Not open for further replies.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Going on reports were flying in saturday morning to Tas for the game. Surely given Omeara and Gunston type of injury surely they will not play in these circstances.

In Brockman, Maginness, Greaves, Downie, Morris
Sam Mitchells weekly Box Hill report was glowing of Damon Greaves.
Like the idea of him coming into defence and allowing one of Impey/Scrimshaw/CJ to play further up the field.
Have either of you watched the last game at Box Hill.
If Downie was a Box Hill player and not a Hawthorn listed player, based on his last couple of games he'd be back playing at his local club this weekend.
Greaves was adequate, he did a couple of good things in the second half after being barely sighted in the first half. He was a long way off from being in Box Hill's best players.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Norths defense is without:
Bonar
Corr
McDonald
Tarrant
P Walker
Hayden
McGuinness
Perez

Other than Zeibel, McKay, and Atley do they have any other first choice defenders available?

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Downie was a Box Hill player and not a Hawthorn listed player, based on his last couple of games he'd be back playing at his local club this weekend.
Greaves was adequate, he did a couple of good things in the second half after being barely sighted in the first half. He was a long way off from being in Box Hill's best players.
Downie also is severely hampered by a corked thigh, and wouldnt have played unless they needed him to due to numbers, wouldnt be looking to much at his last two games as any real indicator on his ability

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Watched many HAWKS games including VFL, thanks for asking. It is like this yes our Hawk youth is not knocking down the door. How ever our seniors are dishing up the same cr*p, were second last after all. So i would rather invest in our learning kids, than a few lazy seniors or fringe players.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Downie also is severely hampered by a corked thigh, and wouldnt have played unless they needed him to due to numbers, wouldnt be looking to much at his last two games as any real indicator on his ability
Whoever told you that was wrong on 2 points.
First there are 29 players on Box Hill's list. Only 11 Box Hill players were in the side on Saturday. At least half a dozen Box Hill listed players, played in the local EFNL on the same day. It was much the same the previous week when Box Hill played Sandy.
Secondly, if you watched both games you would see that Downie clearly has no problem getting to the ball all over the ground but isn't able to get his hands on the ball. He just doesn't have any impact at this stage. He may well be at Box Hill for some time developing his game.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Metres gained is the stupidest stat in the entire lexicon of stats, and anyone who cites it as no idea how football works.

The stat you want is secondary metres gained. What are the metres gained from the person receiving your possession. Because that means you're putting someone in space.

I would probably be more concerned if inside midfielders had 500+ metres gained, as opposed to the 200/300 mark. Given the respective quality of disposals from our inside midfielders, and the chances that they are getting it under immediate pressure to begin with, such high numbers would suggest on face value that they have just bombed it long.

I couldn't care less if Mitchell has negative metres gained and even if the "secondary metres" gained numbers were low. If he's started a passage of play where the ball has been taken from a heavily contested situation and, because of that, it's ended up in one of our player's hands that are in a better situation to do something positive with it; then he's done his job successfully.

Metres gained is only really relevant to wingmen and HBFers. Their job is generally to provide run and move the ball forward. You'd rightly be more concerned if Smith or Rich had 100m gained as opposed to Mitchell or Llyons, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would probably be more concerned if inside midfielders had 500+ metres gained, as opposed to the 200/300 mark. Given the respective quality of disposals from our inside midfielders, and the chances that they are getting in under immediate pressure to begin with, such high numbers would suggest on face value that they have just bombed it long.

I couldn't care less if Mitchell has negative metres gained and even if the "secondary metres" gained numbers were low. If he's started a passage of play where the ball has been taken from a heavily contested situation, and (because of that) it's ended up in one of our player's hands that are in a better situation to do something positive with it.

Metres gained is only really relevant to wingmen and HBFers. Their job is generally to provide run and move the ball forward. You'd rightly be more concerned if Smith or Rich had 100m gained as opposed to Mitchell or Llyons, etc.
100% this 👍

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wouldn’t you look at metres gained from
Stoppages by all players in the mix at any one time - it is a team game and all possession link back or to somewhere

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
First there are 29 players on Box Hill's list. Only 11 Box Hill players were in the side on Saturday. At least half a dozen Box Hill listed players, played in the local EFNL on the same day. It was much the same the previous week when Box Hill played Sandy.
Secondly, if you watched both games you would see that Downie clearly has no problem getting to the ball all over the ground but isn't able to get his hands on the ball. He just doesn't have any impact at this stage. He may well be at Box Hill for some time developing his game.

Mitchell’s report stated Downie suffered a corked thigh the week before and laboured a bit getting involved last week.

Stottzy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Metres gained is the stupidest stat in the entire lexicon of stats, and anyone who cites it as no idea how football works.

The stat you want is secondary metres gained. What are the metres gained from the person receiving your possession. Because that means you're putting someone in space.

Ok so let's look at the stats that he should be dominanting in.

Centre clearances- Ranked 64th in the league

Total Clearances- Ranked 56th

Stoppage clearances- Ranked 47th

Contested possessions- Ranked 20th.

Yet he is 2nd in the league for possessions. I'm sorry, but as I said before, he isn't influencing games enough for the amount he gets it. Worpel is ranked higher than him in most of these stats and hasn't even been in the middle as much.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I will trust S.Mitchell saying he has a corked thigh and labored thanks, but thanks for your opinion

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yet he is 2nd in the league for possessions. I'm sorry, but as I said before, he isn't influencing games enough for the amount he gets it. Worpel is ranked higher than him in most of these stats and hasn't even been in the middle as much.
Do you know he isn’t playing as a primary cleanse player? Clear role change this year. Why are you putting up his clearance numbers?

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW

he isn't playing as our clearance player, that's not his role

look at JOM, or even Worpel if you want to compare clearances between players

you'll notice Mitchell's clearances immediately spiked as soon as JOM went out of the side, and yet he still isn't playing that role primarily

Stottzy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he isn't playing as our clearance player, that's not his role

look at JOM, or even Worpel if you want to compare clearances between players

you'll notice Mitchell's clearances immediately spiked as soon as JOM went out of the side, and yet he still isn't playing that role primarily
So what is his role? Even in contested possessions, Ranked 20th in the league is pretty ordinary considering you're getting that much of the pill. 34.3 is his average, 11.5 are contested. Should be creating more when he has uncontested possessions.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
So what is his role? Even in contested possessions, Ranked 20th in the league is pretty ordinary considering you're getting that much of the pill. 34.3 is his average, 11.5 are contested. Should be creating more when he has uncontested possessions.

These questions need to be put to the coaching staff.

Who’s he giving it to?

That’s the issue.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

Yep he has had a couple of hugely influential quarters and the rest has just been stat padding.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd be really interested to see how much time Scrim has spent in the midfield over the last couple weeks. I like the idea of him spending a lot more time up the ground, but would probably need him to improve his tank to get regular minutes there.

100% I think it's inevitable with Sicily,Day and hopefully Dgb coming into the back 6. To join forces with Impey, Cj, Scrimshaw, Hardwick.
It's vital a couple of these guys build there tanks. We will be a far better side with good ball users and quick decision makers on both wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back