Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
I noticed Nyhuis on Higgins at times. Plus I always like the idea of giving players a crack against their old side. Reckon Colyer just
might have put in a bit of extra effort this week. That being said, can’t complain too much at these changes. Happy to see Blakely back.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
We’re going to regret not dropping Cox!!!! Marvel stadium, Saad running out of their backline..with Hogan, Tabs and Cox in the same fwd50 applying their version of pressure.

Could possibly get very ugly. You would imagine bombers rebounders licking their lips looking at the team sheet.

You can’t have Cox and Tabs in the same team. Just like Lobb and Darcy.

Was about to post similar. Its a bit of a dilemma at the moment. We are probably 1 fwd too big but we need to keep pumping games into Hogan and Tabs is the most in form of the lot and so its a tough call to drop him. That leaves Cox who wasn't terrible last week once he got going (was awful early) - and has the added benefit of being at least an option to help out Lobb. If Hogan and McCarthy were in ripping condition/form, I think it could work, but as they are, it's an ask to carry these guys.

On this game specifically, agree, reckon wee need a touch more mobility up front. McCarthy should be good enough but just doesn't have the hungry quick defensive side when needed - and it's completely unrealistic to expect it from Tabs or Hogan (though both could be a touch better I'm sure). Cox has his moments, so maybe he's a bit more switched on this week and it works out. Don't have high hopes though TBH.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Essendon have lost two of their forward options in Smith and Fantasia though, so the perhaps the thinking is that there's less need for a lockdown defender and Duman gives some versatility, has a distinct height advantage over most smalls forwards and has pace and rebound.

Lets say if we have the same problem as having our wings shutdown again this week, we have more options with Duman and Blakely in the side - we can send Hill or Langdon to half forward to get off the tag.

I wonder who the travelling player or players from the emergencies were. As far as I can figure out Darcy hasn't travelled, or wasn't seen getting on the plane.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The West had him as playing on Higgins and keeping him goalless. As I haven't seen a replay and wasn't at the game I can't be sure who was on who. (fwiw I thought he was on Bolton). But if you were genuinely going to have integrity in selection, Alex Pearce should have been the first to be dropped after his game on Lynch. But we all know one shocker from certain players doesn't count whereas one (possibly) sub par game by others, does.
Yes, because integrity at selection would be dropping the player who’s in AA discussion after 1 bad game.

Of course fringe players are going to come in and out as they mature and the coaches figure out if they’re part of the short and long term plan. All teams do it.

My expectations regarding Blakely/Conca is that they will be very much the same except Conca might try and pick off the attacking inside target with a kick resulting in a turnover and Blakely might kick to the loose defender behind the ball to keep it safe. I hope Blakely bursts forward with the ball but I don't think he will be hitting up targets by foot like Mundy or Tucker or Walters.

Basically I'm expecting us to be thereabouts with turnovers this week as we have been the last few but I'm hopeful we structure up better with players like Tucker starting further from the contest. 16 of 22 disposals last week were handballs so if he can have that extra moment to put it onto his foot because Blakely won the hard ball for him then that's a win for the side over having a speedier winger coming in to try and defend that handball or turnover.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sounds like Nyhuis just got caught on Bolton on the cross-over sometimes. Picking up Ryan's man.

In saying all that. Nyhuis was definitely in our bottom 5 or 6 with his inability to make quick decisions.
Nyhuis stiff. Cox is surplus to requirements for mine. I just don’t get the thinking with that much height. For me it’s either him or Tabs.

They’ve got some quick rebounding types that will expose our lack of pressure from Cox, Hogan Tabs etc. Cox should of been the one to make way as its been played on a fast track like Marvel.

Would of given Bewley a go playing from HF, playing him as a slightly undersized 3rd tall at 6ft but would give more pressure. Have Tabs Roam, with hogan coming out of the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I reckon Cox is a late out seeing as Nyhuis is there on the emergency list. Who traveled among the emergencies?

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
Yes, because integrity at selection would be dropping the player who’s in AA discussion after 1 bad game.

Of course fringe players are going to come in and out as they mature and the coaches figure out if they’re part of the short and long term plan. All teams do it.
Look at Constable at Geelong , Get's it nearly 30 times get's dropped.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It has seemed clear for some time that the coaching panel don’t rate Nyhuis. He needs to try and further his career elsewhere. Maybe the Bulldogs or Adelaide will be interested in him as he played really good games against them.
Seems to me that they do rate Nyhuis. Just gave him some games in the best 22.

He isn't a lock, and there is direct competition for his spot, but if he is going to become a really good player that is an ideal way to challenge him. I mean, if he can't push his way past Hughes or Duman, then he doesn't deserve a locked in best 22 position.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Cox should have been dropped, him and Tabs as players are too similar and Tabs is a 10x better player. Should have brought in Darcy so we could just run 3 talls in Lobb, Tabs and Hogan

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Would of given Bewley a go playing from HF, playing him as a slightly undersized 3rd tall at 6ft but would give more pressure. Have Tabs Roam, with hogan coming out of the goal square.
I would like to see this. We need more mobility, and Bewley's long kicking would be useful. I also want to give him a run to see what impact he can have in improving our forward half.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Cox should have been dropped, him and Tabs as players are too similar and Tabs is a 10x better player. Should have brought in Darcy so we could just run 3 talls in Lobb, Tabs and Hogan
I agree with this, but Lobb is pretty similar to Taberner as well. Our forward mix is a bit "blocky" for now and lacks explosion, speed, dynamics.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
In saying all that. Nyhuis was definitely in our bottom 5 or 6 with his inability to make quick decisions.

They’ve got some quick rebounding types that will expose our lack of pressure from Cox, Hogan Tabs etc. Cox should of been the one to make way as its been played on a fast track like Marvel.

I think Bewley’s knock is a lack of defensive pressure unfortunately

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seems to me that they do rate Nyhuis. Just gave him some games in the best 22.

He isn't a lock, and there is direct competition for his spot, but if he is going to become a really good player that is an ideal way to challenge him. I mean, if he can't push his way past Hughes or Duman, then he doesn't deserve a locked in best 22 position.

Nyhuis has a higher AFL player rating than Duman, he has a considerably higher SuperCoach than Duman for the year and is 12th in our own player ratings while Duman is 25th. They have played 3 games each.

That is a fair amount of wide ranging information that suggests that many think Nyhuis is playing better football than Duman. The coaching group don’t think that however. That is their prerogative. But it does suggest strongly to me that other clubs may rate Nyhuis higher than the Dockers do, and that he may get better opportunity elsewhere.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nyhuis is excellent against a team that has a game plan isolating a small forward, or even a medium forward. The sort of player you'd put on their gun forward and forget about that match up, but I don't expect much the other way. He makes it 17 on 17.

Better that than being outnumbered. Wilson has repeatedly got * all of the ball but not manned up either. So too some of our forwards and mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back