Toast Round 9 = Collingwood 120-55 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Jesse Hogan played a good game for GWS yesterday, particularly given the limited service.

Credit to our backs though in the way in which they were able to maintain their composure with the ball deep in our backline at times. We seemed to be willing to go through the corridor more and, when that wasn't an option, diverted to the wings.

The Dogs on Saturday night weren't brave enough for long enough and kept spraying the ball to the wings and half forward when they were put under pressure in the third and fourth quarters. It's an area I think our coaching team will scrutinise heavily in the build up to Sunday's game.

I didn't realize I possessed the Power of Kirby until a jinxy post of mine brought on Frampton's training injury. Am now trying to right a wrong.
You will never possess my omnipotent powers young sidey.

Just remember, my sage predictions guided us through a pandemic.

I thought Jesse Hogan played a good game for GWS yesterday, particularly given the limited service.

Credit to our backs though in the way in which they were able to maintain their composure with the ball deep in our backline at times. We seemed to be willing to go through the corridor more and, when that wasn't an option, diverted to the wings.

The Dogs on Saturday night weren't brave enough for long enough and kept spraying the ball to the wings and half forward when they were put under pressure in the third and fourth quarters. It's an area I think our coaching team will scrutinise heavily in the build up to Sunday's game.

I reckon a lot of Hogan's dominance came from being on Murphy who was horribly undersized. If our sole objective was to shut down Hogan I think Moore gets that job done 9/10 one on one contests. But instead I reckon we spent a lot of our time risking losing that 1v1 in order to let Moore intercept.

Not taking too much away from Hogan, he was good, but to me there was some leeway.

I reckon a lot of Hogan's dominance came from being on Murphy who was horribly undersized. If our sole objective was to shut down Hogan I think Moore gets that job done 9/10 one on one contests. But instead I reckon we spent a lot of our time risking losing that 1v1 in order to let Moore intercept.

Not taking too much away from Hogan, he was good, but to me there was some leeway.
Agreed. Our modus operandi this season (and last) is to do what's in the best interests of the team as a whole, even if it means requiring players to operate outside their comfort zone or their 'traditional' positions.

I thought Hogan though showed the value of having a permanent stay at home forward at times, in an attempt to counter our high defensive line.

The bizarre element to it all was Razor’s reaction. After the goal was kicked he supposedly made a beeline to the officiating umpire to give him the thumbs up for his decision making. For me it was horrible officiating.

The first factor for me is like you said around what’s the cut off for high contact? Hill lowered yes, but that tackle was still going high even if his body position remained neutral. Once you make the decision that he lowered his body and that it’s not high contact the player in possession has relinquished his prior opportunity so it’s holding the ball. We then have the Ginnivan high contact two contests later which was called play on. By the absolute letter of the law he got the first right and the second wrong, but both non decisions were explainable. The third had no grey it was a missed free kick to Ginnivan.

Considering the AFL aren’t interested in full time umpiring I don’t know what the solution is.
I know that what I'm about to say is blasphemous as I have a duty to hate the scumps, but I actually don't mind Razor Ray.

I know that what I'm about to say is blasphemous as I have a duty to hate the scumps, but I actually don't mind Razor Ray.
I thought yesterday's game was umpired well.

The only few decisions that I remember being completely wrong was the 'push in the back' called by Nicholls against McCreery and the head high on Bobby that wasn't called. There were a few others that, while they didn't go our way, weren't shockers and had some kind of basis to be awarded or not.

I thought yesterday's game was umpired well.

The only few decisions that I remember being completely wrong was the 'push in the back' called by Nicholls against McCreery and the head high on Bobby that wasn't called. There were a few others that, while they didn't go our way, weren't shockers and had some kind of basis to be awarded or not.
I thought the push in the back was a bit soft but technically there.
Bobby lowered his body by about 3mm. That one should have definitely been called.

We would also be altering the balance of the universe if we make it to the bye without any further injuries.

Joke’s on you, all our talls are already injured, they literally can’t get injured again. Because walls, frisbees, training, playing cricket, getting drunk in the street, betting on AFL … none of those are real things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute rubbish

Jon is just showing how materialistic he is. If he’d spent “all his life” working towards world peace, or ending homelessness, or making Carltank supporters’ lives a living nightmare from which they could never wake up… no two-bit floozy can ever take that away from you.

Regardless of his persona, he's one of the most experienced and consistent umpires.

I don't always like the way he speaks to players, but it's usually a two-way street. It's a saying as old as the hills, but an umpire once they make a decision isn't going to reverse it - baffles me sometimes why players can't exercise greater discipline in the heat of the moment and address it at breaks through their captain.

I thought the push in the back was a bit soft but technically there.
Bobby lowered his body by about 3mm. That one should have definitely been called.

Bobby didn’t cause a good tackle to go high. He contributed to being decapitated. Free kick.

Beau pushed the guy. Free kick every day.

Billy should also have gotten a free for being pushed out of the marking contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back