Autopsy Round 9: Hawks beat up on the Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently rewatching the game and I reckon there's a few things:
People who hate on TOB-he's incredibly important and won't be replaced. The sign of a good coach is knowing how to maximise a players outputs despite their deficits, and our gameplan benefits so much from him. He drops sitters, yeah, but everything else he does is so important and outweighs that one aspect of his game. Tired of defending the bloke for doing what he's told.
Morrison looked quite good in the middle- in the first quarter he had some really solid gives into space; something we've not had enough of.
Worpel had a great game- his defensive workrate was visible this game, and his movement with Titch was also great. It took JOM and Worps a while to click last year, but when they did it was really solid. Here's hoping that this is the start of it here.

The versatility in our youth currently in the 22 is really strong; Scrimshaw, Morrison, Day, Hardwick, and Worpel can all play multiple roles and this game was a great example of that. Our fanbase is apparently crying out for a tall, big bodied mid and I actually think Scrimshaw looks like he can take that role.

I guess this is where we differ. Or at least the club does. I think Clarko genuinely believes we can pinch it, still. And to be honest, don’t blame him. This is a crazy year. Who knows we may have another 8 week break in the middle of this that changes everything. Our form was awful, but so was west coasts a few weeks ago and now they are flag favs. I’m not saying we can or will win, but I think we should wait until we are genuinely out of it until pulling those triggers.

Respectfully disagreeing is always the way to go.

If next seasons list sizes weren't going to be compromised I wouldn't as concerned. In a normal season i'd rationalise it by saying that Jones, Moore, Walker and a few others with promise would be retained for obvious reasons. Now, unfortunately, i'm just worried Clarko is overrating our squad and those guys could be cast out without a real chance to prove themselves in favour of retaining veterans who are on the way down.

Time will tell though.

I know he’s the whipping boy and all, but this contest lead to a Gunston goal as Tob held the space and then pushed the supposed AA CHB under the ball.

I'm one of TOB's biggest critics here. But you can't blame him for closing his eyes, it's an instinctive reaction when someone is flying towards you from the side.

I'm one of TOB's biggest critics here. But you can't blame him for closing his eyes, it's an instinctive reaction when someone is flying towards you from the side.
Yeah, it’s a bit rough to highlight it. Almost every contest would have a moment where the players involved close their eyes for a split second.

Clearly Kane has had too many head knocks. #flog
I agree with him. Regardless of whatever wins we churn out this year, we aren't winning a flag with the current list make up and playing guys like Henderson, Scully, Puopolo (he'll be back dont worry), Stratton isn't going to get us there any quicker.
That goes for last year too - everyone has their own opinion but the way we've gone about our list management has reeked of desperation to stay relevant.

They are doing it though. Have you seen the stats Jones and Moore in particular have been putting up in the scratch matches? Jones earnt his debut, played well, then was told he was only dropped for positional reasons but then not played again.
20200802_141011.jpg
Screenshot_20200802-140649_AFL.jpg
Screenshot_20200802-140707_AFL.jpg
This is the likely reason that Jones was dropped. McEvoy had just kicked a goal and despite the scoreboard looking a bit grim we were still competing well in the middle.
You can see Jones standing off Josh Kelly, Worpel shadowed by De Boer and Mitchell getting some attention from Coniglio. Jones pays Kelly no respect and allows him to waltz through the centre completely unopposed and go inside 50 with no pressure on the kick.
I know he was on debut but it would've looked awful on his review tape and embarrassed his line coach. Clarkson hates it when players neglect their basic defensive duties and makes guys earn their spot so when Harry returns to the senior side I dare say he'll have a body at every stoppage and be a better player for it.

Agree. It’s just that I would have thought sculpt would be 1-2 km ahead given the role her plays.
Did you ignore my post? Scully spent less time on ground but covered more ground at high speed. Don’t dwell on one number. You need to view them all in context.

He really needs to qualify the comment with what Clarko does for the rest of the season and the trade period. If Clarkson continues to play the older brigade and doesn't blood kids, then Cornes is right. It's up to Hawthorn to get games into kids and start to shift out the older players.

If the side is winning and younger players are coming in, it's the best thing.

Nothing Kane Cornes says has any consequence in regard to the Hawthorn Football Club. His old man used to hate us and it appears he has passed this gene onto Kane. I used to listen to Graham Cornes on the radio years ago, and the mere mention of the name Hawthorn would have him spitting poison like some deranged death adder. I have no idea why, but I became so fed up I switched off and never went back. I care not what any member of the Cornes family thinks about Hawthorn, and nor should the club. I think I'd rather back Clarko's judgement than Kane.

View attachment 925471
View attachment 925473
View attachment 925472
This is the likely reason that Jones was dropped. McEvoy had just kicked a goal and despite the scoreboard looking a bit grim we were still competing well in the middle.
You can see Jones standing off Josh Kelly, Worpel shadowed by De Boer and Mitchell getting some attention from Coniglio. Jones pays Kelly no respect and allows him to waltz through the centre completely unopposed and go inside 50 with no pressure on the kick.
I know he was on debut but it would've looked awful on his review tape and embarrassed his line coach. Clarkson hates it when players neglect their basic defensive duties and makes guys earn their spot so when Harry returns to the senior side I dare say he'll have a body at every stoppage and be a better player for it.

That isn't worth dropping a debutant for and I doubt it is the reason why. Wasn't this the same game where pretty much every kick Wingard had went out on the full? Mistakes happen. Some are easy to correct. Pointing out an error from a stoppage is easy to rectify, as these photos have proven.

Did you ignore my post? Scully spent less time on ground but covered more ground at high speed. Don’t dwell on one number. You need to view them all in context.
No, I'd just forgotten it when I responded to this one :)

Why would Scully be spending so little TOG though? Again, meant to be an elite endurance athlete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That isn't worth dropping a debutant for and I doubt it is the reason why. Wasn't this the same game where pretty much every kick Wingard had went out on the full? Mistakes happen. Some are easy to correct. Pointing out an error from a stoppage is easy to rectify, as these photos have proven.
Also it is standard for 1 player from each team to stand apart.

Jones is actually in a good spot defensive side of the contest to stop a player running through. Also he is well positioned as a release handball option or to stream forward.

I would not be surprised if he was exactly where he was meant to be and it was Kelly not respecting him. Had the hit out gone anything other than a perfect setup for Kelly and perhaps Kelly would be embarrassed for leaving Jones on his own.

It's all speculation but you would hope that centre bounce positions are well trained into the players.

Absolutely LMAO at the people thinking I somehow don't rate TOB, or don't know what happened in that contest. I've been one of his strongest defenders.

What do people think of Breust as Captain? He's a quiet unassuming type, but he speaks really well and has some of the best footy smarts in the team.

Everyone talks of Gunners, Mitchell, O'Meara but I reckon Breust would go alright.
He’d get shitcanned for not being vocal enough and for every little error he made.

I can see Luke Breust becoming a very good line coach down the track.
This guy has had to learn and develop from a skinny runt of a lad with good positioning to the perfect HFF.
He is just so smart and always uses the ball to advantage.

Probably the best player from his draft year in 2008, alongside Beams and Sidebottom.
...and BTW Shane Savage was taken late in that year's national draft and has notched up 164 games.
Not bad eh?

Last edited:
What do people think of Breust as Captain? He's a quiet unassuming type, but he speaks really well and has some of the best footy smarts in the team.

Everyone talks of Gunners, Mitchell, O'Meara but I reckon Breust would go alright.

Nature of small forward role would put him in the spot light the same as Strats when he isn't involved.

Don't get me wrong, I love Breust more than most, but as I said the nature of his role means he has good days and then others when he's virtually non existent and all the "trade Breusts" would join the weekly "drop Breusts".

Jones is actually in a good spot defensive side of the contest to stop a player running through. Also he is well positioned as a release handball option or to stream forward.
Errrrrrr but he wasn't, was he? It was actually his player that ran through and as for being well positioned to stream forward is that with or without the ball?
He'll get another go and be the better for it

I've always rated Eddie Betts as a player, he can do some really magical things in footy and does the basic stuff well - but jeez is he past it.

My main concern is that his age is reflecting poorly in the way that he plays, there are some pathetic bits of football that have crept in as a result. The amount of posing and bad sportsmanlike s**t he did on Friday night was infuriating to watch, he's exaggerates contact at every opportunity, appeals every free kick and is generally a very poor sport - particularly in that first quarter.

Screaming in people's faces, rubbing opposition players heads, all that s**t - the game wouldn't lose anything if that went away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back