Autopsy Round 9, 2022: Hawks chewed on by Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not trying to be a elitist or anything like that, but on Saturday i sat in GA for the first time in about 10 years and my god, some of the full nuffies that dwell in those areas is horrendous, some of the richmond fans were horrible, just spouting off some of the worst things ive heard at the footy

I wont be venturing there again

DGB has shown nothing since his first game to show why he was a top ten pick. Bloody awful today. His last effort summed it all up.
Not big enough and probably never will be. Where are these elite intercept skills we heard so much about?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
For a gangly guy who has played not many more than a handful of games and played on a very fine player, I thought he did ok.

I’m excited about what he could become and am fine with being patient over the next 24 months for that to unfold.

I dunno about you, but I didn’t expect a finished product when I saw DGB on our team sheet.

One thing to remember, if our number 1 goal is to win games this year, Shield, Howe, Phillips (when not injured),Hartigan would be playing.
Mature hard bodies can do things, experience where we wouldn't be run over for such long periods. As we aren't playing them we are going to lose these games, for long term gain

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

he played mid as a junior and plan is too get him in there next year

No, that was the biggest risk, and major criticism of our drafting him so early - due to his height and lack of weight (<70kg) he had virtually nil exposure in the midfield in his junior career, playing in defence.

He was an attacking HBF with excellent 3rd man intercept skills, speed and good dual-sided kicking. His intercept marking was impressive as it showed courage and resilience not expected of one so slight, but he was easily out-muscled in the contest so couldn't "play tall". (Think a lighter version of Scrimshaw).

It was thought with time he may build his engine enough to play outside on a wing, but with his height and no body strength or size the midfield was seen as a long-term option only if at all. (Except by us, who post-draft rated him as potentially a top-5 midfielder in the draft)

Still more positives than negatives from the weekend for me. 2022 is not about wins and loses.

There is plenty to like about our rebuild, and give or take some bad quarters (or game against the Saints) I'm happy going to the footy each week knowing we will have a real crack, play aggressive and be annoying for the better sides to play against.

Hitting the draft hard over the next two years is just absolutely critical for us.

Positives:
  • That was the Impey we know. He backed himself in on a few occasions and looked quick
  • Newcombe. When he starts hitting the inside 50 kick more often, and builds his tank, he is going to be an A-grader. Clean and tough.
  • Bruest played on of his better games for the season
  • Loved everything about Sicily v Lynch - however I can't help but wonder how much better we would be with another lockdown defender and Sicily playing on the third tall
  • Nash. Best game of the year, playing the role he was earmarked for.
  • Macdonald. He had a real impact coming on as the sub. Super clean player
  • It was great seeing Day spend time in the middle during the second half
  • Plenty to like about the Kosi and Lewis combination long term

Concerns:
  • Grainger-Barras. Had a nightmare one-on-on and with ball in hand. He will learn plenty from this game. Weitering was exposed early to AFL with similar results. All part of the growing pains. We desperately need him to be more Weitering than Grimes however.
  • Bramble. I know he found a bit of the ball, but I'm yet to see any penetration from him this year. Hopefully it's not far away as he builds post injury.
  • Scrimshaw is down on form this year.
  • Cannot fault Frosty at all. But we are desperately going to need to find a gorilla defender from somewhere in the next two years.
  • Cannot fault Lynch's effort at all. But our list desperately needs to find another ruck option to play/backup Reeves over the next two years.
  • We have a real gap in talent around the 25-27 age bracket. Is there any truth to the media reporting we are interested in Kyle Langford?
Negatives:
  • Worpel. He's totally bereft of confidence. He was sulking in part Saturday it felt.
  • Harry. He hasn't been using the ball well of late. He is too slow moving the ball on. Has to be better options. I had hoped Downie would be someone that we would see as our winger of the future by now. Jury is very much out on if he is going to make it but sadly.

One thing to remember, if our number 1 goal is to win games this year, Shield, Howe, Phillips (when not injured),Hartigan would be playing.
Mature hard bodies can do things, experience where we wouldn't be run over for such long periods. As we aren't playing them we are going to lose these games, for long term gain

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
I think we’ve played better without those senior guys. The teams looked quicker and played some really good football.

We’ve definitely dropped off in parts of games as any young team is liable to do. But with them we don’t reach the highs we have and probably lose the games anyway.

Still more positives than negatives from the weekend for me. 2022 is not about wins and loses.

There is plenty to like about our rebuild, and give or take some bad quarters (or game against the Saints) I'm happy going to the footy each week knowing we will have a real crack, play aggressive and be annoying for the better sides to play against.

Hitting the draft hard over the next two years is just absolutely critical for us.

Positives:
  • That was the Impey we know. He backed himself in on a few occasions and looked quick
  • Newcombe. When he starts hitting the inside 50 kick more often, and builds his tank, he is going to be an A-grader. Clean and tough.
  • Loved everything about Sicily v Lynch - however I can't help but wonder how much better we would be with another lockdown defender and Sicily playing on the third tall

Concerns:
  • Grainger-Barras. Had a nightmare one-on-on and with ball in hand. He will learn plenty from this game. Weitering was exposed early to AFL with similar results. All part of the growing pains. We desperately need him to be more Weitering than Grimes however.
  • Bramble. I know he found a bit of the ball, but I'm yet to see any penetration from him this year. Hopefully it's not far away as he builds post injury.
  • Cannot fault Frosty at all. But we are desperately going to need to find a gorilla defender from somewhere in the next two years.
  • Cannot fault Lynch's effort at all. But our list desperately needs to find another ruck option to play/backup Reeves over the next two years.
  • We have a real gap in talent around the 25-27 age bracket. Is there any truth to the media reporting we are interested in Kyle Langford?
Negatives:
  • Worpel. He's totally bereft of confidence. He was sulking in part Saturday it felt.
  • Harry. He hasn't been using the ball well of late. He is too slow moving the ball on. Has to be better options. I had hoped Downie would be someone that we would see as our winger of the future by now. Jury is very much out on if he is going to make it but sadly.
Downie has played less then 10 games with a serious hamstring and lingering Covid

Not stressed about his development, he looks better each game, was pretty decent through the middle part of yesterday

Downie has played less then 10 games with a serious hamstring and lingering Covid

Not stressed about his development, he looks better each game, was pretty decent through the middle part of yesterday

We will see him in the side before the end of the year. That boot will be a weapon at AFL level.

Now don't everyone jump all over me but I don't think it unreasonable that we have some concerns over DGB's development / future playing position.

Many here have made the comparison to Weitering and how he just needs time to develop into his body but when Weitering was drafted as an 18 year old he was already a solid 90kg and he is now an imposing 101kg. A big unit by anyone's standards.

Whereas DGB came in at very lean 81kg and looking at his body shape I doubt he will top out at much over 90kg (he just doesn't have the frame to carry that much weight).

So the question is what is his long term position? He can't play full back being that light and we have enough intercepting half backs already (with better disposal skills).

Thinking outside the square could we try him as a third tall, it might allow his contested marking (which apperently is the main strength he was drafted in) to shine?

Now don't everyone jump all over me but I don't think it unreasonable that we have some concerns over DGB's development / future playing position.

Many here have made the comparison to Weitering and how he just needs time to develop into his body but when Weitering was drafted as an 18 year old he was already a solid 90kg and he is now an imposing 101kg. A big unit by anyone's standards.

Whereas DGB came in at very lean 81kg and looking at his body shape I doubt he will top out at much over 90kg (he just doesn't have the frame to carry that much weight).

So the question is what is his long term position? He can't play full back being that light and we have enough intercepting half backs already (with better disposal skills).

Thinking outside the square could we try him as a third tall, it might allow his contested marking (which apperently is the main strength he was drafted in) to shine?

CHB is his go long term.

Overall I didn't mind DGB's game, and think he'll learn a lot from playing on such a wily campaigner as Riewoldt. But yeah that mistake in the final minutes was bad and really cost us, unfortunately.

CHB is his go long term.
He has the body shape for a CHB but does he have the offensive output?

When I think great CHBs I think of players like Chris New, Peter Knights, Peter Dean style player who was as much an offensive threat as a defensive force.

DGB seems to me to be much more a lock down style Backman ala Ben Stratton (although to be fair to him playing on vastly oversized opponents might be limiting that part of his development)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has the body shape for a CHB but does he have the offensive output?

When I think great CHBs I think of players like Chris New, Peter Knights, Peter Dean style player who was as much an offensive threat as a defensive force.

DGB seems to me to be much more a lock down style Backman ala Ben Stratton (although to be fair to him playing on vastly oversized opponents might be limiting that part of his development)
He will be an attacking threat in the future can kick the ball well and has some toe. The defence is just under siege atm with the way the ball is coming in. It would be overwhelming for a kid. Especially this week where he was playing on seasoned great players in the game. Still his instinct was to attack in that last piece of play where he took the mark. You can't teach that. He will be a great player for us in the future as a CHB we just need to be patient. He is also still building his tank is one of the worst runners at the club. A couple of more pre seasons with his work ethic and we are still having this conversation then I will be worried

Positives:

Concerns:
Negatives:

If you take out his injury affected game against Carlton, this has statistically been Scrimshaws best season. He appeared to be down a little on the weekend, but it was a low possession game for us overall.

If you take out his injury affected game against Carlton, this has statistically been Scrimshaws best season. He appeared to be down a little on the weekend, but it was a low possession game for us overall.
Scrimshaw has struggled the last couple of weeks defending. He got another shoulder problem early in the game. I expect him to be much better this week with his pal CJ back in the side having his back.

Yeah he has had a bad run with his body. But it's just the contested ball side of thing that has me a bit up in the air.

He has a thumping left leg, and I would love to see him make it as our long term wing. But it was a knock on him leading into the draft, despite suggestions of more inside midfield time in his final year with Eastern Ranges.

We desperately need players like Downie, Mitchell and Brockman to make it.

I’d imagine most of our defenders would have high possession numbers. A symptom of the ball spending a lot of time in our defence and the only team we really possess the ball and chip it around is in our backline otherwise we try and move the ball on quickly.

I think from the start of the year to now our defenders are struggling more with the defensive aspect and are unable to hold up the tide coming out of middle.

Im not trying to be a elitist or anything like that, but on Saturday i sat in GA for the first time in about 10 years and my god, some of the full nuffies that dwell in those areas is horrendous, some of the richmond fans were horrible, just spouting off some of the worst things ive heard at the footy

Lovey and I agree 100%

Haha, I feel your pain.
But it’s no better in the Kennedy Club, there are plenty of Hawthorn nuffies there spouting rubbish!

I was thinking of moving to the GA seats, but I’ll stick to our nuffies now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back