Autopsy Round 9, 2021: St.Kilda v Geelong *WEBSTER 100TH* *WILKIE 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill's last 3 weeks maybe 8 -8.5/10 but if we count the previous 30 odd and average them out??
Yep he’s had some ordinary form but aren’t we rating recruitment. Hill has a skill set we don’t have in any other player. Recruiting is about getting a balance to your list. We identified speed and foot skills which he has in spades.

No there isn't, the Hannebery contract has been done to death. He was front loaded to the shizen and is on an average wage now. Because it was money we needed to spend otherwise we lost it...plus no one else wanted to come. Really doesn't make much difference, would have meant other players would have got bigger contracts like lonie, Dunstan, etc
There were more than the saints offering coin to Hill, Carlton for example just threw that coin at Zac Williams and Adam Saad....how good are their season going at Carlton...below us.

Maybe wait until the end of Hills contract and say how it is then, at the moment he is only 18 months in and we have already won our first final in a decade. Is it a bust because we haven't won a flag yet or someting???
Would rather compare to recently successful clubs, rather than saying we're not that bad because Carlton's worse!

Yep he’s had some ordinary form but aren’t we rating recruitment. Hill has a skill set we don’t have in any other player. Recruiting is about getting a balance to your list. We identified speed and foot skills which he has in spades.
Look I hope he makes me eat my words, but on any objective measure we grossly overpaid both him and Freo!

Look I hope he makes me eat my words, but on any objective measure we grossly overpaid both him and Freo!

Did we? Acres was a fringe player and what if we picked another patty mccartin or paddy Dow with that pick?

So far we have won more games we have lost with Hill in the team, that to me is a win in that remark. Same as winning a final. Huge achievement after the last decade. Hopefully that will lead to more

Hopefully Ratts takes this little sample of vision with him to his
“please explain” meeting he’s been summoned to.
Sorry what “please explain” meeting is this? Why does he even need to attend such a meeting?

You talking about the Bradburies as a successful club?

I'm talking about a club that won a flag, something we have failed to do in the last 54 years. Looks like they are on their way to a second one if things go their way as well. They paid more for Tom Boyd in not only contract but also trade value, won a flag but didn't do much else. All things considered, the stats would say he is a bust, but they won a flag, the highest pinnacle in the game.

So I ask again, stats say hes a bust pick, should the doggies recruiters be sacked?

How about Tom Boyd's contract at the doggies?

Was that a bust??? Should the recruiters been sacked there???
Lever and May prime examples in their first few years at Melbourne.

12 months ago Melbourne were stupid for over spending in their backline, now they have arguably the best defensive duo in the comp.

Apparently the AFL are going to issue a please explain after his comments in the press conference.

Could potentially be fined for questioning the umpires
Where was this mentioned? Never heard anything about it.

Just because I disagree with you how far away we are how the hell do you come to the conclusion that I think everything is perfect. We could easily get no elite players and it would be far from perfect. How was Melbourne’s list looking 3 years ago? Not great but a few players got into the elite category since then. You can have the option of thinking we are stuffed or the other option hoping everything can work itself out. I choose option 2 but I’m also realistic

Three years ago they played off in a prelim and looked on their way. Like us they had injuries and form slump players and used their time in purgatory to recruit some outstanding kids like Jackson and Pickett. They turned a couple of years of pain into a positive. I'd be all for copying that model. It's pushed some middlers out of the best 22 while creating true depth. That's all the s**t I've been bleating about for a decade. Make good choices, don't grab at quick fixes, make really solid draft choices. bring in good complimentary talent but not at top dollar.

I'd like to know what you were so outraged by. I hardly said anything that controversial. Butler maybe but I stand by him being below average this year. He's played two good games this year. Lonie and Hind would have been at Sandy playing like he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't realise constantly potting players was considered talking footy... but there you go.

Who did I pot apart from Butler, I gave a measured list of players who I think I assessed pretty fairly. I never said he was a campaigner, just that we might need to replace him in the next few years.

So you're saying people aren't saying things like this?

It was said to tell Plugger to * off whining about my post and I was using sarcasm. It's a pretty basic concept for most people.

Actually give the boundary umpires the licence to call a throw too. That would be bloody interesting (as an ex boundary runner in local footy each week I saw heaps I would have pinged).

Totally agree with this.

I’ve long said the biggest contributor to poor umpiring is them simply being unable to see the contest at all times. The busy nature of the game means the field umpire’s view is often obstructed, if not completely blocked. This leads to missed obvious throws, high tackles, push in the backs etc which were easily spotted by the boundary umpires.

The field umpires should stay centrally, whilst the boundary umpires should have license to call decisions from their view. They should also be allowed to creep onto the field and be in similar positioning to a field umpire (or further away) for the best vantage point.

No there isn't, the Hannebery contract has been done to death. He was front loaded to the shizen and is on an average wage now. Because it was money we needed to spend otherwise we lost it...plus no one else wanted to come. Really doesn't make much difference, would have meant other players would have got bigger contracts like lonie, Dunstan, etc
There were more than the saints offering coin to Hill, Carlton for example just threw that coin at Zac Williams and Adam Saad....how good are their season going at Carlton...below us.

Maybe wait until the end of Hills contract and say how it is then, at the moment he is only 18 months in and we have already won our first final in a decade. Is it a bust because we haven't won a flag yet or someting???

Hill has salvaged what was looking like an absolute bust early on and since sitting across half back he's looking like a better player but he's still over paid and did cost a lot in a trade. He's redeeming himself a lot but you can separate that out and just factually state he's getting paid more than his output and what we paid for him. I'm not disgusted by that trade even though it didn't work out, we couldn't get anyone wanting in and he was desperate and we were desperate. Hannerbury we went all in on and got exactly what we thought we'd get and it's been as s**t as it looked. Gambled big and lost the lot on it.

Carlton are a joke club who are like feeling better about living in your mum's shed because hobos have it worse.

Every club makes errors. You don’t just sack someone on an error or two especially if the same someone has been involved in successful trades. Sacking is one thing we have been good at over the years. One flag suggests sacking isn’t the answer.

I'd suggest that we have been the opposite since the end of the GT era. Guys like Trout and Danny sexton, Libba, Skrobo, Hammill etc. None of those guys have ever been suggested to be outstanding candidates for moving to other clubs but we've let them stay like they are part of the fixtures. Most coaches get their choice of assistants, we inherit them like a genetic legacy at the Saints. Even people like Finnis haven't seen rapid progress financially or footy wise and haven't even been questioned.

How about Tom Boyd's contract at the doggies?

Was that a bust??? Should the recruiters been sacked there???

I reckon it was a bust. The premiership will overshadow anything but it was still a stinker. They have completely rebuilt around their core of best players since then and now have an actual gun list. They have done an incredible list overhaul in a very short space of time. They have something like 7 players from that GF side left. They have traded and drafted incredibly since. Winning gave them licence to do what ever they wanted though.

Sorry what “please explain” meeting is this? Why does he even need to attend such a meeting?

Seeing on twitter that he may be “invited” to AFL house to explain his inferences about the umpiring and free kicks - or lack of them anyway.

I hope that happens.

Just take some video tape in.

That sequence posted on this thread where there are two blatent throws in a matter of seconds is a prime example.
There is no change in how they determine that freakin rule.

Asshattery of the highest order.

Every club makes errors. You don’t just sack someone on an error or two especially if the same someone has been involved in successful trades. Sacking is one thing we have been good at over the years. One flag suggests sacking isn’t the answer.
I would sack them for their errors then reinstate them for Marshall, Bytel and Byrnes.
This is how infantile and ridiculous this argument has become.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back