Preview Round 9, 2021: Hawks v Roos, 2:10pm 15th May @ UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim O’Brien a 9 year vet was putting his hand up to take a kids spot when we are second bottom and in a rebuild was he?
Yep so frustrating. Kosi was struggling to get on the board then hit Launie was hoping Jeka would be given another game. Suspect TOBs versatility got him the nod as he will have to ruck whereas Jeka can't.

I don’t agree with the first bit, at least not with Ollie (Moore’s endurance makes him a different type of player). Brockman is more skilful, more damaging, applies more pressure and is more dangerous around goals than Hanrahan.

Agree that there are other factors in selection that we don’t know. But if we don’t know it, we can’t really assume anything. On everything I’ve seen, not picking Brockman in this very weak side doesn’t make a lot of sense. I am not one of those who thinks every player under 20 should be getting senior games (I think Finn and Downie are miles off). But Brockman should be playing seniors.
These decisions aren’t made in a vacuum. I’m sure it makes sense internally.

At the very least, having watched all AFL and vfl games this year. brockmans best game in the vfl this year is still not as good as Ollies and Moore’s best games in the seniors.

Letting young players learn their craft in the VFL should not be considered the worst thing in the world when it comes to key position players, in particular for forwards. It is a mighty difficult position to play and i am sure it doesn't make it any easier to learn when you also have the rest of the team learning how to kick it to you. This season should certainly be used to see what depth we have in stable but we cant pretend that subjecting "under developed" players to the AFL standard will be a good thing for them.
So many posters seem to complete forget that our VFL team is essentially a system to produce AFL level footballers, under the tutelage of a guy who will prob be those players senior coach in a season or 2. Sometimes I wonder if wanting more kids in the seniors more about selfishly wanting something interesting to look forward to in a Hawks game than anything else...

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So many posters seem to complete forget that our VFL team is essentially a system to produce AFL level footballers, under the tutelage of a guy who will prob be those players senior coach in a season or 2. Sometimes I wonder if wanting more kids in the seniors more about selfishly wanting something interesting to look forward to in a Hawks game than anything else...
This is what I hang my hat on with team selections like these. In a season or two these guys will be in the seniors and have some established chemistry that will scale with their ability as opposed to trying to force it against senior players.

This is what I hang my hat on with team selections like these. In a season or two these guys will be in the seniors and have some established chemistry that will scale with their ability as opposed to trying to force it against senior players.
We’ve squeezed more talent out of late round draft picks and rookies these past years than more or less any other club. The system works. We have to look at the club as a whole, seniors and box hill, particularly in a rebuild, and not just think about who’s playing AFL.

Please. You have to do better than that.

Everyone knows he is not the answer long term. Never has been. We are going to finish bottom two and we bring a spare parts man who has been around for 9 years 🤦‍♂️

Keep playing Jeka.
You guys and your “just play the kids even if they can’t compete” arguments.

Who needs team values and non-negotiables, eh?

This is the thing, we do not have generational talent waiting to come back in. They are injured currently. Most of the players currently playing in the side will likely be replaced. Playing the kids will just make us lose by 12 goals + if not more only for those kids to be delisted. We try and stay competitive with youngens playing to see if they have what it takes. Our list is going to be culled. We already have a fair understanding of each kid on the list.

Most have played and for those that havent they will get their chance if they are good enough

JR33

Senior List
Apr 7, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some of you need to get a grip, all you do is talk verbal diarrhea as if you can do better. I love Jeka, however it’s for his own sake to go back to VFL and learn more after the exposure he got, keeping him in the team can harm him more if he doesn’t perform due to confidence from previous games. Also having Gunston out doesn’t mean the end of the world, stop making it a one player team. It’s team f**king work, other club fans are laughing at us at the moment because we are being soft about our ladder positioning etc. Lets l start accepting it and back our club regardless of whoever is in or out, lets back our coach and his co and see where it goes. Enjoy the ride!

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Why drop Jeka for a game that he may actually see the ball come his way? Christ almighty. Well I guess TOB gets to have his 80th-odd chance to prove us wrong (I'll partially retract that statement if he's playing at CHB).

Shiels gets a reprieve.

No Brockman is also disappointing. But I'm pleased Moore keeps his spot.

Why drop Jeka for a game that he may actually see the ball come his way? Christ almighty. Well I guess TOB gets to have his 80th-odd chance to prove us wrong (I'll partially retract that statement if he's playing at CHB).

Shiels gets a reprieve.

No Brockman is also disappointing. But I'm pleased Moore keeps his spot.
Because mate he was dreadfully uncompetitive with a player 10 cms shorter than him.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Because mate he was dreadfully uncompetitive with a player 10 cms shorter than him.

I get that he had a bad game. You can excuse a second gamer of that though.

But North, probably, the only team that's actually worse than us and they are missing two of their KPD's. This would have been the perfect game for Jeka to build some confidence at AFL level. If we were playing a top team I would be more understanding of the decision, but we're not. It's North.

Instead we have TOB coming back into the side, for what will no doubt be yet another underwhelming game.

If he's playing CHB then that's a different matter and a slightly more palatable change. But if he's taking Jeka's spot in the forward line then it's just a really disappointing selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back