Autopsy Round 9, 2021: Hawks get bounced

Remove this Banner Ad

Why worry now about the lack of 1st rounders from 2009 to 2014/5. The trades they were involved in obviously worked. From 2016 onwards ok fair enough you can question some of the trades. I expect the club to keep going back to the draft this year and the next few (as they have for the last 2 years).

The post was done to highlight what has actually happened, it's not done to worry about the drafting from over ten years ago.

In 2011, 2012 and 2013 we used our first rounder in trades to bring in Gunston, Lake and Big Boy respectively. These trades were roaring successes and you do it again every day of the week.

In 2013 we had a second first rounder, pick 19, that we traded to St Kilda for pick 24 (used on Hartung) and Ceglar. You'd say that was a failure.

In 2014 we used our first rounder, pick 19, in a trade for O'Rourke. Another resounding failure.

The post was done to highlight what has actually happened, it's not done to worry about the drafting from over ten years ago.

In 2011, 2012 and 2013 we used our first rounder in trades to bring in Gunston, Lake and Big Boy respectively. These trades were roaring successes and you do it again every day of the week.

In 2013 we had a second first rounder, pick 19, that we traded to St Kilda for pick 24 (used on Hartung) and Ceglar. You'd say that was a failure.

In 2014 we used our first rounder, pick 19, in a trade for O'Rourke. Another resounding failure.

Lake was for a first huh? how old was he at the time. i forgot all about that

We are terrible to watch. Plain and simple.

The game plan of chipping bloody wide all the time is horrendous

Hartley and Frost tripping over themselves, giving away free kicks and then both turning
the ball over with rubbish disposal is not Hawthorn.

Frost gives his all which I love but gives away 3 goals a game with rubbish disposal.

Harley kicks it 60 metres yet will not pull the trigger and try’s to pin point passes 20 metres away amongst a heap of players.

We are the worst team in the comp at trying to kick the ball in. We wait, wait, wait and then don’t even use the free space to play on and gain an extra 20 metres of ground. Who is teaching this rubbish? Hardwick always looks in slow motion. Get the fricken ball quickly play on from FB and pump it to centre wing mate where we atleast can have a few talls lined up to compete. Instead we end up chipping the ball to the back pocket and are caught with no options.....

If we come home with some sort of career saving individual performances and again don’t cut the dead wood free and end up with pick 4 or 5 and don’t make the hard calls needed I will be spewing.

Give me pick 1 and the bloody spoon.
Trade out a player for another first round pick around 10-15.

Pick 1, 12 19 and 20 would be superb. Add to that Day, DGB, CJ and we finally have some quality on our list we can watch come through together.

Agree with the sideways chipping as find it hard to watch from any team let alone the Hawks. Jiath may get caught at times but at least tries to keep the ball moving with speed down the guts. Some say we shouldn't kick long and direct to the forwards but I say why not? McGovern and co should not be allowed to mark the ball uncontested unless serious problems with the forwards and making a contest and bringing the ball to ground. It is a 50/50 contest and almost prefer someone discreetly use their fist to the back off a backman's head to make them earn it and let them know what's coming next time. Brereton like. If fit, I think despite form at Box Hill we just play all our recruits for the rest of the year and get games into them. If they are not up to it then so be it. I also think some players may actually play better on the big stage then wallowing in the VFL. When and if fit, just keep playing Brockman, Downie, Denver and Maginness as what's to lose now.

Just had a Dons mate text "you're an embarrassment to the comp and should relocate to Tassie, and be called the Tassie Hawks"

Replied, "while you cheated, we 3 peated"

No reply.

And you wonder why I hate these campaigners more than any other club.
Its funny the supporters who seem to be really sticking the boots in are * , Blues and for a weird reason the Saints.
You know the really successful clubs of the last 20 years

Just had a Dons mate text "you're an embarrassment to the comp and should relocate to Tassie, and be called the Tassie Hawks"

Replied, "while you cheated, we 3 peated"

No reply.

And you wonder why I hate these campaigners more than any other club.

Doesn't matter if we're 1st or 18th rival supporters will always be headfu..ed by Hawthorn :p

Last edited:
We are now 2 years bottom 4, and you would be very ambitious to bet against it next year. We are going through the pain now

Agreed I’m hoping like hell we don’t trade our first next years to get another first this year as next years pick could be about the same pick as this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed I’m hoping like hell we don’t trade our first next years to get another first this year as next years pick could be about the same pick as this year.

only way we would do that is if it was for a Cerra, Bailey Smith type talent. Otherwise we will not trade our firsts in the next 2 drafts, no way

If anyone is unclear where the game was lost...
View attachment 1128186
Yes that's where the game was lost. And the players are blaming themselves, but they needn't.

Hawks are 17th for clearances this year (just ahead of North, what a joke). Last year 18th. The year before 18th.

We're still wheeling out the same mix of players. There's no point talking about effort anymore. Tom/Jom/Shiels/Worpel/Wingard is not a winning combination, however good they may be individually. The fact we're persisting is just pig-headed. Coaches are starting to try out new things, but it's snail-paced, toes-in-the-water kind of change, when our results are saying "amputate".

only way we would do that is if it was for a Cerra, Bailey Smith type talent. Otherwise we will not trade our firsts in the next 2 drafts, no way
Anyone who thinks there are clubs lining up to grab any of the midfielders from our current crop are kissing themselves.

I don’t see many of our top 10 players getting us decent/reasonable value as our collective performance in the past 2 seasons has been so poor.

We would be better served cleaning out everyone over 30 aside from McEvoy and Breust.

We won’t get interest in Burgoyne and if any/all of Ceglar, Shiels, Hartley, Howe, Morris or O’Brien generate interest I dare say it would be for 3rd / 4th / 5th rounders at best. Frankly, get rid of them all and get our list down to one of the youngest 3 or 4 please!

We could then look to trade up through the draft to hopefully get an extra 2nd rounder or 2 on top of pick 1/2.

Finally, whilst Clarkson is still under contract until next year, please everyone get our heads around the fact that we/he could, and should, be open to him coaching elsewhere in 2022.

Would probably be a win for all concerned.

We should look at attracting a coach or two from the current Port or Geelong crew. They obviously know what they’re doing at the moment.

Got me stuffed why you revisit and lament what we did 8 years ago, knowing we also won 3 fricken flags in a row.

Again, as I said in the first paragraph of the post you've quoted, it's not to lament what happened back then.

It's just highlighting what happened.
yeah sorry, I just see this stuff every week, and it doesn't make much sense to me.

We won 3 flags and trying to win our 4th didn't work out. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Again, as I said in the first paragraph of the post you've quoted, it's not to lament what happened back then.

It's all relevant to the mess we're in now, some of the choices like the JOR trade have contributed to the mess we currently see, no issue with you pointing it out.

OK fine but surely we're not going to dredge these picks/trades up every time we lose. It's going to be a long rebuild as is

Have a look at the 2014 draft we didn't miss much around pick 19
Really?
Wouldn’t mind Jack Steele, Touk Miller or a fit Toby McLean right about now.

They aren’t playing for Caulfield Grammarians at the moment are they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back