Prediction Round 9: Changes Vs Gold Coast + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm yeah: ‘people need to recognize how not having enough of something can make us so maniacally focused on short-term solutions that we lose sight of our priorities. In those moments, they say, it's important to look up, to notice we are inside a tunnel.’

So not having enough premierships is making Freo fans quibble over minor details, such as whether Brandon Walker (he of the amazing closing speed and perfectly timed fists) plays, will mean we lose this game and regress back to mediocrity, when in fact we need to take a wholistic view and see the improvement of the side as a whole, and know that Brandon’s role can be done by someone else?

Look, I’d like to believe these things, but Freo has damaged me, and although we are doing many things to break convention this year: winning games after big wins, beating the cats in Geelong, winning all our away games, having the best defence, having elite pressure in the front half, etc, it’s going to take a lot to undamage me.
3 flags in a row, and I am not sure I will be there

Actually, if we beat the Dees twice this year in the H&A season I’ll start to believe it
I’d prefer to beat them in the finals.

I mean, all times is good too, I’d just hate to beat them during the regular season, only to lose in finals

I know I've been a doubter and have suffered since those first few home games held at the WACA at the age of 7.

It's a good system and the coaching, senior and conditioning staff are all mint. The culture and passion is high.

We may even drop a game against GC and I'd still back us in to get the W's back elsewhere.

As you've mentioned it's the constant fretting that we lose because just one player is missing and hence we are exposed to have a bag kicked against us. It was on full display prior to North and the fears vs reality was incomparable.

Humility is always good though, it should be tempered with confidence and a sense of direction.

It’s not so much humility that gives me pause, it’s 27 years of wading around in a puddle of purple PTSD

I’d prefer to beat them in the finals.

I mean, all times is good too, I’d just hate to beat them during the regular season, only to lose in finals

Yeah no s**t but before we even get to finals we have to play them twice. If we lose both times there there is no way I’m going into finals with the same kind of excitement than if we beat them even just the once beforehand

What's in the packed lunch? Hope it's not sandwiches. Supposed to be wet up at Metricon, don't want them going soggy.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Based off some of the scared supporter posts, probably a couple of slices of fairy bread, some tiny teddies… vanilla flavour and a juice box. Possibly some peeled carrots with the ends chopped off, BUT 100% no dip.

Let’s GO FREO!

Embrace the hype.

We all know the media is running a massive hype train phase of our season. It makes the eventual train wreck loss all the more entertaining for those fools.

We only just left the station.

Full steam ahead.

It’s interesting to see that GC have dropped Darcy MacPherson for the game against us. He is the guy who refused to be traded to NM with pick 19, so GC had to change to “plan B” and we got Brodie (and Matt Johnson). I reckon we should all put in and send Darcy a Xmas card….I’m happy to pay postage!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Realistically with the form we are in we should account for Gold Coast and Collingwood over the next two weeks, hoping that we all have Taberner, Walters, Switta back next game, and then Fyfe for the Melbourne game - that would be exciting !
Seems too good to be true, the dream has to turn into a nightmare at some point surely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, if we beat the Dees twice this year in the H&A season I’ll start to believe it
Slow at learning then.?
Me im good at accentuating the positive.
Beat melbourne once and i totally believe we can go all the way.
And this is where belief will count.

Last edited:
Hmm yeah: ‘people need to recognize how not having enough of something can make us so maniacally focused on short-term solutions that we lose sight of our priorities. In those moments, they say, it's important to look up, to notice we are inside a tunnel.’

So not having enough premierships is making Freo fans quibble over minor details, such as whether Brandon Walker (he of the amazing closing speed and perfectly timed fists) plays, will mean we lose this game and regress back to mediocrity, when in fact we need to take a wholistic view and see the improvement of the side as a whole, and know that Brandon’s role can be done by someone else?

Look, I’d like to believe these things, but Freo has damaged me, and although we are doing many things to break convention this year: winning games after big wins, beating the cats in Geelong, winning all our away games, having the best defence, having elite pressure in the front half, etc, it’s going to take a lot to undamage me.
We’ve all got baggage but we’ve also been here before. 2010 started like a house on fire and you could tell we were a different side. This was on the back of Barlow, some old guns and the younger crew coming on. We had no where near the same depth/spread of talent then that we have now, yet injuries seriously crippled us and we fizzed out. We still pushed onto a GF and a decent contention period.

Going on this surge, we appear to have a lot more control and it’s started earlier. Covid & injuries hasn’t slowed us down and the whole comp appears to only have 1 powerhouse team which also came out of nowhere only 12 months ago. The proof is starting to stack up with every part of the Freo club, the last piece is some of the fans.

Time to rip the band aid off as the lid is already gone.

Agree with all the pseudo-psychologists on here. In reality we just expect to lose because we’re conditioned to it and it’s a nice bit of insurance for our feelings. Blah blah. Anyway, I’m happy with the changes, I don’t mind making Walker earn it a bit and making Logue cherish each appearance. Amiss unlucky for mine (with Sonny out) and if it’s going to be pissing down, hopefully it doesn’t impact our speed / precision game. They’re my only thoughts.

Freo by 10 in a scrap.

We’ve all got baggage but we’ve also been here before. 2010 started like a house on fire and you could tell we were a different side. This was on the back of Barlow, some old guns and the younger crew coming on. We had no where near the same depth/spread of talent then that we have now, yet injuries seriously crippled us and we fizzed out. We still pushed onto a GF and a decent contention period.

Going on this surge, we appear to have a lot more control and it’s started earlier. Covid & injuries hasn’t slowed us down and the whole comp appears to only have 1 powerhouse team which also came out of nowhere only 12 months ago. The proof is starting to stack up with every part of the Freo club, the last piece is some of the fans.

Time to rip the band aid off as the lid is already gone.
The difference will be in AA selection, this group looks outstanding and will easily
Spread the load. 2013 we had a few champions mixed in with foot soldiers.
Also game style, speed, It’s like cloning S Hill off the chain.
I genuinely don’t know who will end up our next superstar, and there are more to
debut.

Agree with all the pseudo-psychologists on here. In reality we just expect to lose because we’re conditioned to it and it’s a nice bit of insurance for our feelings. Blah blah. Anyway, I’m happy with the changes, I don’t mind making Walker earn it a bit and making Logue cherish each appearance. Amiss unlucky for mine (with Sonny out) and if it’s going to be pissing down, hopefully it doesn’t impact our speed / precision game. They’re my only thoughts.

Freo by 10 in a scrap.

These mental scars have been etched into my mind

Having said said, Freo by 10! That's hardly convincing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back