Preview Round 9, 2022: Hawks v Tigers, 1.45pm Sat 14th May, MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lewis back and another debutant with promise the big positives.

Worps is Harry Houdini. Might have been under the weather last week like some others. Another chance, hopefully he clicks and soon. Should get every opportunity this week.

Another huge test for our rucks and midfield. Playing at the tigers level for 4 quaters is the big challenge given where we are at.

Dropping Wardy is probably the first Mitchell decision that has made me think WTF.
Nah he has dropped off. I thought he should have been rested 2 weeks ago.

Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a very balanced team, but it's also a very clarko team. Think Sam is trying to protect the club, and in turn some of the younger players

If Hartigan/DGB swapped and Shiels/Maginess swapped I think it’s the exact side Clarko would select hahaha.
I don’t mind it though. You have to protect the integrity of your selection process

B: James Sicily, Sam Frost, Will Day
HB: Jarman Impey, Jack Scrimshaw, Blake Hardwick
C: Conor Nash, Jai Newcombe, Harry Morrison
HF: Jaeger O’Meara, Jack Gunston, Luke Breust
F: Dylan Moore, Mitch Lewis, Sam Butler
R: Max Lynch, Lachlan Bramble, James Worpel
Int: Jacob Koschitzke, Denver Grainger-Barras, Finn Maginness, Chad Wingard

Emer: Liam Shiels, Kyle Hartigan, Connor Macdonald, Daniel Howe

IN: Sam Butler, Chad Wingard, Conor Nash, Mitch Lewis
OUT: Tom Mitchell (managed), Connor Macdonald (managed), Josh Ward (omitted), Jackson Callow (omitted), Liam Shiels (medical sub)

Three things:
- I think the ins/outs are balanced. We've included 3 still developing players/debutants (I count Nash and Lewis in the still developing category, even though I see them as so important for us). I think this balances the outs of Ward/Macdonald/Callow. I really like this team.
- Will be interesting to see who CJ, Ward and Mac push out, particularly if Impey and Bramble keep building back from their injuries, and Finn keeps on his upward trajectory. Worpel is at risk. Maybe Day (!?!). Finn maybe the other?
- I think the AFL need to get the format for the ins and outs re the sub sorted better. I hate that there are 4 ins and 5 outs! Why not just have 5 on the bench when you name the team and one becomes the sub. Ins and outs are only those who are in and out of the 23.

Rant over - thanks for your patience. Good to get that out of my system :)

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
B: James Sicily, Sam Frost, Will Day
HB: Jarman Impey, Jack Scrimshaw, Blake Hardwick
C: Conor Nash, Jai Newcombe, Harry Morrison
HF: Jaeger O’Meara, Jack Gunston, Luke Breust
F: Dylan Moore, Mitch Lewis, Sam Butler
R: Max Lynch, Lachlan Bramble, James Worpel
Int: Jacob Koschitzke, Denver Grainger-Barras, Finn Maginness, Chad Wingard

Emer: Liam Shiels, Kyle Hartigan, Connor Macdonald, Daniel Howe

IN: Sam Butler, Chad Wingard, Conor Nash, Mitch Lewis
OUT: Tom Mitchell (managed), Connor Macdonald (managed), Josh Ward (omitted), Jackson Callow (omitted), Liam Shiels (medical sub)

Don't mind these selections, looks like probably our most balanced team of the year so we are not without a punchers chance of knocking off the Tiges.

I think Sam has nailed it this week in picking a team that is looking towards the future whilst also remaining competitive on game day which is important.

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
Titch3Votes0MooreAA

Has gone eerily quiet since you logged back in dommy!

How many burner accounts are you running here mate?

GIF by MIRAMAX
I haven't been in my best shape this week. I'm fine now though. Thanks for asking how I am.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Three things:
- I think the ins/outs are balanced. We've included 3 still developing players/debutants (I count Nash and Lewis in the still developing category, even though I see them as so important for us). I think this balances the outs of Ward/Macdonald/Callow. I really like this team.
- Will be interesting to see who CJ, Ward and Mac push out, particularly if Impey and Bramble keep building back from their injuries, and Finn keeps on his upward trajectory. Worpel is at risk. Maybe Day (!?!). Finn maybe the other?
- I think the AFL need to get the format for the ins and outs re the sub sorted better. I hate that there are 4 ins and 5 outs! Why not just have 5 on the bench when you name the team and one becomes the sub. Ins and outs are only those who are in and out of the 23.

Rant over - thanks for your patience. Good to get that out of my system :)

Agree with all of that but don't think Day would be at any risk.

If he's match fit, he's worthy of a game. Don't see the point of dropping him to bring in Ward or McDonald - the point of Ward and McDonald is to get games in to the youth for the benefit of our future and Day has only played about an extra 10 games and is the best performing of the trio.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a very balanced team, but it's also a very clarko team. Think Sam is trying to protect the club, and in turn some of the younger players

I don't reckon it's a Clarko team. Clarko played Hartigan every game he was available for selection. He's not played at all this season. Phillips played every game available under Clarko and is pure back up this season. Shiels and Howe were the 2 best on ground in the VFL. If Titch was sick under Clarko, you absolutely would bet on Shiels to be his replacement (not that Shiels would be out of the side in the first place - he also played every game under Clarko). Nash would not come straight back from injury when Howe is BOG in the VFL either.

I also doubt Butler would have gotten the call this early under Clarko. He usually made young players 'knock the door down' at VFL level and Butler has been building without being a stand out. You could argue he has had 1 good game in a thrashing against an undermanned opponent. Sam has seen the signs though and wants to give him an early opportunity.

Ward and McDonald going out may be what you meant by "Clarko side" but let's be honest, they wouldn't need a rest from the AFL under Clarko cos it would be very unlikely that Clarko would have given them a block of 8 straight AFL games to start their debut season in the first place.

hawkguru

All Australian
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Who's matching up on bolton and dusty when they roll through the middle and drift forward?.
Those two are gonna cause some headaches for sam

Tents

Draftee
Nov 8, 2006
It reads like a Clarko team this week due the player mix of 7 defenders, 7 forwards (including Kosi fwd/ruck), and the midfield of 1 ruck, 4 onballers (Worpel, O'Meara, Nash, Newcombe) and 3 wings (Morrison, Bramble, Maginness).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back