Review Round 9 - Gold Coast @ Port Adelaide

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I know Dewey has said we just have to keep training and practicing to eradicate the poor halves and quarters from our game but we’ve been saying this for 8 years now. Maybe we need to look at the methodology being employed in our training because it just doesn’t seem to be working.
Can't put the sins of the previous regime on this new one. Youngest team in the league will have poor times. Dew has done well in stopping teams kicking 150 points on us.

Sucks, sure but you dust yourself off and go again. Our defense is holding together well considering the I50's from the other team. Our midfield and forward set up needs work but there are building blocks. I.E Fiorini's 35 touches.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Collins can absolutely become an A-grade
In my opinion I reluntantly give him A- or B+, - He read the ball well but his pace I don't see any improvement . , his best position is intercepted 3rd man currently played by Ballard.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I stop reading when someone writes “I hope” as well.
Fairness and hope are both irrelevant and non-existent in both sport and life.
I stop reading when someone writes “I hope” as well.
Fairness and hope are both irrelevant and non-existent in both sport and life.
leicester city and the person that put money on them to win premiership in 2016 = Hope and fair.. That is why we never win in sport and life. You actually prefer GC to lose that win because you get use to complain them every time they lose.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
To be fair Dew second years, Brisbane fan don't expected much from Fagan last year. I think 5 win is a fair result this season.
Miles, Collins, Burgess, Corbett, Murdoch will never be A grade. Two more first Rd mid in this year draft will be the deal breaker.My complaint NEAFL team need to do better for proper backup.
Corbett possesses the tools to be a really good player.
Sticky hands, good contested mark.
Good endurance and can hit up as well
Kicking isn't too bad but can improve.
If he gets a midfield that can kick it to his advantage & further adjusts to the quicker pace then what's stopping him going to another level?

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
That poke in the eye with Ainsworth's goal celebration was comical.

Made me think of that 12th man tape with Tony Greig and Bill Lawry commentating the poor execution of the high five after a wicket.

Big Red Machine Amirite?

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I was encouraged by King despite the stats

Flew strongly
Had 2 'almost' nice marks - the one that the umpires didn't pay and the one that Wright snatched out of his hands on the near wing.

Great handball up from ground level to Wright in the forward 50 showed his touch

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
He'll improve with Rory back but he's already top 3 for intercept marks in the AFL
He only had one mark yesterday, is hard for the team to stabilise if players assigned different position week in week out. I also don't think Thompson will be ready early next season.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
The first half was very positive, playing a lot better than I thought we would this year especially without Rory, Hanley and Touk in this team.

But the 2nd half showed we still lack enough one on one ball winners. Had enough chances to win some 50/50 balls after the defence cleared it but won very few of them.

Disappointing that some of the midfield/half forwards could not do something in the 3rd quarter. Benny, Wil, 2MP, Holman, Luko, Bowes, Secco could not win a contest for a long time and the ball just kept going back inside 50. Just needed to break their strangle a couple of times and get it out the back for a quick goal to change the momentum a bit. Corbett getting a couple of contested marks about the only wins for a very long stretch.

Amyway, on to next week. Still getting a lot more out of this season than expected. The fact I was disappointed after 1/2 time is actually a good thing, since last year I would have been disappointed after 5 minutes.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think the team is on the right track.12
Corbett possesses the tools to be a really good player.
Sticky hands, good contested mark.
Good endurance and can hit up as well
Kicking isn't too bad but can improve.
If he gets a midfield that can kick it to his advantage & further adjusts to the quicker pace then what's stopping him going to another level?
Corbett not even in B- yet, I like state mature players, but a lot of people here overhype players after a few NEAFL game, same as some academy players like Budarick, Gore, Ace, they are decent but not in Toby Greene category - 34 disposal VS Carlton.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fair first half but let's not forget Port had 8 of their best 10 out so we should have not only been in it but ahead. Second half disappointing and hard to watch. First time I've seen Dew so pissed in the box - try lip reading some of his comments. Ballard, Weller, Powell have what it takes and Luko showed why he will be an absolute champion (probably for Adelaide unless we start winning at least semi regularly). Jack Martin is so disconnected from the game it's frightening to watch. Ben King's selection was poor but I saw enough grit in his game to prefer him over so many others out there. In the end though, it was a game we should have won, given the strength of the opposition. I just can't see too many emerging stars from the players we've stuck with over the past years so we continue rebuilding and replacing every year. I live in hope that Danger is out next week and they rest the Bald Headed Jesus - we might cause a boilover but then, I've always enjoyed fantasy stories.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jack Martin is a real worry. Looks like he has already checked out.

When he tried to kick it out of mid air, looked like he was scared to take the physical contact.

Fiorini had a real break out game which was a positive.

He’d be still accepting his pay cheque though.
Play him up forward for the rest of the season and trade him.

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So we're straight on the plane.
That must be so difficult just hours after a game. The big guys would be so sore sitting around in economy with cookies and bung knees.
Do we ever stay the night and take the early flight next day.
Its ok, a good few were walking the aisle or standing around playing UNO

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I think the team is on the right track.12

Corbett not even in B- yet, I like state mature players, but a lot of people here overhype players after a few NEAFL game, same as some academy players like Budarick, Gore, Ace, they are decent but not in Toby Greene category - 34 disposal VS Carlton.
I was responding to your comment where you said they (including Corbett ) will never by A grade.
I agree he's not close yet but he's only played 4 games of AFL footy. I think he has the game to become a very good 3rd tall forward. How good time will tell.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was responding to your comment where you said they (including Corbett ) will never by A grade.
I agree he's not close yet but he's only played 4 games of AFL footy. I think he has the game to become a very good 3rd tall forward. How good time will tell.
I think he can be the best link up player, Wright is good but such a waste move him so far up the ground.

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He only had one mark yesterday, is hard for the team to stabilise if players assigned different position week in week out. I also don't think Thompson will be ready early next season.
Rory is hoping to be back in time for a big preseason, I asked him how he was going this afternoon

Back