Preview Round 9 Changes/Preview vs Carlton (IN:Firrito, Ray, Dumont Out: Daw, Jacobs, Wood)

Remove this Banner Ad

most useless stat ever, why do we pick Wells? win loss has been pretty good when he has missed over the last 2 years.

It can't hurt

pretty hard to get runs on the board when you don't get opportunity

You gotta grab your opportunity......I guess Brown did.

is that just another way of saying you like Brown more?

I like my girlfriend but I also like the chick down the street......I can't have both though :/

Suspect Dumont and Ray's inclusions this week have more to do with the following match then Carlton this week. Dumont has been doing all the right things in the VFL and is a swap for Jacobs, while Ray has experience in matches against tough oppositition. Would be pretty tough on a new kid to play in a Friday night game vs Swans next week.

there is no silver lining to this news at all.

Yeah, nah.

Well perhaps not for BJ, and he will definitely be missed, but to say there's no silver linings to be gained here is getting a little carried away. Granted, they're probably more in the realm of 'potential upsides' at this point, but it's only a short trip from there to full-blown 'silver lining'.

The first obvious one is giving additional elite level minutes to guys whose opportunities may have been limited if not for the current crop of injuries. Particularly given our current 8-0 status, as winning teams tend to make less (unforced) changes. If Jacobs going down happened to be the catalyst for providing The Frogger Machine an opportunity, and he lives up to expectations, then that'd be a clear cut silver lining right there. And of course there are further examples, but I'm sure you get the point.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned much, but something that my tiny brain did give some consideration to, was that a run of injuries can assist in discouraging any sense of complacency setting in within the group (which again, can be an issue when you're sitting undefeated on top of the ladder). Obviously, not a massive thing, but an upside of sorts. However leftfield.

And of course, linking back in with the first point, it gives us the opportunity to blood exciting young talent like this Ray Farren guy that I hear everyone talking about. Don't know much about him, but fingers crossed the kid isn't overawed by the bright lights of the AFL, and really tears it up on debut.

Yeah, nah.

Your posts are always well considered and worth reading, TOD.

I'm a pure optimist, and agree, but mostly I'm happy BMac gets another go, and that Trent Dumont finally gets rewarded. BMac especially looks like a different player this year, and I think and hope that Froggy will get a solid run of games in the 1s now that Jacobs is out longer term.

Plus, we are 8-0 and don't have to play catch up footy, ergo, we don't need to risk players who have slights niggles such as Wellsy and Sammy. Rest them, get them right and bring them back in fresh.

We also have 7 kids yet to debut who all show promise, and no need to rush them in either. Plenty to like about our current situation.

IMO the bottom line was that Frog was never going to crack the team if there wasn't a significant injury concern to one of the incumbents. I know it, you know it, everyone on this board should know it. He plays in a position we have a surplus of. And in that surplus, we have some of the competition's best inside midfielders/clearance players. It just wasn't likely while we continued to employ a midfield rotation of Ziebell (inside) Swallow (inside) Cunnington (inside) Jacobs (inside/tag) Wells (inside/outside) and Dal Santo (outside).

Frog isn't good enough as an outside player (yet) to take Wells/NDS and nowhere near good enough as an inside player to take Z/Swallow/Cunners. Jacobs is essential because he has made himself indispensable and good on him for doing so. But now that Jacobs is out for anywhere from 2 weeks to the season and Wells is effectively the same, Dumont gets his opportunity. We shuffle the team around a bit and add some serious experience and game sense in Fazraz as well. I don't like that we aren't playing our first choice team but given the circumstances it's not as though we have a choice in the matter. We've been given lemons and we're...playing one of them on a wing. The other, we're making lemonade out of.

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the kids not getting a game, the way the injuries are starting to trend they will be in very shortly :thumbsu::mad:;). All the best Ray Ray and Froggy have blinders gents.

HE DID NOT!! :fearscream::fearscream:

13226821_10154889930643206_1299248003568461327_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's making a point that EVERYONE plays bad games and has bad patches of form.

That's true.

Remember that game where Carey only kicked 5 goals?

Or that one where he didn't do much for six minutes?

And of course, linking back in with the first point, it gives us the opportunity to blood exciting young talent like this Ray Farren guy that I hear everyone talking about. Don't know much about him, but fingers crossed the kid isn't overawed by the bright lights of the AFL, and really tears it up on debut.

Ha. :thumbsu:

But yeah, your main point is obviously correct. We seriously only have to look back almost 1 year to the day when Jacobs got a chance in similar circumstances - 8 weeks later he was an absolute lock in a team headed towards a top four finish.

FWIW and here is the absolute kicker, I would love nothing more than for Brown and Maj to get a run of games together. At somepoint it is going to be required for our long term future.

Further to that the luckiest guy in the team this week is Mullett.

I think a very good opportunity was this week, hence the previous discussion.

You don't and prefer to keep Petrie in, when I'd rather him come back against the Swans after a spell, that's fine.

I do agree regarding Mullett. Although I think Nahas can consider himself bloody lucky also.

Big game for Mullett. Been given the luxury of three continuous games. With so many hb flankers vying for spots he must take this opportunity and perform or he won't get a 4th. One of his trademark running goals from outside 50 would do him good, and a solid defensive performance.

Frog nowhere near good enough as an inside player to take Z/Swallow/Cunners.

Many rate Dumont very highly for his smart and clean work inside.

I'm not saying he takes their spot as they are quality at their best, but I don't think the gap is near as large as you suggest.

I'd like to think we have VFL players in various positions nipping at the senior players heels.

Last edited:
IMO the bottom line was that Frog was never going to crack the team if there wasn't a significant injury concern to one of the incumbents. I know it, you know it, everyone on this board should know it. He plays in a position we have a surplus of. And in that surplus, we have some of the competition's best inside midfielders/clearance players. It just wasn't likely while we continued to employ a midfield rotation of Ziebell (inside) Swallow (inside) Cunnington (inside) Jacobs (inside/tag) Wells (inside/outside) and Dal Santo (outside).

Frog isn't good enough as an outside player (yet) to take Wells/NDS and nowhere near good enough as an inside player to take Z/Swallow/Cunners. Jacobs is essential because he has made himself indispensable and good on him for doing so. But now that Jacobs is out for anywhere from 2 weeks to the season and Wells is effectively the same, Dumont gets his opportunity. We shuffle the team around a bit and add some serious experience and game sense in Fazraz as well. I don't like that we aren't playing our first choice team but given the circumstances it's not as though we have a choice in the matter. We've been given lemons and we're...playing one of them on a wing. The other, we're making lemonade out of.

are you saying we should have our fingers crossed Drew gets injured so Maj and Black can have a run?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back