Autopsy Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon if he stays fit there’s a good chance he does. Seems to be loving his time at the club and still playing great footy. The club can work out blocks of time to rest/travel home if he wants it.
You’re a long time retired.
I'd be offering him whatever he needs to stay fit, be available, and be our Mumford (without the cheap shots) for a couple of years ... him getting through 10 games + finals (and saving our season if Marshall goes down) could easily see him with a premiership medal a around his nexk, and an express ride to being a legend of our club.

I was actually happy with that tuohy play. he didn't get him but I've never seen him run so hard. absolutely ran his legs out, accelerated about 3 times to try and get him.
That was my thought ... I almost asked the person what more they wanted from him (they might have been satisfied with both hammies torn from the bone, after all ...), because I thought it was a bloody impressive chase which kept pressure on the ball carrier.

That was my thought ... I almost asked the person what more they wanted from him (they might have been satisfied with both hammies torn from the bone, after all ...), because I thought it was a bloody impressive chase which kept pressure on the ball carrier.
regardless of the result, its the sort of effort we haven't seen from him in the last couple years. real sign of his change

regardless of the result, its the sort of effort we haven't seen from him in the last couple years. real sign of his change
I thought it was an amazing chase and he just had nothing else to give, spent every bit of petrol he had

Agreed ... probably helps that the twins have had a chance to grow a little, and he has been able to get fully focused on footy again.

The best bit, is our fitness has improved to the point where you'll see a player do that sort of gut effort, then front up to do it again really quickly. It's a big part of our ability to run out games over the top of some very good clubs so far this season. It's a point of difference for us, and if we can start playing our gameplan in first halves, we're going to be a real threat by the end of this season.

Quite happy to see Melbourne have an injury-free run, loading up on creampuff games until about round 18, then have it all fall down around their ears, too ... streaks only really matter in finals.

Agreed ... probably helps that the twins have had a chance to grow a little, and he has been able to get fully focused on footy again.

I didn’t realise that when newborn babies grow up a little bit you can focus solely on your job while you leave your partner to raise them single handedly. I’ve clearly been doing it wrong.

I didn’t realise that when newborn babies grow up a little bit you can focus solely on your job while you leave your partner to raise them single handedly. I’ve clearly been doing it wrong.

That's not what I meant (point taken though - I should have phrased it differently) - I'd suggest, based on what we've seen, that Mr Ross is a very engaged dad who loves his kids to bits, and isn't leaving their care and upbringing soley to mum :)

I was more meaning that he's probably getting better sleep, and is able to be fully focused when he's "on the clock", leading to a much "sharper" Seb on gameday.

That's not what I meant (point taken though - I should have phrased it differently) - I'd suggest, based on what we've seen, that Mr Ross is a very engaged dad who loves his kids to bits, and isn't leaving their care and upbringing soley to mum :)

I was more meaning that he's probably getting better sleep, and is able to be fully focused when he's "on the clock", leading to a much "sharper" Seb on gameday.
Gotta be careful these days. Always someone quick to find offence

Thanks for the tip - lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A point I’d forgotten about last night but in his post game interview Paddy spoke about how he went up to Marshall and just told him “I appreciate your effort and work tonight. I know you’re playing hurt and I appreciate that”

Was asked about what he said to Marshall. Said he knows how it feels to soldier on for the club and that it means a lot when team mates highlight that.

Is he not the ultimate club man
Oh gee , that pretty...... something

I know I'm wearing by Saints coloured glasses when I say this but it would be nice when one of our blokes went for scans that occasionally we would hear back, "the injury wasn't as bad as first thought." Seem to read it all the time elsewhere but but rarely at the Saints. Think of Cripps and Walsh at Carlton. They were supposed to be out for weeks especially Walsh but missed what, one game each.

Worse still you can usually factor in a couple of more weeks on the projected time out where we are concerned.

Again, I know all teams get injuries, some more than us, but ours always seem to be significant ones when we get them.

As I said last week when did Oliver or Petracca last miss a game ? It sure helps.

Sure we have some good depth playing in the twos but there's no Jack Steele amongst them. If there was he wouldn't be playing at Sandy.

Maybe it's Hunter Clark's chance to finally stamp himself on the competition, particularly as a midfielder.

I know I'm wearing by Saints coloured glasses when I say this but it would be nice when one of our blokes went for scans that occasionally we would hear back, "the injury wasn't as bad as first thought." Seem to read it all the time elsewhere but but rarely at the Saints. Think of Cripps and Walsh at Carlton. They were supposed to be out for weeks especially Walsh but missed what, one game each.

Worse still you can usually factor in a couple of more weeks on the projected time out where we are concerned.

Again, I know all teams get injuries, some more than us, but ours always seem to be significant ones when we get them.

As I said last week when did Oliver or Petracca last miss a game ? It sure helps.

Sure we have some good depth playing in the twos but there's no Jack Steele amongst them. If there was he wouldn't be playing at Sandy.

Maybe it's Hunter Clark's chance to finally stamp himself on the competition, particularly as a midfielder.

Coincidentally Hunter is coming back from the exact same injury caused by a similar tackle. Two poorly laid tackles (though fair) that have seriously busted our midfield for the entire year pretty much now. Disappointing but I guess you have to expect it in a contact sport.

Just as we were thinking of having a close to full line-up for the first time as well.

Fingers crossed it's closer to the 6 week mark and Jack's a freak so he'll be back as soon as he can get out there.

Hunter and it sounds like Jamie Elliot coming back from the same surgery, good chance to see how effective they are straight up.

:) Partly tongue in cheek but it seems I’ve offended a few others (which was the intended effect)

:) Partly tongue in cheek but it seems I’ve offended a few others (which was the intended effect)
This is why I prefer being on BigFooty to other forums - there's actual humour around here, a bit of pi$$taking, and generally good natured banter.

One kid at a time is hard enough when they don’t sleep, but as I know from friends and in-laws who had twins, trying to get two organised, especially sleeping patterns, is a nightmare.
I could well believe that his year was disrupted a fair amount.

Anyway, kudos to him, he’s come back bigger and better and I ( and many others on here) are looking slightly stupid about wanting to trade him

Last edited:
One kid at a time is hard enough when they don’t sleep, but as I know from friends and in-laws who had twins, trying to get two organised, especially sleeping pattens, is a nightmare.
I could well believe that his year was disrupted a fair amount.

Anyway, kudos to him, he’s come back bigger and better and I ( and many others on here) are looking slightly stupid about wanting to trade him

And they don’t really “sleep” because they’re feeding every two or so hours. Agree, brutal with twins.

how good is Mowman boy Josh Battle going. been super impressed with his year... nice attack on the footy too. doesn't just defend. also offers something offensively. good footskils.

Hunter Clark was playing as a centre square mid before his injury so I’d be giving him the challenge of replacing Steele. If not now then when really.

I'd be offering him whatever he needs to stay fit, be available, and be our Mumford (without the cheap shots) for a couple of years ... him getting through 10 games + finals (and saving our season if Marshall goes down) could easily see him with a premiership medal a around his nexk, and an express ride to being a legend of our club.
You’d hope Heath might pick up a few games across the season to get a taste and Hayes will be back to support so no reason he can’t get enough weeks off to manage the season.

Actually I think Owens needs to come into serious consideration because contested possession is a huge part of our game and we’re losing our best player in that area. Owens’ contested numbers have been through the roof all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back