A commentator the other week said the opposite. That Hipwood trying to run in straight was the issue and when he used his natural arc he kicked better.

And McStay is still leaning back just maybe not quite as much.
Commentators don't know s**t half the time as we all know.
I have mentioned previously that Hippy started running in straight early last year
His accuracy was still astray early but improved lots towards the back end of 2020
However i did notice on the weekend he did have a slight to the left movement back in his runup on a couple of occasions
I hope he corrects this.

Under the new rule, players need to think through their run up if kicking set shots say on the 45/50 line or at their kicking distance limit
Use Daniher as an example
He usually has a long run up then out to the arc. Ump calls play on early so he is now 60+ meters out.
Player on mark & others outside the protected zone move in putting pressure on Daniher who then kicks from 55+ meters out.
Sometimes he is successful in converting as he is a long kick and prefers the arc run up

Alternatively he could move back only say 5/6 (steps) meters. Still take his 30 seconds to think through the situation
Take one/two steps straight then move around the man on mark and kick from 45 meters out.
No opposition player has time or space to move in to put pressure on his kick
Players should do this more often when they are close to their kicking distance limit

In my opinion players should always kick over the man on the mark when within their comfortable kicking distance and on their natural side
I am talking set shots at goal and not on what could be described as an angle

Exceptions being round the corner kicks on angles that players convert easily these days (or Charlie Cameron directly in front :) )

its odd. the afl bring in the man on the mark rule to open up kicking from that instance, but with the really early play on calls it ends up being more detrimental now than before the rule change....

joe was slightly off with his timing/whatever but with some tweaks to his run-up or if the umps get half a brain she'll be right ;)

Just finished watching the game and man was that entertaining. Gardiner almost getting a kick while hobbling off the ground was hilarious thought the commentators would die from laughing so hard. Also Harris pushing over Ainsworth like he was an under 9 is GIF worthy.
I thought so too!
5c0aad054d034fced45955641ee05017.gif

His injury could end up being a plus for us later in the season. We had to find other options, different players had to stand up to cover the loss. When he returns we won’t be as dependent on him and he is not going to be as bashed around as he was late last season
Injuries don't hurt the season if the players get back a few weeks before finals.

Rayner won't and probably Gardiner but with Neale being out we then have a dilemma.

Where does Neale fit in?

Where does Berry senior fit in?

Can't see an obvious spot for Berry. We have covered all bases at the moment.

Injuries don't hurt the season if the players get back a few weeks before finals.

Rayner won't and probably Gardiner but with Neale being out we then have a dilemma.

Where does Neale fit in?

Where does Berry senior fit in?

Can't see an obvious spot for Berry. We have covered all bases at the moment.
Lachie Neale in for Rhys Mathieson is a no brainer.

Jarrod Berry if in form for Deven Robertson or Jaxon Prior is obvious as well.

Lachie Neale in for Rhys Mathieson is a no brainer.

Jarrod Berry if in form for Deven Robertson or Jaxon Prior is obvious as well.

Basically depends on where we want to play Bez when he returns too. If he's going to play inside then Dev drops out, if he goes back to spending most of his time on the wing then Prior is out.

I've been very impressed with Prior despite him not having a heap of the footy. He looks a natural outside player.

Basically depends on where we want to play Bez when he returns too. If he's going to play inside then Dev drops out, if he goes back to spending most of his time on the wing then Prior is out.

I've been very impressed with Prior despite him not having a heap of the footy. He looks a natural outside player.

I think when Neale replaces Matho he'll chew up a lot of Devs time on the ball as well.

Berry to take the time Matho and Dev have spent forward and then also spending time on the ball/wing

Back