Prediction Round 9: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a Lobb/tabs, Hogan, Cox/mccarthy, Darcy/Sandi combination can work but they need to spend less time on the ground. From the weekend it was:
Lobb 93%
Hogan 93%
Tabs 91%
Cox 86%

Run with mostly a 2 tall forward line and rotate them though the bench a bit more - let fyfe and the ruckman setup for marking contests at half back and "down the line".

Is Michael Hurley fit for Essendon?

That’s another game where the opposition’s best defender could be out. Yet we don’t capitalize on it

Dunno - what is your mail on his injury/fitness? I haven’t seen anything.

Is Michael Hurley fit for Essendon?

That’s another game where the opposition’s best defender could be out. Yet we don’t capitalize on it
Yes. Fantasia and Smith seem to be outs though.

I can be a bit on the positive side, I get that, it is why I have been a loyal Freo supporter so long. I will say though, I see our list how it is. With the changes at Optus Stadium we are sitting next to a negative twat. He carries on even when we win. Sack Ross ... he has his hate list, and he shouts loudly.
When I see this I have trouble with my kids at the footy - he simply cannot see that we are not this magical fantasy that will be a premiership team this year.

Are we becoming the worst supporters in the AFL - pretending with the right coach this list as it stands will be top 4. Get real - if we make the 8 it would be above expectations. This start of the year is above expectations.

This game is the test. We should match Essendon quite well, however we are not favourites - so the expectation should be for a loss of around 16 points. 1557930002256.png
This is based on the list of players and how we are playing. All I am saying, is do not look for things that are not there in our squad. With the recruits we have improved in a big way.

Changes - there is no way schultz comes in. There is no way Tabs goes out - that is friggin crazy as loco gets. Blakely comes in and maybe Duman. I like Darcy and I would like to see him in, but we are slow and top heavy and getting exposed and Essendon are a team that play like Richmond. Cox goes out also, even though he took some decent grabs and presented, he did not contribute much IMO.

I can be a bit on the positive side, I get that, it is why I have been a loyal Freo supporter so long. I will say though, I see our list how it is. With the changes at Optus Stadium we are sitting next to a negative twat. He carries on even when we win. Sack Ross ... he has his hate list, and he shouts loudly.
When I see this I have trouble with my kids at the footy - he simply cannot see that we are not this magical fantasy that will be a premiership team this year.

Are we becoming the worst supporters in the AFL - pretending with the right coach this list as it stands will be top 4. Get real - if we make the 8 it would be above expectations. This start of the year is above expectations.

This game is the test. We should match Essendon quite well, however we are not favourites - so the expectation should be for a loss of around 16 points. View attachment 674644
This is based on the list of players and how we are playing. All I am saying, is do not look for things that are not there in our squad. With the recruits we have improved in a big way.

Changes - there is no way schultz comes in. There is no way Tabs goes out - that is friggin crazy as loco gets. Blakely comes in and maybe Duman. I like Darcy and I would like to see him in, but we are slow and top heavy and getting exposed and Essendon are a team that play like Richmond. Cox goes out also, even though he took some decent grabs and presented, he did not contribute much IMO.
Yeah it's mind boggling listening to some of our supporters.

Need more class ball users/decision makers forward of centre - Brayshaw, Colyer, Tabs, Langdon should all be getting nervous when/if better candidates become available. Don't think we have anyone on our list who can provide the same amount of run with any better skills than Ed and you couldn't drop Tabs as he's been our best performed KPF for the year. I thought cox was our best kpf on the weekend so don't want him dropped.

Out: Brayshaw, Colyer
In: Duman, Blakely

Duman def/wing, Cerra mid/fwd, Walters mid/fwd. Blakely mid/def

This game is the test. We should match Essendon quite well, however we are not favourites - so the expectation should be for a loss of around 16 points. View attachment 674644

Great post. It's the problem some supporters can't grapple with. We have improved yet will still drop games we could have won. Games like the GWS one tend to make supporters think we have turned some magical corner and shouldn't lose another game all season.
As I see it we are two midfielders from being 'good' and 'more consistent'. Blakely coming in covers one, the other we don't have on the list unless S.Hill gets back to some kind of form. Then of course the maturation of Brayshaw and Cerra.

Great post. It's the problem some supporters can't grapple with. We have improved yet will still drop games we could have won. Games like the GWS one tend to make supporters think we have turned some magical corner and shouldn't lose another game all season.
As I see it we are two midfielders from being 'good' and 'more consistent'. Blakely coming in covers one, the other we don't have on the list unless S.Hill gets back to some kind of form. Then of course the maturation of Brayshaw and Cerra.

Culturally we have been and are being (movies, tv, even commentators overly liberal use of words like star etc) taught a narrative that improvement is next to instant or linear, when it almost never is. Growth is always multifaceted, development of capacity and competency is a never a finished process, one doesn't attain a skill at high levels and then forever have it (movie or video game upgrade style). Even the greats have off games or series (See Michael Jordan) and while romantically history is re-written greats are greats because of their ability to perform for a majority of the time within a range of high level consistency.

This does not suit our modern day narrative, is not popular for an online story (clickbate) and isn't hype enough for commentators etc yet it is true. Supporters think we beat GWS so that should be the new level. Maybe with more time and consistent improvement it will become the norm or withing the range of the new norm. Building great teams, in business, sports, family/marriage takes time. People are impatient...

'People vastly overestimate what can be achieved in a year, and vastly underestimate what they can achieve in a decade' (Tony Robbins*)

*i think...

With this in mind even though i didn't enjoy the Richmond game and was frustrated for a majority of the game, when I look at what is being put in place, what has improved and the scope for further improvement I am very pleased with our progress and what we are building.

Far be it for me to query the intellectuals that manage to make all these insightful posts I've been reading lately, but the blockhead that is yours truly looks at it this way - it's a fan forum, during which week by week people primarily comment on what they saw in the most recent game and what they expect for the upcoming game. Unbelievably unsophisticated I know, but there you have it.
So perhaps, just perhaps, if you want to look at longitudinal trends over time, rather than the microvariations on a week to week basis, the low brow world of big footy isn't for you.

Far be it for me to query the intellectuals that manage to make all these insightful posts I've been reading lately, but the blockhead that is yours truly looks at it this way - it's a fan forum, during which week by week people primarily comment on what they saw in the most recent game and what they expect for the upcoming game. Unbelievably unsophisticated I know, but there you have it.
So perhaps, just perhaps, if you want to look at longitudinal trends over time, rather than the microvariations on a week to week basis, the low brow world of big footy isn't for you.
The "small potatoes" just aren't worth stressing about however can totally understand the game day frustrations, I've ruined a fair few TV's in my day..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakely needs to come back in, he's had 3 weeks to get 100% match fit and now is the time to pull the trigger. Darcy is needed too. If this guy is our future then we need to start actually playing him. Have Cox drop out for him and go with the Lobb, Taberner and Hogan in full force. Hoping that Blakely in can free up Walters to the forward line so we have 3 talls and 3 smalls up top.

Nyhuis wasn't wrong about playing every game if its his last
I also don’t get it , Nyhuis is a much better player than Duman. Duman constantly turns it over and is to thin to play the role we want him to play .
Nyhuis disposal / defending is way better than Duman’s and doesn’t deserve to be dropped for him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back