Preview Round 9 - GWS Giants vs Carlton, Sunday 19th May, Sydney Showground Stadium, 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Pathetic. Embarrassing.

Undoubtedly our worst effort since the debacle against the Cats in Geelong last year. And just as unacceptable.

So insipid, it was hard to say who our best player was. Finlayson? He kicked more than half our goals. Anyone else?

It looked like we didn't want to be there, to be honest. Look at the score after half-time, 5.6 vs 1.4. One goal in a half of footy! Are you serious, Giants? My nephews put in a better effort in the under-10s. And don't blame it on players out through injury. We had more than enough talent out there, just not enough interest. Mental preparation? Try attitude. Think I might send an email to the club tomorrow.

A shocking lead in to next week against Carlton. I'll stick my neck out now and say we won't lose, we'll be on the rebound and there will be plenty of players with sore backsides after some well-placed kicks in tomorrow's match review.

Still, there is a chance we might better the pathetic crowd who turned up at the MCG today - 14,636. Just shows what a fickle bunch Hawks supporters are, they've probably taken that mantle from the Swans.

Not good enough Giants. Lift your game immediately.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Were the players asked to play defensively against the Hawks?
If so, it didn’t work and the coaches should be embarrassed.
Why don’t we just play our game style? It’s a winning style.
We surely can’t play that way against Carlton.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Pathetic. Embarrassing.

Undoubtedly our worst effort since the debacle against the Cats in Geelong last year. And just as unacceptable.

So insipid, it was hard to say who our best player was. Finlayson? He kicked more than half our goals. Anyone else?

It looked like we didn't want to be there, to be honest. Look at the score after half-time, 5.6 vs 1.4. One goal in a half of footy! Are you serious, Giants? My nephews put in a better effort in the under-10s. And don't blame it on players out through injury. We had more than enough talent out there, just not enough interest. Mental preparation? Try attitude. Think I might send an email to the club tomorrow.

A shocking lead in to next week against Carlton. I'll stick my neck out now and say we won't lose, we'll be on the rebound and there will be plenty of players with sore backsides after some well-placed kicks in tomorrow's match review.

Still, there is a chance we might better the pathetic crowd who turned up at the MCG today - 14,636. Just shows what a fickle bunch Hawks supporters are, they've probably taken that mantle from the Swans.

Not good enough Giants. Lift your game immediately.

I thought we’d account for the Hawks easily too you know. Okay, not easily but like 20 points at least.

Love the fickle supporters. 26,000 at the SCG on Friday night but half were Dons fans. I thought my Bombers would take care of the Swans. There’s a lot of shocks in store this season, it seems.

Carlton nearly beat Collingwood, too.

If we relax going into that game, like we did with Freo, then we’re done. We played a good game against a depleted St Kilda.

I’ll back them in but they’ve got to back each other. Phil looked inspiring in the huddle but they didn’t get inspired.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Just watching the Cogs interview, Giants app. Last 10 secs, very scary image of Jez limping through. Did not look promising.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
This one should be a big win. Carlton's clearances stats are great and their midfield although young is very talented. Even so, a premiership contender that just got their pants pulled down at the home of football will bounce back strongly. That is if we are actually a contender...

I can't see to many changes apart from whitfield in. I thought hopper went missing last week as did cogs (finger def holding him back) but they will get another run. Jezza and toby were poor up front and Davis struggled to get back to the paec of the game-often playing as the lose defender but not impacting the game. Even so I think those guys will retain their spots.

Out: Buntine, Simpson
In: Whitfield, Mumford

I thought our effort and lack of defensive pressure was what cost us last week. Im expecting a huge turn around this week in those areas.

cfc4life

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey guys, any idea of Cameron's chances of playing or missing this week? Cheers.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
I don't know how we got back here, but 24months ago, it was no Mummy, no Giants.
And here we are again. It was an out that we couldn't cover.
Simpson's form in NEAFL had been OK, but shouldn't he be smashing NEAFL?

The strange recruiting blind-spot looking for ruckman continues. Flynn is well away I'm guessing, is he tall enough?
Is he dominating NEAFL?
Do we need to trade quality midfield stock to get a 6 year ruckman who can mix it with the best?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Don’t really care for much either way. We didn’t turn up when it really mattered. The club escapes scrutiny after a poor performance because they are not in Melbourne.
Lacking tough leadership.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Long wait for the team to get redemption with the last game of the next round but a hard week on the track for the team and plenty to work on. The team will need to be switched on for the other 2 games at the MCG v Demons rd10 and Tigers rd17 which are 2 winnable games with the way the teams records are at the moment and if they win I will believe they can be a flag contender but if they lose to Melbourne the media will be filling column inches with the inability of the Giants to win at the MCG
Mumford and Whitfield need to come in and hopefully Cameron is fit enough to make amends although I can say that Frawley will begetting praise and Clarkson will split the $2000 fine for the push on Cameron, not sure who else comes in after the week off for the NEAFL but Perryman could be a possible if they want a mid rotation and then the others that were omitted in Hately and Cumming and if Cameron doesnt get up for the game Sproule could be a chance for a debut and i would like to see Bonar play before the bye

My 22 for the week:

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron MDB
Langdon HH TOJ
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Reid Lloyd Buntine/Daniels/Perryman/Hately/Cumming

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
He was limping badly in the rooms after the game. I’m waiting to see if he’s playing but with three weeks in a row with contact to the shoulder I’m not confident.
HH and TOJ up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how we got back here, but 24months ago, it was no Mummy, no Giants.
And here we are again. It was an out that we couldn't cover.
Simpson's form in NEAFL had been OK, but shouldn't he be smashing NEAFL?

The strange recruiting blind-spot looking for ruckman continues. Flynn is well away I'm guessing, is he tall enough?
Is he dominating NEAFL?
Do we need to trade quality midfield stock to get a 6 year ruckman who can mix it with the best?
Flynn hasn't been able to develop properly as a ruckman as they keep playing Simpson in the NEAFL ruck when he is there

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes Davis Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Cameron Deledio
Daniels HH Langdon

Mummy Taranto Hopper

Tomlinson DeBoer Finlayson Reid

Has to be this team.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
26 man squad named on Thursday so it will be interesting which combination of rucks is named and I think Buntine and Daniels will be omitted for midfield depth and I can see Daniels back in the team after he has some goal kicking confidence and an opportunity will come for Buntine at some stage

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Are you suggesting Flynn for simpson or flynn for cameron (if injured)

I would play him with Mumford so he can coach him at the same time. Dunno what the outs need to be but Carlton seems like a good week to get him started, a serious list management decision in regards to rucks needs to be made at the end of the year and we can't enter another season with ? over who on the list is capable.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Maybe we should rest Cameron if he is injured. With the rest of our a-grade players fit, I would back them to carry any load missing via Jeremy not being there.
If he is injured no problem with him missing

But “rest”? Nah mate. You don’t rest the Colman medal leader

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I guess I meant that If only 60% fit, better to not play if that means he can get back up to say 90% fitness with only a week off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back