Autopsy Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I forgot about Joel Selwood running into Paddy in a ruck contest...

Thats gotta be right up there with the dumbest free kicks ive ever seen in modern footy.

He was obviously spooked by our banner.

A couple of things. How the hell has Ro only played 73 games feels like he’s been around for ages.

Secondly has there been a bigger turn around from whipping boy to most loved from Dmac, (maybe Jobe Watson) It’s honestly incredible. Also think his demeanour comes into it. I don’t think there is a single fan who doesn’t love Dmac now.

“I’m always looking for connection with the mids. I look over and out of everyone, JB was looking right at me. His eyes… I could tell just from the way he was looking at me that he wanted the ball,” Ryder told saints.com.au.

“I just gave him a little signal where I wanted him to get to and then I had to make sure I got front position on (Mark) Blicavs. As the ball came in, I sort of put my arm back a couple of times just to keep him there behind me, because I didn’t want him jumping over the top.”

Paddy plucks a perfect 10 coaches' votes
Ryder fans his right arm out as he demonstrates warding off the invisible Cats ruckman, before slapping his hands together to mirror the footy skipping off his outstretched palm like a stone on the water.

“Just at that endpoint, (Blicavs) tried to wrap me up a little bit, but because I had the front position and the ball was right there in front of me, all I needed to do was allow the speed of the ball to just come off the top of my hand,” he said.

“I just had a feeling it was going to go through at the throw-in.”

Years before his around-the-clock ruck ruck skills enthralled red, white and black onlookers, Ryder’s tap-work was burned into their minds more so out of frustration than adoration.
THIS is why we need Paddy to hang around and mentor Max Heath. Imagine if we could develop this instinct and ruck craft into the kid from the start of his career

A couple of things. How the hell has Ro only played 73 games feels like he’s been around for ages.

Secondly has there been a bigger turn around from whipping boy to most loved from Dmac, (maybe Jobe Watson) It’s honestly incredible. Also think his demeanour comes into it. I don’t think there is a single fan who doesn’t love Dmac now.
I've been thinking about this a bit recently, so happy to have egg on my face for this one. I wanted him used as a salary cap dump in a trade for Crouch, such a bad call considering we got Crouch for free.

Dmac is a genuine premiership team calibre player, he is the player I thought he would become in his first 2 seasons, I just didn't expect it to come 5 years after I had written him off.

I've been thinking about this a bit recently, so happy to have egg on my face for this one. I wanted him used as a salary cap dump in a trade for Crouch, such a bad call considering we got Crouch for free.

Dmac is a genuine premiership team calibre player, he is the player I thought he would become in his first 2 seasons, I just didn't expect it to come 5 years after I had written him off.
And let that be a lesson for all of us - majority of players take a few years to really hit their straps. Look at Longy as well - he's had a great season.
As fans with little to celebrate historically, I suppose we are all impatient.

There definitely seems to be a loading for skin colour. Even if it's subconscious. Also a small-team loading and star exemption for some. I heard a guy talking about how they'd studied league games and discovered umpiring favoured the teams that were expected to win over a long period and significantly.

I think being a smaller club and having spent 10 years down the ladder probably contributed to our games being umpired more to the favour of the opposition. I think we also have inherent biases that we don't even recognise exist on top of that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if indigenous guys got more frees paid against them and were hit harder at the tribunal.

Anybody who has supported the Fiji Rugby team over the years knows there is definitely a loading.

Fijian players will consistently get carded for actions that others do not. And It only exacerbates the narrative that we are wilfully brutal in a reckless and unskilled manner and helps to justify the next card.

With the arrival of social media into the Pacific Islands we were able to generate a vigorous discussion on various platforms like Twitter when at the last World Cup, the Fijian captain and best on ground at the time was concussed by his English opponent at a time when Fiji was leading the match and had some real momentum. But no card.

It has helped a little but it appears there is still a loading tax to be paid, albeit slightly diminished and trending down.

Had a good look at the game and as we saw they never got into gear until the 10min mark of the 3rd - and why the change it could well be down to our the coaches changed around the structure of the team and the way we entered the forward line by changing the forward entry and not letting Stewart play loose.
They would go down the wing drawing all the backs to one side of the ground and we would switch play causing most of there backs grouped on one side of the ground - it didn't allow King the space but it brought in the other players who knocked up the goals.
They didn't do it every time but it brought uncertainty to the ball movement in our forward line so the backs could not read they play.
Of course it came down to center clearances as well and winning more contested ball but the way the team have been having good 3rd quarters could be the way they change our set up after half time after clearly being beaten.
Ratten , Rath and co look to make the right moves when needed , they have a plan B and C.
The players still had to put in the effort and execute the game plan so in all it was very well done.
Doing it with out the influence of Steele goes well for our next couple games anyway, but he is going to be missed.

Anybody who has supported the Fiji Rugby team over the years knows there is definitely a loading.

Fijian players will consistently get carded for actions that others do not. And It only exacerbates the narrative that we are wilfully brutal in a reckless and unskilled manner and helps to justify the next card.

With the arrival of social media into the Pacific Islands we were able to generate a vigorous discussion on various platforms like Twitter when at the last World Cup, the Fijian captain and best on ground at the time was concussed by his English opponent at a time when Fiji was leading the match and had some real momentum. But no card.

It has helped a little but it appears there is still a loading tax to be paid, albeit slightly diminished and trending down.

Right on cue they uphold the Marlion Pickett decision. I think it's probably just timing but interesting that this week another indigenous guy goes down via tribunal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right on cue they uphold the Marlion Pickett decision. I think it's probably just timing but interesting that this week another indigenous guy goes down via tribunal.
Really.
Rowbottom is white, what’s their excuse for him? Just evening the ledger as to not be too sus in their systemic targeting of aborigines?

Watched the third quarter again, a few notes:

• Seb Ross is playing like Chris Judd Light
  • Sharman looks like he belongs, seems pretty sure of himself. Could become a Gunstan type.
  • King had so many "almost", he'd win the battle of strength, fumble the last second mark, but he'd have time to recover and get the ball to advantage. As he gets stronger he's going to have that extra half a second to get his hands ready, he is going to take a lot of marks.
  • McKenzie does a lot of little things (gently shinned the ball to Gresh at one point)
  • Gresham is playing like Neale, but more dangerous in the forward line.
  • Sinclair is scary good now, honestly should be a chance for the brownlow the way he's been playing.
God I hope you're right, had $50 on him at $251

Really.
Rowbottom is white, what’s their excuse for him? Just evening the ledger as to not be too sus in their systemic targeting of aborigines?

Funny name? I was more pointing out the coincidence rather than suggesting it as evidence. I think you'd have to do a serious study to work out if there was a bias towards skin colour but it would be worth doing. Anecdotally it looks plausible.

God I hope you're right, had $50 on him at $251
Haha still a super long shot, but reckon he's been arguably our best in quite a few wins, stands out with the mullet in full flight and does a lot if his best work where the umpires have a good view.

He'll definitely need Trac and Oliver to have a lot of votes taken off them by their team mates to have a chance though.

Really.

Yep, now whenever they rub out an indigenous, or player of non-Anglo-Saxon heritage, they will be also rubbing out a token white guy to cover for their inherent bigotry.

Baker is lucky he retired.

"Smitheeeeers.....i have to suspend a black guy this week, go through the footage and find out what we can nail Baker for".

Just to stir the pot some more, I have been in a room pre game where an officiating umpire has entered unannounced, stated his intention to, and I quote, "enjoy f'ing you lot" and then walk out to officiate said match. The reason behind that disdain is simply because, after selecting that league to join, we ended up with same mascot as an entity in that league, and of course, people in that league then got pissy when we started winning flags as it dun confuzzled them what pussy won. The histrionic big cat variant in whatever league they entered, or the bitch that got bodied quite often since that league had VFL affiliations aplenty and screw the rural upstart.

So it's not just you know, personal vendettas based on persons at play in sport, it can be something as simple as "no, we are this cat, you choose another cat and piss on your history or I'll get mad & even" situation. It was also escalated through, as you know, fair play and all, as I was but a child back then and mascot for said club, hence being in said room, all I heard later was that escalation ended with SFA except money loss for obvious reasons of boats and rocking.

Funny name? I was more pointing out the coincidence rather than suggesting it as evidence. I think you'd have to do a serious study to work out if there was a bias towards skin colour but it would be worth doing. Anecdotally it looks plausible.

If anything, Rowbottoms was Long v Darcy, as Row ran past the ball, lower jaw met shoulder and Row followed up momentum force "GTFO" me shove, v the Long situation of "he ran past the ball then hipped Sean in the side of the head" simply as both players were deemed as running past the ball and collecting someone high.

In Longs case, Sean is obviously a dopey ruckman, so he got KO'd.
In Rowbottoms case, Merrett is a HFF turned mid, so just got stunned by a jaw tap.

So both reckless, both high, Long had bigger balls and took out a bigger target, man up Rowbottom ya princess, quick picking on the smaller guy.

Haha still a super long shot, but reckon he's been arguably our best in quite a few wins, stands out with the mullet in full flight and does a lot if his best work where the umpires have a good view.

He'll definitely need Trac and Oliver to have a lot of votes taken off them by their team mates to have a chance though.
Agree

Think Cripps would have 15 votes already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back