Preview Round 9: Essendon vs Fremantle, Docklands, Sunday 16/05/2021 @ 1:10 PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: Essendon had a topsy turvy clash with GWS, falling agonizingly short of winning, losing by 2 points against GWS. Kyle Langford proved to be a point of difference, kicking 3 second half goals to get the Bombers close, whilst Zach Merrett was prolific through the middle, collecting the ball 37 times and 13 inside 50's

Fremante: The Dockers were outclassed by Brisbane, going down by 4 goals in the end. Andrew Brayshaw has firmed as one of the best young midfielders in the game, collecting 28 disposals and 7 inside 50's, whilst key forward Matt Taberner and midfielder Caleb Serong were the only multiple goal kickers for the Dockers with 2 apiece.

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 4-1 Fremantle

Form Guide

Essendon: 1W 4L
Fremantle: 3W 2L

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $1.80
Fremantle: $2.05
Line: 2.5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Fremantle

FB: Jordan Ridley - James Stewart - Jayden Laverde
FF: Travis Colyer - Rory Lobb - Michael Walters
HB: Nick Hind - Aaron Francis - Mason Redman
HF: Lachlan Schultz - Matthew Taberner - Liam Henry
MF: Kyle Langford - Andrew McGrath - Brayden Ham
MF: Blake Acres - Darcy Tucker - Adam Cerra
HF: Will Snelling - Harrison Jones - Devon Smith
HB: Reece Conca - Brennan Cox - Nathan Wilson
FF: Peter Wright - Cale Hooker - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
FB: Luke Ryan - Griffen Logue - Tobe Watson
OB: Andrew Phillips - Zachary Merrett - Darcy Parish
OB: Sean Darcy - Nathan Fyfe - Andrew Brayshaw
IC: Matthew Guelfi - Dyson Heppell - Nik Cox - Archie Perkins
IC: James Aish - Caleb Serong - Sam Switkowski - David Mundy
IS: Martin Gleeson
IS: Connor Blakely

Essendon in: Martin Gleeson (sub); Out: Jake Stringer
Fremantle in: Sam Switkowski, Adam Cerra, Luke Ryan; Out: Minairo Frederick (inj), Taylin Duman (omit), Mitch Crowden (omit)

Fremantle defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon have been the second most efficient forward line in the league this season, kicking a goal 25.52% of the time it enters their forward 50. Fremantle's back line has been middle of the road, conceding a goal 23.21% of the time it enters their defensive 50. Brennan Cox has been excellent for the Dockers this season, only losing 18% of his one on ones this season, but has to match up with Cale Hooker, who is currently equal 5th in the Coleman medal race. Reece Conca has been a solid addition to Fremantle's squad but he'll have his hands full trying to quell Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, who is arguably in the All Australian team at this point in time with 20 goals so far.

Midfield/rucks battle

A tale of ying and yang in terms of the two midfields, Fremantle are 3rd and 5th in terms of clearance and contested possession difference so far this season, whist Essendon are 17th for both of these stats this season. Essendon's inside group will be lead by Darcy Parish, who has improved out of sight so far this season, averaging a whopping 27.8 disposals and 6.4 clearances a game, with his main support coming from Andrew McGrath and Zach Merrett, thus showing the issues with Essendon's inside group. For Freo, David Mundy has been awesome so far this season, turning the clock right back to put himself in Brownlow contention so far, with support from the likes of Nat Fyfe, Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw. The outside promises to be an exciting clash for the clubs, Blake Acres and Sam Switkowski both being in great form this season. Rucks wise, Andrew Phillips may struggle against Sean Darcy, one of the best young rucks in the league, whilst Peter Wright and Rory Lobb are two of the stronger reserve rucks in the competition.

Fremantle forward line vs Essendon defence

Fremantle have kicked a goal 20.66% of the time they enter their forward 50, currently 14th in the AFL in terms of efficiency. Essendon have struggled defensively this season, conceding a goal 26.14% of the time they enter their forward 50. Jayden Laverde has been a revelation in defence, playing on talls, smalls and everything in between, and may get the big job of Michael Walters, who only has 6 goals this year but is starting to find his feet and show the class we all know him for, whilst Aaron Francis will get the big job of Matt Taberner, who has 22 goals so far this season up front.

X-Factor Player

Nathan Wilson has been a quiet achiever for the Dockers since moving home, but the half back is quick and can hoof it as far as anyone in the AFL currently, certainly one to watch this season so far

Key stat

Essendon: Inside 50's. Essendon need 50+ inside 50's to win a game of football, they're good at generating shots at goal when in there.

Fremantle: Clearances. If they lose the clearances, they usually lose the game.

Tip

Two teams with indifferent form, but Freo's midfield should give them an edge. Dockers by 27

Last edited:

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Can really only see Guelfi or Zaharakis as any chance of coming into the 22. I am assuming Waterman won’t be right.

The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Stringer or not, I think this is a genuine chance of a win.

Our luck in close games has to turn around at some stage.

Besides a win over the struggling Crows, Fremantle’s form on the road has been vastly different to their Perth form.

Also don’t underestimate the WA COVID situation. Due to the fixture change, Dockers are playing in Brisbane today in 27 degree heat before coming back to Melbourne next week for their second road trip in a row. Not ideal.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

Besides a win over the struggling Crows, Fremantle’s form on the road has been vastly different to their Perth form.

Also don’t underestimate the WA COVID situation. Due to the fixture change, Dockers are playing in Brisbane today in 27 degree heat before coming back to Melbourne next week for their second road trip in a row. Not ideal.

Definitely a winnable game

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
In Stringer's place? Help out down back?

We are in need of a big body. Maybe Waterman?

For me it is:

Out: Stringer, Ham
In: Ambrose, Guelfi

Zaka sub.

I wouldn’t have Ambrose, Hooker, Wright and Jones in the same forward line.

Unless they drop Stewart there is no place for him down back either.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I wouldn’t have Ambrose, Hooker, Wright and Jones in the same forward line.

Unless they drop Stewart there is no place for him down back either.
Probably right plus Ambrose been training forward.

Not sure Stewart is the answer down back but we need to persist.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Waterman the perfect in for Stringer (though we lose the CB presence) if fit to play.
Guelfi in for Ham, but if he hasn't been dropped to date, i imagine the coaches see something that will bring benefits by playing him continuously

either Stringer -> Guelfi w/ Zaka to sub
Or Stringer -> Waterman & Ham to sub for Guelfi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Waterman the perfect in for Stringer (though we lose the CB presence) if fit to play.
Guelfi in for Ham, but if he hasn't been dropped to date, i imagine the coaches see something that will bring benefits by playing him continuously

either Stringer -> Guelfi w/ Zaka to sub
Or Stringer -> Waterman & Ham to sub for Guelfi.

Waterman got injured last week in the VFL, although isn’t listed on the injury list.

Agree he’d be in for Stringer if available.

Also a team we’ve won our last four against.

We are absolutely in with a chance to win.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Minimal changes I’d say - Guelfi in for Stringer and Ambrose could be SUB. We must play Langford forward. Possible team;-

Laverde Stewart Francis
Heppell Ridley Redman
Cox Merrett Guelfi
Perkins Langford Snelling
Jones Hooker Tippa

Phillips Parish McGrath

Bench: Hind Ham Smith 2MP
SUB: Ambrose

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm hesitant to bring the big derp into another thread but I'm doing it with context , not just a derp bash...

It's like with him and his errant kicking, it became a cancer that infected the rest of the team, we had some horrible days of goal kicking.

I feel like, we are in remission at the minute, i feel pretty confident we are getting the gettables and the possibles at the moment, even withstanding the odd hooker howler. Some of the goalkicking was sublime v gws and mostly from our next wave

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers

Yes, this would appear to be 1 of our 2 most winnable games this season . It will be very disappointing if we dont get up here. While we have our share of outs, they are still missing their best 2 KPDs and Cerra. As well as the factors you mention.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
In- Cahill
Out-Stringer

Perkins and Heppell to go through the middle at times. Cahill as the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back