Unofficial Preview Round 9 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

On Crozier: Really interesting take on differences between expectations for junior footballers and pro footy players and how that relates to him. But how, then, can one explain Crozier having much more impact last year than this year? He was at his best last year against the Western Bulldogs in Rd 2 (he replaced fellow small Ballaz, who was suspended) and was against Collingwood, when he was part of a tag-team with Son-Son. Maybe some of our disappointment comes from his having a great opportunity this year to step in for an injured Son-Son and not seeing him get big results.

On Silvagni: Don't know if I'd classify his inclusion this week as a reward, so much as inclusion by default because both McPharlin and Tanner Smith are both hurt and Ibbo is building match fitness. That said, SCOS did a helluva job a couple of years ago in the elimination final on Tomahawk, so let's hope for a repeat performance!
I wouldn't say he had a lot more impact, probably stood out a bit more, sometimes it takes them a while to get going. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. Crozier is a bit like Walters in that he doesn't need a lot of it to have an impact with his long kicking and good skills. He just doesn't seem to be able to find any space this year. Perhaps because they aren't worrying about what Walters will do! Neale took a while to build this year too but he is such a ball magnet.
I was referring to Silvagni keeping his place over Pearce who has been preferred in the past.

OK, I could see that. I'm starting to get a little concerned with Cam Sutcliffe's tank. He thrived as the sub early last year and I noticed last week v Port, there were times Sutty looked positively gassed after long runs, to the point he looked like he really was laboring. Wonder if he's better off subbing? (If there was a head-scratching emoticon, I'd use it here.)

To give Razor his credit I haven't noticed him being particularly biased towards or against any teams.

His love for himself outweighs his love of any club in particular, which may actually work in our favour as IP mentioned.
In general I reckon he's actually not too bad apart from loving himself too much and occasionally too zealous with a 50 or something when he gets a bit wound up in the moment.. People also remember any of his errors because of the way he looks and acts makes him a lot more noticeable.

The worst 2 for mine are Nicholls that should have been boned after sirengate and that Panell peanut, don't really notice many others in particular that much..

Ibbotson out baffles me. He was the travelling emergency last week and didn't play, only to play the following day and pick up 25 disposals.

There must be something up we don't know about it; maybe he's not 100% right with his shoulder at the moment otherwise he should surely be included.

Tough on C. Pearce to be dropped after being the sub last week (again bizarre?); maybe Subcliffe to return to the roll and prove why he kept his spot for the majority of last year.

OK, I could see that. I'm starting to get a little concerned with Cam Sutcliffe's tank. He thrived as the sub early last year and I noticed last week v Port, there were times Sutty looked positively gassed after long runs, to the point he looked like he really was laboring. Wonder if he's better off subbing? (If there was a head-scratching emoticon, I'd use it here.)
I reckon Sutcliffe's tank is fine.
you watch him at the 5 minute mark of the first 1/4 & he will look as if he is blowing hard & his hair is wet with sweat.
I reckon he is just one of those guys who always look like they are labouring.
did you ever see Robert Harvey or Chris Judd when they were waiting for a ballup? they looked like they needed oxygen tanks, only to burst away once play began.
I am not for one second suggesting that Cam is a player like either of those 2 absolute superstars. I am trying to highlight that appearances can be deceiving when it comes to stamina.

Very, very VERY surprised about Sheridan coming in. I tend to agree that something is still up with Hill and he is being brought in as cover with Ibbotson to play as well.

More and more ducks and drakes from RTB it seems.

On Crozier: Really interesting take on differences between expectations for junior footballers and pro footy players and how that relates to him. But how, then, can one explain Crozier having much more impact last year than this year? He was at his best last year against the Western Bulldogs in Rd 2 (he replaced fellow small Ballaz, who was suspended) and was against Collingwood, when he was part of a tag-team with Son-Son. Maybe some of our disappointment comes from his having a great opportunity this year to step in for an injured Son-Son and not seeing him get big results.

On Silvagni: Don't know if I'd classify his inclusion this week as a reward, so much as inclusion by default because both McPharlin and Tanner Smith are both hurt and Ibbo is building match fitness. That said, SCOS did a helluva job a couple of years ago in the elimination final on Tomahawk, so let's hope for a repeat performance!

I'm expecting another solid performance from SNOS playing on Hawkins.
With Dawson back at least our defensive structure is some what restored which will assist SNOS.Playing at Subi is pretty useful too,easier ground to defend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very, very VERY surprised about Sheridan coming in. I tend to agree that something is still up with Hill and he is being brought in as cover with Ibbotson to play as well.

No probs with Hill today.Went through a series of KPI runs and then joined in the main session and trained strongly.He did have a full pressure bandage on his calf but didnt show any discomfort

No probs with Hill today.Went through a series of KPI runs and then joined in the main session and trained strongly.He did have a full pressure bandage on his calf but didnt show any discomfort

That's even stranger, as he quite clearly had his knee iced after he was subbed off.

I reckon Sutcliffe's tank is fine.
you watch him at the 5 minute mark of the first 1/4 & he will look as if he is blowing hard & his hair is wet with sweat.
I reckon he is just one of those guys who always look like they are labouring.
did you ever see Robert Harvey or Chris Judd when they were waiting for a ballup? they looked like they needed oxygen tanks, only to burst away once play began.
I am not for one second suggesting that Cam is a player like either of those 2 absolute superstars. I am trying to highlight that appearances can be deceiving when it comes to stamina.

Agree with this. In fact I would have thought that it was squeak's tank and his kicking that got him drafted.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/12060143/sutcliffe-nearly-at-freo-last-year/

Agree with this. In fact I would have thought that it was squeak's tank and his kicking that got him drafted.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/12060143/sutcliffe-nearly-at-freo-last-year/
Absolutely. He is a very good endurance runner, he is always racking up touches through the middle deep into games.
Perhaps he is going through some kicking yips but I would say overall its one of his strengths. Makes good decisions and has a penetrating kick.

Absolutely. He is a very good endurance runner, he is always racking up touches through the middle deep into games.
Perhaps he is going through some kicking yips but I would say overall its one of his strengths. Makes good decisions and has a penetrating kick.

He has done well to add a defensive element to his game good enough to see him play so many games in the back 6 now but as Bruce would say he is a "wingy" type and ultimately I see him as a full time midfielder, reckon he should be gunning for DPearce's spot after another pre-season. His next step is to add the inside ball winning aspect that Pearce has over him right now which will come with more gym time I'm sure. Certainly doesn't shirk the hard stuff though.

I honestly don't think he's going through the "yips" any more than anyone else right now though, in case people haven't noticed the skill level across the entire team is well down on last year, effort has been fine.

Well that the last time, I am trusting your match reviews!

I don't think RTB plays many ducks and drakes, the team usually lines up as named.

Happy to hear that Mora is now stepping out with the AFL boys at training, his return is getting closer.

Hopefully Sheridan gets the whole game, has great run and link but is not mature enough to offer much as a sub.

Well that the last time, I am trusting your match reviews!

I don't think RTB plays many ducks and drakes, the team usually lines up as named.

Happy to hear that Mora is now stepping out with the AFL boys at training, his return is getting closer.

Hopefully Sheridan gets the whole game, has great run and link but is not mature enough to offer much as a sub.

Harry Reems and I should hang our heads in shame :(

I'm still gobsmacked by it tbh. He was awfully soft and innefectual imo.

s**t yeah no nicholls is a win too...

And I'm not sure which one is Dalgleish so that's better than him sticking out like the dog's proverbials which could only be a negative.

Before long you'll have every umpire on that list of your's. Every team gets poor decisions, can't stand incessent umpire bashing. The better team will always win. If your deserving of a victory, the umpire will not have a bearing. That is a fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back