Autopsy Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d hope Heath might pick up a few games across the season to get a taste and Hayes will be back to support so no reason he can’t get enough weeks off to manage the season.
I think prioritising Heath's development in the 2s this season is going to be paramount for how things can work if we use Paddy in a Mumford-type capacity. We need him to ruck regularly, work with Campbell and Ryder whenever possible, and ensure he can roll forward and be effective.

If he's gone well through the VFL season, and if Round 23 is basically a "dead rubber" with finals locked in it could be worth considering a debut so we can rest whichever ruck needs it most before finals. Give him a taster of the top level (I'm expecting Swans to be finals-bound when we come to t) so he can take that away for his offseason work - hopefully he comes back craving more opportunities in 2023.

how good is Mowman boy Josh Battle going. been super impressed with his year... nice attack on the footy too. doesn't just defend. also offers something offensively. good footskils.

Low key as far as hype goes but would be one of the biggest improvers in the AFL. Lever gets talked up but Batts has him easily covered across the board.

And Alir

Darcy Moore

Low key as far as hype goes but would be one of the biggest improvers in the AFL. Lever gets talked up but Batts has him easily covered across the board.

And Alir

Darcy Moore

Wow, he's doing well. My boy's favourite player.

Some great vision tonight from David King on First Crack on the risks we took with the ball to not let Geelong outnumber us up forward and on some selfless play from Zak Jones to help King.

Is Windy a genuine shot for rising star this week?

I doubt it, they seem to have a mystery formula that requires a few good games and some big stats with no-one else playing well that week.

Actually I think Owens needs to come into serious consideration because contested possession is a huge part of our game and we’re losing our best player in that area. Owens’ contested numbers have been through the roof all year.
I agree. There’s no one right answer though and it’s great. We have multiple options that would serve the purpose give or take a few % of on day impact.

Also the idea of Owens and Windy playing together in the ones in the midfield makes me so excited. Even if only for a couple weeks it’s a snapshot into the future. Also remember they’re best mates from school/junior footy. Imagine those two holding up the premiership cup together 😍

I watched that third quarter twice. Ross and Windhager were massive. Sincs too. Ross can accelerate away from just about anyone this year, his fitness must have gone through the roof. Only one disappointing play where he chase Tuohy all the way from one end to the other then stopped when he thought he'd dish off. Ross looks like he will be in line for a top three in the B and F still.
That last chase, he was just completely spent. Can't fault his effort there in my view- it was a hell of a chase

I’ll say it again. Ross’s speed seems to have bloody doubled this year. What the fu** has the new fitness coach been doing to him? Did we get the old essendon guy?
I reckon there was 4 clearances yesterday when he was able to burn everyone and get a clean clearance. Hit s few nice kicks as well. He is playing unbelievable. I feel Seb often wasn't confident to use his jets, is now tho😀

Some great vision tonight from David King on First Crack on the risks we took with the ball to not let Geelong outnumber us up forward and on some selfless play from Zak Jones to help King.
Just watched that. Fascinating stuff. Especially from David King. I know we aren't big on that bloke, but he has been pretty consistent lately in his praise. Even when we lost. But his highlighting of Zac Jones was very interesting. Some were calling him out on the weekend during the game, but when you don't see the whole thing you haven't got the full story. Zac should be feeling good about himself.

And glad they talked up Windy! Got my fingers crossed he gets a Rising Star. We have had Sharman and NWM shafted with this in the past year. Tricky as he was the sub. But he got us going in third. And we won!

Sitting Ryder up front in the final quarter was genius. It won us the game.
Max King is very young and he looked absolutely spent in that last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched the very enjoyable 3rd quarter again, I watched the last quarter again. A bit more dispassionately this time. And without being behind the sofa as Geelong got close.

One thing that struck me was how good Billings was. He made a couple of howlers including missing another goal. But he really cracked in, and was quite physical. He threw himself into a couple of packs and got the ball moving, or saved it. I can’t say I have seen him do that before. Or rarely.

For his first game back from injury it was a really good effort. Hope he builds on that for the future. Has he gained confidence? Has the penny dropped as the old player analysts like to say?

More please Jack!

Actually I think Owens needs to come into serious consideration because contested possession is a huge part of our game and we’re losing our best player in that area. Owens’ contested numbers have been through the roof all year.
Sounds like he's on the radar listening to Ratts praising his VFL form this morning

Sounds like he's on the radar listening to Ratts praising his VFL form this morning
We're going to have some fantastic selection dilemmas coming up in our midfield as early as next season.

I suspect our "mature" mids are already feeling the breath on their necks, which is something we haven't seen at the club in a long time.

I don't think one player will replace everything Steele gives us, but if everyone cracks in, and his named replacement can go hard at the contest, we're a long way towards covering him.

Thoughts:

• Geez I wish Paddy Ryder had been at St Kilda his whole career.
  • Windhager changed things when he got on with how he cracked in but also how composed and creative he was. He may have the entire inside mid package.
  • Sharman didn't do a lot, but he just knows how to play footy. Finally got to do it in front of a St Kilda crowd.
  • Captain's performance from Seb Ross. Steele injured, Ross stepped up. Playing his best footy of career right now.
  • We're getting what we paid for from Brad Crouch.
  • Great response from Gresham after the last two weeks.
  • Also, huge response from Sinclair after Cameron decided to try and bully us. Rewatching the third quarter yesterday you could see even an hour later he was still pissed off at Cameron.
  • Also, very good second half from Mason Wood.
  • Tackle like Ben Long.

Also, permission to quote myself from six weeks ago? Thanks.

Main thought through three rounds:

Round1 v Collingwood
View attachment 1363285

Round 2 v Fremantle

View attachment 1363287

Round 3 v Richmond

View attachment 1363288

I know there is plenty to work on, but something is happening. All these runs took place in the 2nd half of games. Early in the 3rd quarter yesterday the game was there to be won, and for long periods neither team looked like taking it by the scruff of the neck. Then we sort of did.

I wanted Geary in the side this week. Ben Long will do.

1652660097098.png

Credit to my eldest who, a few minutes into the third quarter on Saturday, asked me how far behind we had been against West Coast last year. It was like he knew what was about to happen. Oh to be an optimistic, forward-looking St Kilda supporter again.

Geez, we can play some irresistible footy at times.

Anyone got a gif of the Ben Long spear tackle? Absolutely love that he smashes someone once a week, and that recently he has found the way to do it without giving away a free. He's got a real unique skill set does Ben, and I love having him in the forward line

Watching the replay now.

1- The umpire not paying too high when Jack has his shoulder ruined. Like. I get that hes on the wrong side but theres literally no way Koladthugnish could have possibly executed a legal tackle from where he was. I always say umpires shouldnt call it unless they see it but Jesus Christ, theres no doubt if it was Windhager tackling Selwood, Duncan, Danger it gets paid.

2- Same thing with Cameron on Battle, its so blatant and obvious and there are three umpires right there.

I get the big teams get the calls but stuff like that is just ridiculous. The Cameron one in particular.

3- Kolad whatever nish hasnt been cited at all for Higgins concussion? So Ryder stands still and the hawks kid gets concussed (comes off a good 30 minutes later) gets two weeks essentially because a player who ran into him got concussed yet it seems Kolad wont even be looked at? Its not a "saints get the rough end thing" but where is the consistency? Im actually fine with Kolad getting off but i just cant really see how you can say one is two weeks and the other is fine with any sort of consistency on the grading thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back