Autopsy Round 9: Hawks beat up on the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez - came here for some nice talking points about the game but got bombarded with talk about Lewis's commentary.

It was nice to see the midfield gel a bit better and the forward line to hit the scoreboard. I also liked that we mixed things up while we had momentum which allowed us to be even more unpredictable. Towards the end of the second quarter we had JOM and Worps in the forwardline, Breust and Wingard in the middle and Gunston in the defense.

One of the things I was hoping to have answered is what to do with Hardwick, Stratton, Sicily, Impey, Scrimshaw and Day as they can't all be playing majority defense with each other. Looks like Impey spending more time forward was the answer!

Definitely liked McEvoy/Ceglar rotating forward with only O'Brien in the side. I can't see us bringing in Lewis or Patton unless one of those three make way.

I also liked Stratton's game. He put his body on the line and impacted the contest. I don't think I have seen him play like that in well over a year.

Besides the first quarter (obviously), this was a great game to watch. Hopefully we continue to play like this so I can look forward to watch footy again!

Just watched some of the game again and noted that in the clinches Worps,JOM,Mitchell and Liam Shiels did a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed, they really did a number on the Carlton midfield after 1/4 time.
We brutalised them at stoppages. JOM and Worps were huge, neither got massive numbers but all their possessions were impactful. That's one thing that was visibly evident yesterday, no stat padding from anyone. We won the footy then moved it quickly and aggressively to a teammate in an advanced position. A real breath of fresh air

One of the best wins i have seen in a long time given all the current circumstances and game situation, i thought to myself i will give to halftime i'm glad i did and got to witness that 2nd quarter great stuff. Well done to all the coaches and players who stuck fat and dug in, A few adjustments from the assistant’s Mitchy & Burns at qtr time.

The comeback was ignited by the youngest player on the list W.Day goal, all the boys got around him what a classy finish and player he will be, Worpel 3rd yr player went into contested beast mode, back to his best ball winning capability then Tom started to take over. It was then the class and skills of the snr core that went on display Tom, Shiels, Smith, Gunners, Silk, they all stood up as one it was like a tsunami in the second qtr, the pressure was starting to lift of everyone shoulders you could feel it, it was great to see them smile again. They started to be confident with the ball in hand the longer the game went the more dare and first options they took it was great to watch roughly around 60% in the 2nd qtr.

What impressed me also, Smithy had a shocking 1st qtr several mistake leading to direct goals, did he bounce back with some form, O’brien Dropped a Soda and the end of the 2nd, Third quarter the heat was on and he slotted a nice goal when required, well done to both for turning it around.

For the First time in a month I am looking forward to next week no changes for mine, how could you! Any sore bodies i would like to See Kosi,Cj,Finn,Jones,Walker,Jekka depending on positions! Go Hawks

Ps How Good was it to have Punky,Wingard,Impey in the same side

Last edited:
Problem with internet forums is everyone has a voice for the most part and can use it how they wish- I reckon instead of tearing down the people who are overly negative, it'd be great to see us celebrate the positives, and if they wish to join in, great. If not? We can see their gratuitous negativity the next time we lose.

This was one of the first games I've seen in which Worps and Mitchell worked really well together (meaning not bump into eachother and fumble) and Jags got to use the ball more on the outside. He had some really good delivery into 50 again and I think a lot of people stereotype his kicking to what they see when he plays as an inside mid.
Having Breust and Wingers rotate through the mid was incredible for our playstyle and versatility- you could tell Carlton weren't sure how to handle these players in that space. Scully was as expected significantly better off for the wider space. I've been very critical of him in the past few weeks but at 29 if we can get this consistency into him he will still contribute for another year or two.
We also got a good look at Day starting in the centre for a few bounces- I really liked it! When he gets some size and more used to that role he'll be a real threat in that space.

Since 2000 the ledger is 22-5. Talk about being owned!!
Love it the last week the temerity of these salary cap cheats coming on here & trying to beguile us, this is priceless.
Mate just got beat the the Essendruggo's & this year will be worthwhile.
HFC does a lot of things well, but sticking it up the media & the conga line of suck holes who follow it is our magnum opus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Tim O'Brien finally goes to the big goal square in the sky, hopefully many many years from now, his gravestone will be placed about 2 m from the actual spot he'll be buried, so it can read "Timothy O'Brien almost lies here."

I thought he played pretty well yesterday.

from carlton board

That’s me. I’m the “usual suspects”. I’ve defended 100 point losses. Poor starts. Poor finishes. Poor performances. I’ve been a cheer leader, an optimist, a glass half full guy. I’ve sung the praises of this side in the worst and darkest times. Definitely one of the usual suspects.
BUT NOT TODAY! NOT THAT GARBAGE!

That’s one of the most spineless, gutless, heartless, disgraceful, shameful displays I’ve seen in a very long time. Not just from Carlton, from football in general.

Teague can fu** off! The players can fu** off! Not interested in that sort of soulless effort.

One of the best wins i have seen in a long time given all the current circumstances and game situation, i thought to myself i will give to halftime i'm glad i did and got to witness that 2nd quarter great stuff. Well done to all the coaches and players who stuck fat and dug in, A few adjustments from the assistant’s Mitchy & Burns at qtr time.

The comeback was ignited by the youngest player on the list W.Day goal, all the boys got around him what a classy finish and player he will be, Worpel 2nd yr player went into contested beast mode, back to his best ball winning capability then Tom started to take over. It was then the class and skills of the snr core that went on display Tom, Shiels, Smith, Gunners, Silk, they all stood up as one it was like a tsunami in the second qtr, the pressure was starting to lift of everyone shoulders you could feel it, it was great to see them smile again. They started to be confident with the ball in hand the longer the game went the more dare and first options they took it was great to watch roughly around 60% in the 2nd qtr.

What impressed me also, Smithy had a shocking 1st qtr several mistake leading to direct goals, did he bounce back with some form, O’brien Dropped a Soda and the end of the 2nd, Third quarter the heat was on and he slotted a nice goal when required, well done to both for turning it around.

For the First time in a month I am looking forward to next week no changes for mine, how could you! Any sore bodies i would like to See Kosi,Cj,Finn,Jones,Walker,Jekka depending on positions! Go Hawks

Ps How Good was it to have Punky,Wingard,Impey in the same side

Great post.

Must win against Freo - no changes.

Having only had a chance to watch the game today, I was expecting far worse from Jordan Lewis in his commentary.
While we have been copping it lately from all angles, some of it has been relevant and far softer criticism than we deliver on here.
Obviously a lot of the outside noise has been unwarranted bullshit but I didn’t find Lewis too over the top.

Threw himself backwards twice into on coming traffic in the first quarter to kill two contest when we were under siege.

Seriously need to enjoy the win for a week or two and move on. I doubt he will be captain next season, shouldn't that be enough for those that want to hang him?
Exactly mate, I have been critical of Stratts this year, but thought he did his job last night.

Nothing Lewis said last night or in the media in the last week or two has been wrong or unfair... We had been deplorable the past month and a lot of the things he said we have been questioning on here. He is actually doing a fine job in the media. Last thing i would want is to have him turn in to a Matthew ******* Lloyd.
Except that this isn't true. Some of the things he says are actually simply fabrications, paradoxes or just plain poor logic. I understand he is a complete moron as a human being, so hard to hold it against him, and while his criticism of Hawthorn's level of play recently have been spot on, his "expert" stance on us not going to the draft, and recruiting older players to fill holes is apparently a poor approach in his eyes, as was getting rid of him to get a younger list. He can't have it both ways. So yes his criticism of our level of play is founded, the rest of his biased rhetoric is not.

Last edited:
Except that this isn't true. Some of the things he says are actually simply fabrications, paradoxes or just plain poor logic. I understand he is a complete moron as a human being, so hard to hold it against him, and while his criticism of Hwthorn's level of play recently have been spot on, his "expert" stance on us not going to the draft, and recruiting older players to fill holes is apparently a poor approach in his eyes, as was getting rid of him to get a younger list. He can't have it both ways. So yes his criticism of our level of play is founded, the rest of his biased rhetoric is not.

Hodge is much better as an objective special comments imo, seems to have a better understanding of the game and has more in-depth discussion about game style that Jordan doesn't really present. When you have ex-pros in the media talking about the game you want insight into tactics/decisions that you can't tell having never played professionally. Hodge is much better at it than Jordan imo.

I don't care whether he slams us or not in the media (he hasn't really been) but as an actual analyst I think Jordan's pretty average. I reckon Sammy would be by far the best in terms of insight but he's too switched on for a role in media with Brian Taylor, Luke Darcy, Basil Zemplis and other such genii.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back