Review Round 9, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Richy was fantastic in his prime and I would love to see the likes of him, Zorko and Lester win a flag for the loyalty they have shown to us through tough times.

BUT

I'm not a fan of Richy's ball use these days, he is hesitant and second guesses himself regularly, rarely takes on challenging kicks any longer, IMO we have better options now.
Lester had a good game last night, but against faster teams, I am not sure we can play Lester and Rich in the same backline. I suppose in just over a five weeks or so, we can test that argument when we play Richmond at the GABBA.

I am a Lester is slowish groupthinker. Like all players he made some mistakes, Bombers third goal and if being super critical their first goal although Zoks game him a hospital handball. However, I think last night was one of Ryan's better games (I had him just outside of my top 5), creating a couple of opportunities and supporting run through the middle. He was also solid against Carlton. FWIW I believe Lester keeps his spot, and it is up to Dizzy to win it back.

Lester is playing further up- field and getting more opportunities to impact the game such as last night, because Andrews and Payne are playing well down back. I think you are implying that Payne has been playing better since Lester came into the team, and there may be some truth to that but, Naughton scored one goal when marked by Payne, Elliot (a small forward) had a couple shots at goal but did not score at the GABBA and against GWS Payne got coaches votes, and for all three of those games Lester did not play. I actually think because Payne and Andrews are playing so well together taking the two best forwards every game, it is creating some attacking options for our other backs, in this regard McKenna has been a stand out for me with his attacking play from half back. Of course our confidence in our defence is predicated on our strong midfield.

Will not happen because of Adams injury, but I would love to see Payne with is height, speed and agility play further up-field.
No doubt Payne has improved because he and Andrews are starting to work well together, not because Lester has been included. Lester’s presence has meant that Payne can concentrate on working on intercept marking and spoiling, knowing that once the ball is on the deck, Lester, Starcevich and McKenna have the ability to compete, clear the ball or force a stoppage. Payne has been exposed when he has been competing for ground ball, but now we have that covered. For the first time in a while, our defence looks rock solid and very well balanced.

PS. That first goal last night happened because Zorko made a mess of it, not Lester. Water under the bridge though.

Last edited:
Lester had a good game last night, but against faster teams, I am not sure we can play Lester and Rich in the same backline. I suppose in just over a five weeks or so, we can test that argument when we play Richmond at the GABBA.
Is that because Rich is too slow? Lester certainly isn’t, based on the evidence of our eyes last night.

As much we all love Oscar I think we need a better ruckman at the centre bounces, has been a problem for quite a while.

Gunston is the elephant in the room.
Oscar's problem is that he doesnt jump at centre bounces, he waits for the ball to come down, problem is when he faces opponents that do jump, they have a habit of jumping over him. I did think O was good last night, just not his rucking.

As for Gunston, I wished we'd have been able to keep McStay but acknowldge that wasnt possible, but all I read everwhere, particulalry on BF is that Gunston wasnt just an upgrade on McStay but a big upgrade. Im sorry but I just dont see that at all. Im not sure if the boys are deliberately pumping him up by saying how good he is coaching them on field, but lets be honest, his output is poor. Perhaps we should have just got him as an assistant? Fort looked more likely when he was in our team than Gunston.

Was Dunkley extremely unlucky to give away the 50? Looked like it at the game. Like he accidentally went over the 9m line by half a metre and was immediately pinged.
The interpretation is that if a player comes from outside the 9 to stand the mark inside the 9, it's always 50. Always.

If the player standing the mark was already inside the 9 when the free kick or mark is paid, they are given a little more latitude and time to retreat the required distance.

Pretty good performance I thought last night overall. Obviously there were the melts over our first half, but we only conceded 4 goals and won the inside 50 count comfortably even up to that point. So even in the first half I'm giving our (full ground) defence a tick and our midfield a tick. Where we fell down in the first half was (a) our method going inside 50 when Essendon persisted with playing a spare and (b) the obvious - set shot goal kicking!

After half time we tidied both of these up. Kicking 10 goals in a half is no mean feat when essentially your forward line is 7 on 7, ie really too crowded to score heavily.

And on the flipside, down the other end, they would have had 5 on 5 or 5 against our 6 at most, so a more open forward line than normal. So to only concede 2 goals after half time is equally noteworthy.

To me this comes back to the saying "the best form of defence is attack"... If we are scoring they cannot do so at the same time! It also brings into question our decision to slow the game down late in the third quarter... It only invited Essendon back in and they scored because of it 🤦

So, good coaching, eventually... I think even Fages himself touched on that in his presser to the effect of "why didn't we equalise the numbers earlier".

I'd still like to see us work on how we generate our scoring opportunities. I think against the top sides, simply going 7 on 7 inside 50 might become a bit of a slog... If we could find a way to still generate scores when it's 6 on 7 I think that would be better.

Maybe it's shallower entries inside 50 (look at Jeremy Cameron's kick on Friday night from between wing and half forward to the top of the 50). Usually their spare will be patrolling 25m out or deeper... There's only so much ground they can cover.

Maybe it's run and gun using our extra at the stoppage as an attacking option out the front. This would also allow us to handball forward when under pressure knowing we will have an option there, who can also form the first line of defence in the event of a turnover.

Maybe it's fighting fire with fire and using our spare at the other end, but having him overlap to receive handballs through the middle. Rich/Zorko style.

I like us playing against good game day tactician coaches like Brad Scott, Beveridge or Ross Lyon. You get good insights into what opposition are planning for our team. They'll come in with a plan based on available personnel and try to disrupt how we play. Fagan acknowledged Bombers had a system which didn't make it easy for our team and that's something we can dissect and learn more.

Spare in defense, limit Charlie's influence, run off Gunston to create play - few things must've gone up in our coaching group whiteboard for us to prepare. Also that's the second game (after Dogs) where opposition had packed our F50 early, limiting the space to contain our scoring. I think Saints and Cats will do the same to us.

Joey obviously clear best. Love the melts from the Bomber supporters. Neale second best. Lester clear 3rd best for me. Froggy so calm down back. Good intercept mark and even offers run off half back. Go the frog.

Harris Andrews and Jack Payne again excellent. If we can keep the midfield pressure up and force hack kicks forward these two guys will continue to be a wall down back.

Thought McCluggage has been much better last few weeks. Working his way back into some form. Kiddy played his best game of the year and Wilmot keeps showing glimpses of real class and quality decision making.

Always a pleasure to beat a team I have always really disliked in the Bombers.

Rich, Lyons and Gunston all playing in a final/GF or H&A game against the top ranked clubs would be a disaster on turnover IMO... Lester quicker than those 3.

If Lester can keep up his form from this game it will be extremely hard for Darcy Gardiner to make it back into seniors.

If the player standing the mark was already inside the 9 when the free kick or mark is paid, they are given a little more latitude and time to retreat the required distance.
I think that last bit should say "they are given a little more latitude and time to run up to mark the spot, get reminded politely by the umpire of the rule that's existed for years, and then slowly retreat the required distance."

Oscar's problem is that he doesnt jump at centre bounces, he waits for the ball to come down, problem is when he faces opponents that do jump, they have a habit of jumping over him. I did think O was good last night, just not his rucking.

As for Gunston, I wished we'd have been able to keep McStay but acknowldge that wasnt possible, but all I read everwhere, particulalry on BF is that Gunston wasnt just an upgrade on McStay but a big upgrade. Im sorry but I just dont see that at all. Im not sure if the boys are deliberately pumping him up by saying how good he is coaching them on field, but lets be honest, his output is poor. Perhaps we should have just got him as an assistant? Fort looked more likely when he was in our team than Gunston.
Oscar just doesn't have that sense where his players are, even when people are standing fairly still.
One occasion great front position tapped it straight to a Bomber all on his lonesome , right in front of him.
I don't think he is a massive problem though, having said that. just could be more aware of where our mids are standing at least. Possibly needs to work out where he is tapping it too before the jump, sound easy right?

I think our dump kicking from stoppages will hurt us against teams that are set up well and can transfer the ball into space.
Too many from Lockie and now Will , we can do better and need to.

Great work and goal kicking from Danniher, Charlie worked well just well covered, zigged and zagged to no evail, well done by the defender.
Thought Hippy was aggressive great to see.
Lester was great .
Harry , could work harder imo to get to spaces to receive, got to take the game by the balls if he wants that wing role. Seemed that the team was a bit off in that regard, period, pressure on the ball was down as was our running a little lethargic. Biggest problem the turnovers.
Anyway great second half of the game.
Not sure about this debate on Gunston.
If he is the only one that knows how to lead and create space or indeed make a decent lead to receive then what have our coaches been doing.
I actually think Hippy and Daniher are pretty good at this as well.
I know a few people will disagree with my thoughts, and I think it is interesting that I sit at the lower level and see certain parts of the game that you don't pick up when sitting higher, and alternitively I miss certain pieces like players movements over the whole park .
Thinking maybe going mid tier next year. on the interchange side.
So a lot of my comments are for most , play over the Stanley st side .

I'll leave the rest for the changes thread.

No doubt Payne has improved because he and Andrews are starting to work well together, not because Lester has been included. Lester’s presence has meant that Payne can concentrate on working on intercept marking and spoiling, knowing that once the ball is on the deck, Lester, Starcevich and McKenna have the ability to compete, clear the ball or force a stoppage. Payne has been exposed when he has been competing for ground ball, but now we have that covered. For the first time in a while, our defence looks rock solid and very well balanced.

PS. That first goal last night happened because Zorko made a mess of it, not Lester. Water under the bridge though.
I am just glad the defensive unit is holding up at present. Not that it really matters, but I think Payne is pretty good below his knees eg the one handed pick up against the Pies and his agility allows him to mark small forwards like Elliot. No doubt Payne and Wilmot have improved, but for me McKenna has made a big difference. And yes Zorko gave Lester a hospital handball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just glad the defensive unit is holding up at present. Not that it really matters, but I think Payne is pretty good below his knees eg the one handed pick up against the Pies and his agility allows him to mark small forwards like Elliot. No doubt Payne and Wilmot have improved, but for me McKenna has made a big difference. And yes Zorko gave Lester a hospital handball

I think Zorko returned the favour

My take on us slowing the play down at certain times during the game.
  • Sometimes the decision will come from the bench. So, players will do what is instructed.
  • The players themselves just decide it is a good time to do so. Could come after a frantic 5 minutes of play. They need a short break to recover.
  • Regularly happens in the last 1-3 minutes of play when we have a decent lead or protecting a small lead.
  • The on-field leaders decide it is time for a slowdown. Various reasons they come to this conclusion.
  • You can practice this at training for a very close finish, but nothing is better than during an AFL game

Also, us fans only point out the negatives not some positives when we actually score from this type of play.
Rayner's last goal on Saturday evening a recent example.

I think you should. He was great tonight … and not slow. All those “jokes” people were making about Lester and paint drying etc etc really look a bit silly don’t they. He was Laurie Serafini like tonight with his run and rebound. He also kept putting in those long attacking gut running efforts deep into the last quarter.
Nope. I've refrained from raining on your parade so far because, to my utter shock and amazement, Ryan Lester put in a more-than serviceable game on Saturday; in fact, he played well. BUT:

Laurie Serafini not playing cost us a premiership in 1983. Looking at our likely competitors this year, Lester playing would likely cost us a flag. His endeavour is unquestioned, but he simply lacks the tools - particulary speed - to match it with the Melbourne, Geelong and Collingwood forwards

I think you should. He was great tonight … and not slow. All those “jokes” people were making about Lester and paint drying etc etc really look a bit silly don’t they. He was Laurie Serafini like tonight with his run and rebound. He also kept putting in those long attacking gut running efforts deep into the last quarter.
I look silly naturally 3KZ.

Nope. I've refrained from raining on your parade so far because, to my utter shock and amazement, Ryan Lester put in a more-than serviceable game on Saturday; in fact, he played well. BUT:

Laurie Serafini not playing cost us a premiership in 1983. Looking at our likely competitors this year, Lester playing would likely cost us a flag. His endeavour is unquestioned, but he simply lacks the tools - particulary speed - to match it with the Melbourne, Geelong and Collingwood forwards
1983 … I remember … I was at both of our finals that year. Serafini was a champion - Lester’s rebound game was ‘Serafini like’ - massive difference between those two.

Pretty good performance I thought last night overall. Obviously there were the melts over our first half, but we only conceded 4 goals and won the inside 50 count comfortably even up to that point. So even in the first half I'm giving our (full ground) defence a tick and our midfield a tick. Where we fell down in the first half was (a) our method going inside 50 when Essendon persisted with playing a spare and (b) the obvious - set shot goal kicking!

After half time we tidied both of these up. Kicking 10 goals in a half is no mean feat when essentially your forward line is 7 on 7, ie really too crowded to score heavily.

And on the flipside, down the other end, they would have had 5 on 5 or 5 against our 6 at most, so a more open forward line than normal. So to only concede 2 goals after half time is equally noteworthy.

To me this comes back to the saying "the best form of defence is attack"... If we are scoring they cannot do so at the same time! It also brings into question our decision to slow the game down late in the third quarter... It only invited Essendon back in and they scored because of it 🤦

So, good coaching, eventually... I think even Fages himself touched on that in his presser to the effect of "why didn't we equalise the numbers earlier".

I'd still like to see us work on how we generate our scoring opportunities. I think against the top sides, simply going 7 on 7 inside 50 might become a bit of a slog... If we could find a way to still generate scores when it's 6 on 7 I think that would be better.

Maybe it's shallower entries inside 50 (look at Jeremy Cameron's kick on Friday night from between wing and half forward to the top of the 50). Usually their spare will be patrolling 25m out or deeper... There's only so much ground they can cover.

Maybe it's run and gun using our extra at the stoppage as an attacking option out the front. This would also allow us to handball forward when under pressure knowing we will have an option there, who can also form the first line of defence in the event of a turnover.

Maybe it's fighting fire with fire and using our spare at the other end, but having him overlap to receive handballs through the middle. Rich/Zorko style.
Thanks for the detailed information. Watching on TV it is difficult to keep up with the match ups. It looked like the Dons had extras back for most of the game but if was difficult to work out where our extra was ie matching through a seven man forward line; extra at the contest or spare in defence. The commentators weren’t any help in clarifying, I guess because they are watching on TV as well. (Very disappointing given what we pay for Kayo, but this is not my main point).

It would be good to know detail on set ups. Are we winning the clearances due to an extra number, is the defence on top due to an extra number etc etc.

Nice to get this sort of info in the review thread.

Interesting game. 2 issues in the first half - dealing with their numbers. But also PERCEIVED pressure. We kept hurrying when we didn't have to.

Did what we needed to in the end. Essendon were undermanned. Most pleasing aspect was such a good defensive effort. I thought we got opened up a bit too easily in the first half - we got so desperate to get a score we pressed a bit aggressively and they ended up being able to get an outnumber. Hasn't happened much this year so it stood out.

Cameron - the best 'worst' game he has played. He was well-held but kept trying! Good chasing. Fist-pumped when Daniher took a mark in the third quarter cause Cameron had been doing some blocking. Such a team player now
Neale - kicking in to 50 was terrible i thought. Need him to be better as Dunkley / Ashcroft are not particularly polished kicks (both have good hands).
Gunston - looked like the best he could do was break even. Needs to get back on the lead more? Hard to tell from tv
Coleman - probably his best game of the year. Hoping he can work back to last year's form
Rayner - best game since pies? Did some nice things. 20 touches. He KNOWS he can't get done htb as he is too damn strong. It's such a weapon of his because he waits that extra second to find the best option
Lester did some nice things and backed himself to win it a few times
And i thought Bailey had an almost game - lots of near touches. Be great if he can lift for the Suns

To me, Bailey doesn't seem to lower his centre of gravity enough sometimes when picking up the ball and tends to snatch at it and/or is thinking about what he is doing with it after he gets it, which leads to some fumbles. To his credit, he played well in the second half.

Thanks for the detailed information. Watching on TV it is difficult to keep up with the match ups. It looked like the Dons had extras back for most of the game but if was difficult to work out where our extra was ie matching through a seven man forward line; extra at the contest or spare in defence. The commentators weren’t any help in clarifying, I guess because they are watching on TV as well. (Very disappointing given what we pay for Kayo, but this is not my main point).

It would be good to know detail on set ups. Are we winning the clearances due to an extra number, is the defence on top due to an extra number etc etc.

Nice to get this sort of info in the review thread.
That is one of the things that I would love the commentators to talk about - rather then just saying the names of each successive player that touches the ball speaking about how the different teams are set up, what tactics they seem to be employing or even trying to employ and what the other side is countering with. Talk about the game not just ball watch as that part I can see for myself!

Of course that might require a different skill set in the commentary box ... ... ...

Just watched a replay of the game, some observations that confirmed my thoughts on the night and/or what I missed.

1- Jack Gunston was pretty ordinary, Hind and Redman ran off him all night, he's a worry.
2- Cam Rayner did some very good things off the ball, good pressure, always involved in goals.
3- Big O was very good, Anthony Hudson said near the end of the final quarter > Big O has been imposing.. Draper and Phillips no match for him.
4- Harry Sharp 17 disposals, apart from a couple of OOFs he was good.
5- Bailey, Coleman and McCluggage building nicely.
6- Payne and Andrews the best 1-2 key defender combination in the competition?

Loved the turnaround in the second half.
Only negative was Guston at times. He just isn't up to it as often as we would like. I do believe Cam could be more effective in his role which would allow as to bring in some more legs for defensive pressure in the forward line. Redman seemed to have the Gunston matchup and really got away from him.
Lester has been playing excellently. I'm not sure if or how he comes out with the run of form he is having right now. I'm also not sure who could come out for Rich. I'm not sure that Rich is an upgrade over anyone we have playing in defence right now.

Back