Toast Round 9 - Happy Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

One year ago in Round 9 2022 we were getting thumped by the Western Bulldogs at Docklands. We‘d lost 2 in a row and had slumped to 4-5 and 11th on the ladder.

I distinctly remember remarking to my Dad that night that the sugar hit from the new coach might be wearing off, the rest of the year could become a grind and that we’d “had our fun for the year”.

I have never been as wrong about anything in football.

Since then we’ve had a full season’s worth of H&A games (22) and lost just twice. I can safely say that the last 22 H&A games have been the most exciting and downright fun than I have ever witnessed.

We’ve had 12 wins by less than 2 goals, at least 11 wins when trailing at 3/4 time or later, a win after the siren, and one where we broke Carlton as a football club.

Obviously the other two losses in that time are the ones we need to atone for at the end of this year, but what a ride it has been for the past year.

Last edited:
I also changed my mind about the coaches when we started winning a year ago...and I am ready and willing to change my mind again, if we start to lose. I think fans need to be flexible.

Remember 18 months or so ago when Robert Harvey was coaching us to 17th on the ladder and we were a laughing stock for earlier trading our first round pick?

Who’s laughing now. 😔
We as fans didn't know the full story - as usual - but some in power understood the true horror of our position both on and off the field.

To say it's been one hell of a ride since is an understatement.

From the outside looking in two things strike me as standout factors in our position at the time.

The overwhelmingly stupid contract offer to Beams.

And

The Grundy contract.

Combined they were enough to place us in peril of being cellar dwellers for a decade or more.

Fortunately some had the cohuna's to act with the decisiveness and ruthlessness necessary.

I will say that the handling of Adam was a disgrace but the rest was NECESSARY and has been proven by subsequent results.

Been such an enjoyable ride for everyone associated with the club.

Short of a premiership, we’ve been blessed in the past 12 months.
Little things that make you proud of the club again like Darcy’s Anzac Day speech, Fly making the media all melt in his hands whenever he talks, Krak and Leon back at the club etc etc

Remember 18 months or so ago when Robert Harvey was coaching us to 17th on the ladder and we were a laughing stock for earlier trading our first round pick?

Who’s laughing now. 😔
I remember Harvey getting us to play the “run n gun” style… it was a pre-cursor to McCrae.
I believe we knew McCrae was coming. And, I believe Wright was instructing Harvey on how he wanted us played as a preparation for the arrival of McCrae.
Harvey was a loyal soldier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back