Preview Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 14th May, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Cats

Votes: 18 38.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing changes when nothing changes.

I'd really like to see Membrey re-invent himself in some other position other than a forward.
Move ordinary players not good ones. Membery doesn’t look like a winger to me. Ok if he runs in straight lines but really doubt his agility in traffic. He does look like a hard running marking forward.

Hey George, off topic but what ever happened to your police investigation after being targeted at the football by someone from big footy? If you shared the follow up after they looked at the cameras, I missed it. Curious to know how that person was identified and what you did to maintain your safety and that of all us other posters who this person could presumably target also

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hi yes the issue has been resolved, it was a poster who had been permanently banned from here. Thank the MCG for the CCTV. I wasn't really surprised, the same person had sent death threats to me in the past for being banned and having his posts deleted. He also had priors for beating his missus but that I found out after doing some digging on him months ago. Definitely a few unhinged types on here, probably part of the reason why I have a tendency to be combative. There is a very small group of posters on our board who have been at me for years (some that threaten more than others) but I have all their personal details in case something pops up. I made an effort to gather that information a while ago so putting two and two together here wasn't hard. Cheers

Hi yes the issue has been resolved, it was a poster who had been permanently banned from here. Thank the MCG for the CCTV. I wasn't really surprised, the same person had sent death threats to me in the past for being banned and having his posts deleted. He also had priors for beating his missus but that I found out after doing some digging on him months ago. Definitely a few unhinged types on here, probably part of the reason why I have a tendency to be combative. There is a very small group of posters on our board who have been at me for years (some that threaten more than others) but I have all their personal details in case something pops up. I made an effort to gather that information a while ago so putting two and two together here wasn't hard. Cheers
That’s pretty pathetic. How could anyone take this place so seriously that they would threaten you in actual real life.

That’s an interesting observation.

In the named team I’d say that: Long, Sinclair, Hill, Dmac, Jones, Ross and Webster are our “fast” players. Billings, Higgins and Gresh as well maybe but less sure on them.

Butler is the only obvious speedster out, whilst other fast player like Connolly and Peris are in the 2s.

More so, the speed in the forward line will be impact with Butlers absence. That being said, assuming Higgins, Gresh and one of Long/Billings/Hill get thrown in there and it’s not shocking if they can all apply pressure.

Plus for our “talls” in the forward line are pretty quick as well for their height, King, Membrey, Wood, Sharman. Though it’s a bit more of a top speed quickness rather then an acceleration quickeness. Doogs, in the backline is pretty quick as well.

If two of Long, Billings, Hill, Gresham, Higgins can apply speed and pressure up forward (along with our midfield compress), then I don’t think we’ll miss butler too much at all.

And the only other thing that will make us appear slow on the day is gonna be game plan, and whether or not that allows us to play quick or to slow everything down. A more accurate phrasing for what Ratt’s would be attempting (I believe) is dynamism. The ability to go quick/instinctive at the right times, and to go considered/strategic at others. However I also think this is a game plan that takes time to grow, as the team learns to trust each other, and operate on the same wave length.

I certainly hope that this Saturday, we default to our instinctive, line breaking play against the Cats. With the named team our speed distribution around the ground can still get them. All it really takes is one quick player to disrupt the line and then suddenly everyone seems to be flying!
Billings and Higgins despite their height aren’t quick at all. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our biggest win of the year came against the Hawks with Butler and Long forward and our scores from turnover through the roof. We’ve gone from that to having nobody in the forward line with speed. I think if we win this we’ve done well.

I'm stoked to see Sharman back in the team, and hope he gets to play at least the games against North and Adelaide too before we make any firm decisions. I am encouraged by the fact that he has basically never played a bad game for us so far.

That said, I don't think it will be a straight swap of Sharman for Butler. That will probably cost us too much in terms of forward pressure, ground ball gets and general speed inside 50. I expect to see Long moved into Butler's role as a pressure forward (and I do believe that he can outperform Butler in that pure pressure role, noting that Butler's goals have all but dried up).

This obviously requires some serious reshuffling all over the ground, and will be where Ratten and Co can prove their smarts. I don't purport to know how they will make it all work, but some general thoughts:
  • Long can be covered in the backline relatively easily because he was playing as a rebounder rather than a lockdown. For the last decade, we have never been short of rebounders. So, it could be Hill who goes back (he did it well last week). Otherwise, it might be some combination of Sinclair and Jones rotating between mid and HBF. Next week, Clark could also join that rotation.
  • With Sharman into the forward line, and assuming Long in to cover Butler, we'll have an extra forward. I wonder whether this will mean we use our resting rucks more flexibly. To date, the resting ruck has been used solely deep forward. But Sharman might give the flexibility to use the rucks much higher up the ground, to take marks on the wing and even to fill the hole in defence as an extra interceptor. This is Gawn/Jackson gameplan and I am very keen to see how Ryder/Marshall might be able to do something similar. If it works, it can be a huge weapon.
  • Interested to see if Billings will be a straight role swap for NWM, playing pure wing, or whether he'll have a more wing/forward split. If the latter, it is going to require some more rejigging.
All up, it is a fascinating game because it represents a very new structure and new personnel from anything we've seen this year. I also agree with those posters who are saying that this is our strongest side of the season. It clearly is.

Now we just need to win it.

Thoughts on Paton? I think he's been our least composed all season and has been lucky to survive this long. How many times he stands still and boots the ball into a player, not a lot of awareness.

I've been a big fan of him pre-leg break, and hopefully he gets his mojo back very soon. But I would've had him at Sandy for a while getting some touch and confidence. Highmore been banging down the door all season too, such a waste.

He might have a good game and survive now! That'd be great.
His kick getting smothered is a drinking game at my place.

Billings and Higgins despite their height aren’t quick at all. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our biggest win of the year came against the Hawks with Butler and Long forward and our scores from turnover through the roof. We’ve gone from that to having nobody in the forward line with speed. I think if we win this we’ve done well.
Who are the defenders at Geelong that bounce off HB and create? They rely heavily on intercept Marks. And my guess Enright knows that and knows they struggle with Tall mobile Forwards hence Sharman coming in. We should win enough at Stoppage to give our Fwds the best chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Move ordinary players not good ones. Membery doesn’t look like a winger to me. Ok if he runs in straight lines but really doubt his agility in traffic. He does look like a hard running marking forward.

He played most of last year and some of this year as a mobile high half forward who doubles back inside 50 as a target. It's not a static key position role any more. Often you see King as the deep target or Snags on his own inside 50 with everyone moved up the field with the play. Footy positions are more about where you line up at the bounce these days. Membrey played a few games at the end of the year as a true KPP and was much better.

I resent being referred to as unhinged. I prefer unstable or rationally challenged.

Membrey has consistently kicked 35-45 goals a year for a fair while now and looks on track to kick similar this year.

That's not bad going for a 2nd or 3rd tall key forward that pushes high up the ground.

Not sure he's the issue.

He's not the issue but we should still have standards. He's our forward leader and oldest player there. He's had his colours lowered the last few weeks. Hope he lifts.

I resent being referred to as unhinged. I prefer unstable or rationally challenged.
Stop sending death threats to me over Dunstan.

Seriously, someone would send death threats because they were banned on a football forum?

Jesus. H. Christ what a world we live in.

Hawks play a very open game and don't stifle sides. They attack harder than others attack them for wins. If you can get behind them they are cracked open. I don't think it was speed. It was entries that hit targets.

Nothing changes when nothing changes.

I'd really like to see Membrey re-invent himself in some other position other than a forward.
Membry is not a quick decision maker to so move him to back or mid permanently means we slow down more. he stops he looks he thinks. not all of the time but probably 50%

Who are the defenders at Geelong that bounce off HB and create? They rely heavily on intercept Marks. And my guess Enright knows that and knows they struggle with Tall mobile Forwards hence Sharman coming in. We should win enough at Stoppage to give our Fwds the best chance.
Forgot about the fact we have Boris in the box now. He will have some serious IP and a plan for stop there back line. Exciting

His kick getting smothered is a drinking game at my place.
My heart stops when he gets the ball. Got a bit of raph about him. Ive never seen the big deal about him. Leinert and highmore are clearly better players who offer more. But hey ratts fanboys club is in full swing. Here we go loop de loo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back