Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if comparing him to the rest of the list is what we should be doing, they all aren't forwards. Plenty of upside is right though, he has been ordinary and we have all seen him better than this. I had to double check when I saw he was held goalless for nearly half the year. That's pretty poor, and he's clearly down on confidence in general. I think he plays better higher up the ground where he's involved more. Seems to be the anchor between defense and attack for us so sticking him outside the 50 and being the link up player will probably suit him.

Sharman seemingly has plenty of talent and is a threat around goals so I'd mix it up and give some new faces a go in there, clearly whatever we have Membrey doing up forward isn't working and in general our forward play has been off for a few weeks now. We seem to be reverting back to the bomb/hack it long at all costs gameplan that frustrated the hell out of us in previous years. We need less air balls and more craft around goal, it's easy to be sucked in to bombing it when probably our two best contested marks, King and Membrey, are up there. If we do that against Geelong we will get thrashed.
And if we don’t like we did against the dees we will get beaten for sure. Every single club bombs. We need to bomb much deeper than we did last week. I don’t understand the other option. Obviously in space you don’t bomb but most clubs force you to do it. Melbourne wouldn’t haven’t taken to many marks on the lead last week.

I don't know if comparing him to the rest of the list is what we should be doing, they all aren't forwards. Plenty of upside is right though, he has been ordinary and we have all seen him better than this. I had to double check when I saw he was held goalless for nearly half the year. That's pretty poor, and he's clearly down on confidence in general. I think he plays better higher up the ground where he's involved more. Seems to be the anchor between defense and attack for us so sticking him outside the 50 and being the link up player will probably suit him.

Sharman seemingly has plenty of talent and is a threat around goals so I'd mix it up and give some new faces a go in there, clearly whatever we have Membrey doing up forward isn't working and in general our forward play has been off for a few weeks now. We seem to be reverting back to the bomb/hack it long at all costs gameplan that frustrated the hell out of us in previous years. We need less air balls and more craft around goal, it's easy to be sucked in to bombing it when probably our two best contested marks, King and Membrey, are up there. If we do that against Geelong we will get thrashed.

Membrey is a senior leader, we have two youth forwards playing the toughest roles and Butler who was injured possibly. We need our forward line leader to stand up under pressure. He peed himself. His best game this year was round one where he really stood up and tried to win us the match through effort. Overall he's been disappointing this season.

Membrey is a senior leader, we have two youth forwards playing the toughest roles and Butler who was injured possibly. We need our forward line leader to stand up under pressure. He peed himself. His best game this year was round one where he really stood up and tried to win us the match through effort. Overall he's been disappointing this season.
Repeating things a hell of a lot just makes you wrong a hell of a lot.

We've moved it quickly from defence for the majority of the season. We didn't in the first half last week which was a big mistake but when reverted back to it with some success in the 2nd half. I don't know what mental toughness has to do with it.
I more mean that we tend to revert back to the "safe" option when we're under pressure - as you say, when we switched back in H2 it made a massive difference to our play.

My thinking is that having Wood and Sharman who both tend to lead as their first option could actually make that the safe option if our delivery can be decent to them. Sure we've got the 'Kick to the rucks' if nothing is open, but that changeup could give us a different look and make that option easier to exploit.

I also see Stanley and Blicavs as a credible threat when we go to the rucks - Stanley (for all his limitations) is well capable of getting a mark, and Blicavs is a disrupter, so getting it past that area 65 out without having to rely on forcing the stoppage, and winning a clearance without Selwood getting a free for High Contact, would be desirable.

Obviously I'm just a BigFooty village idiot, but we could do with finding plans C, D and E, to go with our plans A & B, because injuries, forced changes, and management can always throw a spanner in - no doubting Wood has a tank and can take a mark, so maybe he plays the Wing role he's been doing, possibly with Billings down a bit on the other side, aiming to be targets for the ball coming out of D50, and Sharman has instructions to lead towards the side the ball is heading down at about the 50-55 mark ... if he's close enough for a shot, take it, otherwise look for a lead or go just short of the square.

Anyway ... we'll know a helluva lot more on Saturday, and I'm just hoping I'm well enough to get to Marvel for the game. :)

We need to do whatever we can to win each week. Currently Membrey isn't providing that and he's out of form, and if we keep doing the same thing we will get the same result. We played dumb football against Melbourne (I know it's easy to throw the "you didn't watch the game!1!" pot shots, as if replays don't exist or something) and Geelong have similar types of intercepting defenders who will tear us apart if we do that again. It should be obvious to the coaches that we need to find other ways against Geelong who have done it to us before as well. Ratts bangs on about the inside 50 count in his post match pressers all the time - frankly I don't care if we have 200 inside 50's, if the quality is s**t then what does it matter.

I'm not even ragging on Tim either, he's just out of form and still has his place in the side but I would like to see something different and also think something different could work. Where he has been decent this year is between the arcs and I reckon we should pursue that. Similar to how we did with Riewoldt a bit in the back end of his career. Get him leading up the ground taking a defender with him and (in most cases) out marking them. I reckon the link up style would suit him. Get some confidence back, stick him forward for parts of the game here and there, and then get him back in a permanent forward role after that. In any event we need to be smarter going inside 50 because Stewart & co will break AFL records for intercept marks if we don't adapt.

There ain’t no party like a SHARMAN party cause a SHARMAN party don’t stop!

Sharman to come in and teach our forward line how to lead.

Tom Stewart to come face to face with the second coming of Cooper Christ himself (and his stats).

Max King to relish being the second man to Sharman. King will kick 10 to combine with Sharman for 30 goals.

Joel - Judas - Selwood to duck into an umpire (but get the free still). Sharman to death stare him before kicking the sealer… jokes the game wont even be close.

Corey Enright to rip Geelong’s forward line in half. It is Enright and just. Sharman to switch sides at half time to make it fair.

Spoilers:

Saints by 100000000, Geelong to be relegated. Sharman locks in the Coleman.

Stress Wtf GIF

Last edited:
Surely the inclusion of Cooper-The-Great means Skunk will be under Stewarts armpit all game?

No doubt his inclusion would be part of the plan to make it more difficult for Stewart to play that loose man role and double team King, having another dangerous marking forward like Sharman will give him something else to think about.

They might be able to shut down King but good luck shutting down Sharman, Membrey and Ryder/Marshall as well, not to mention Higgins and Gresham

We need to do whatever we can to win each week. Currently Membrey isn't providing that and he's out of form, and if we keep doing the same thing we will get the same result. We played dumb football against Melbourne (I know it's easy to throw the "you didn't watch the game!1!" pot shots, as if replays don't exist or something) and Geelong have similar types of intercepting defenders who will tear us apart if we do that again. It should be obvious to the coaches that we need to find other ways against Geelong who have done it to us before as well. Ratts bangs on about the inside 50 count in his post match pressers all the time - frankly I don't care if we have 200 inside 50's, if the quality is s**t then what does it matter.

I'm not even ragging on Tim either, he's just out of form and still has his place in the side but I would like to see something different and also think something different could work. Where he has been decent this year is between the arcs and I reckon we should pursue that. Similar to how we did with Riewoldt a bit in the back end of his career. Get him leading up the ground taking a defender with him and (in most cases) out marking them. I reckon the link up style would suit him. Get some confidence back, stick him forward for parts of the game here and there, and then get him back in a permanent forward role after that. In any event we need to be smarter going inside 50 because Stewart & co will break AFL records for intercept marks if we don't adapt.
That’s confusing. You turn off after quarter time because we are losing but then watch a reply when you know we lost. The one thing I do know from the Melbourne game is the intercept defenders were the least of our problems. Our problem was worrying about them and not going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Paton? I think he's been our least composed all season and has been lucky to survive this long. How many times he stands still and boots the ball into a player, not a lot of awareness.

I've been a big fan of him pre-leg break, and hopefully he gets his mojo back very soon. But I would've had him at Sandy for a while getting some touch and confidence. Highmore been banging down the door all season too, such a waste.

He might have a good game and survive now! That'd be great.

Thoughts on Paton? I think he's been our least composed all season and has been lucky to survive this long. How many times he stands still and boots the ball into a player, not a lot of awareness.

I've been a big fan of him pre-leg break, and hopefully he gets his mojo back very soon. But I would've had him at Sandy for a while getting some touch and confidence. Highmore been banging down the door all season too, such a waste.

He might have a good game and survive now! That'd be great.
Honestly think he has improved most weeks. Starting to try and attack more. His main problem seems to be his slow decision making.

Christ hasn't played all year, after repeatedly giving away 50's he's been suspended for continued breaches of the umpiring dissent rule. It's a shame, we need him in the side. He's very popular (could even say his fans follow him religiously) for the way he gets up in the clouds most weeks and even when he's been down he keeps rising and rising again. And for a 33 year old, that's pretty impressive.

Oh i thought you were referring to Sharman as the second coming.

Yes, Christ should turn the other cheek when it comes to umpires, or is turning the other cheek likely to give away 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back