Unofficial Preview Round 9 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

i reckon Apeness will be the main forward in the future & the others will be chasing the 2nd spot
I've not actually seen Apeness in action myself but I know a few on this board have and are confident that he looks the goods.

I can't wait for our forward line to no longer be the problem it has been.

In the long term I'm feeling quite positive about a forward line that looks like...

Walters Apeness Ballantyne
Mayne Taberbner Simpson

Positive feeling? Yeah, I'll go with that, but it's far from a certain thing that I'd want to bet a shot at a premiership on. Apeness is sounding like a gem, but what will he look like on an AFL field. Many a sensational big man at lower levels has looked average to poor on an AFL field.

Tabs we've seen a bit more of, but still, so raw and unproven. Has the building blocks to make it, but really, we're far from knowing if he's going to work out.

Simpson; I and most others have so much hope for this guy because he has talent to burn. But we know some of his story so far and clearly he's got a bit to go before we can say he's a lock-in long term member of this team.

But, all that pessimism aside, that is one fine looking fwd setup in terms of balance. A clunking contested mark player (which we so need), a hard running tall that can play the modern CHF role. A quality 3rd medium tall that can defend (Mayne) and 3 high quality skilled smalls that can run through the midfield in spurts. I like it, but it's still in the 'what might be/jury still out' type category.

Last edited:
I've not actually seen Apeness in action myself but I know a few on this board have and are confident that he looks the goods.

to be honest, I have also only seen him on the screen. it is more of a gut call on my behalf

We'll be complaining soon we haven't drafted any small forwards and defenders.

Clarke will be the 2nd tall & Mayne the 3rd. I think one if them needs to stay a little deeper cause lately our fwd line seems a bit too pressed up the ground.

As for umpiring, watched the Crows v Pies last night & I have to say, collingwood seem harshly done by. As a nuetral, the consistency was terrible. Felt bad for Cloke consistently held & chopped arms. Seems that's allowed atm.. Ie Tabs v essendon

It's funny. There seem to be a lot of complaints about low scoring games, and part of this is due to allowing key forwards to be scragged near their goals... and not giving out a free kick. Start doing that and the game would free itself up a bit.

Scragging of the bloke making the hit up lead on the wing, when trying to rebound out of defense, is another that absolutely sh*ts me. Allowing that means the ball gets bottled up and booted straight back into a cluster f*ck forward line... while a fair call would have resulted in a quick rebound and (hopefully) a fast break/slingshot/whatever down the other end.

In trying to keep the game flowing, they're actually ensuring that parts of it become even more of a cluster.

If they're trying to just call the obvious ones... I struggle to see how it isn't obvious when a defender's fist gets nowhere near the ball, but the marker magically drops the ball (and his arms end up flying off all over the place). Seems pretty obvious to me.

Tabs at CHF using his tank to full effect. Apeness to stay close to home clunking the big contested grabs in the goal square.

I like the idea of Sonny playing higher, with Mayne in the pocket. May lose a bit of pressure in the midfield, but gain a fair bit in delivery. Balla and Sonny on separate lines is appealing as it spreads the natural crumbers further up the ground.

Having Sonny and Simmo as our HFF's, and drilling in pinpoint I50's to Mayne, Balla and Apeness is a pretty frickin' attractive thought. Especially after Mayne sorts out his set shot kicking again.

''I love the physicality of it. I love the actual ruck contests themselves, I love competing,'' said Apeness, who also played gridiron.

Really sounds like he's got the perfect competitive make-up for a guy his size. Hopefully he'll add the genuine physical presence we've been missing for years up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him against East Freo (I think). Marking machine!

Ok - a friend of a cousin's uncle's neighbour's stepbrother's mother-in-law's friend... (actually the sister of a bloke I work with) is engaged to one of the Peel players who reckons Apeness is - BAR NONE - the best contested mark he has ever seen on the footy field. Reckons he just marks it down whenever the ball is heading in Apeman's direction. Now I assume this bloke hasn't played with or against the likes of Travis Cloke, but that's still pretty high praise. If the rest of his game can develop and match his ability as a contested mark, then we've got a ripper on out hands. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Steady up. He's got a lot to learn yet.

Exactly. A raw 18 year old is not the solution to our problems in 2014.

At least wait until he strings a few good performances together in the WAFL Simmofreo. And I say that as his buddy who is supposed to champion his cause at every turn.

Taberner is a better player at this point and we've seen how much he struggles at AFL level. Nothing to be gained from throwing the Ape in before he is ready.

Exactly. A raw 18 year old is not the solution to our problems in 2014.

At least wait until he strings a few good performances together in the WAFL Simmofreo. And I say that as his buddy who is supposed to champion his cause at every turn.

Taberner is a better player at this point and we've seen how much he struggles at AFL level. Nothing to be gained from throwing the Ape in before he is ready.

Keplar ?

So we continue no play a ruckman (non genuine FF) as a main target. Great idea

I'd rather play someone who is a proper forward

That ruckman has kicked 6 goals in the last two games, I'd wager that's a lot better than we'd get out of Apeness at the moment.

Steady up. He's got a lot to learn yet.

That ruckman has kicked 3 goals in his last two games.

Taberner is a fair bit further on than Apeness IMO and he can barely score at AFL level. I hope he can get a game or two on merit this year but he isn't going to be in the best 22 this year without injury.

Give yourself an uppercut and settle down.

Taberner is leaps and bounds ahead of him at present but, like I said, Apeness has all the tools but is a big goofy kid who is still learning the game.

Crashing packs and taking marks for Peel is one thing. Having a battle hardened AFL gorilla fullback on you is another.

Not many posters on BF reflect Generation NOW like you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back