Preview Round 9 - Swans vs Bombers - Saturday 14th May @ 7.25pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We see McLean differently. As others have noted, he doesn't offer a lot other than to play deep forward, take marks and kick goals. We've had to have him pinch hit in the ruck due to injuries or the form of Sam Reid, but very sparingly. And the job he's in the team for, he doesn't do that well either. I think we view "very solid" differently. He's getting 1.2 goals a game, and 3.4 marks (with a couple of "bigger" weeks against the Eagles and Hawks where he had to move around and ruck a bit). 2 of his 3 multiple goal games were against the Eagles and North, so it's not stellar.

But as I said, for McLean it's partly due to options. If Amartey hadn't kept breaking down in reserves, he should have taken McLean's place a few weeks ago. I'm not even saying he'd be better (doubt worse), but it'd have been earned.

But those are solid performances by any measure. Was he starring, no. Was he doing his job and doing it as well as anyone else on our list could, yes. So in Horse's eyes that is solid. To Horse it would be all relative to the entire squad, not just what he'd be wanting to see from that player. Another example would be Rowbottom. I haven't liked his year so far at all but if his replacements were Stephens and Clarke then their "good" showings are about on par with Rowbottom's "bad" showings, so I can understand why Horse hasn't bothered making that change from his perspective.

But those are solid performances by any measure. Was he starring, no. Was he doing his job and doing it as well as anyone else on our list could, yes. So in Horse's eyes that is solid. To Horse it would be all relative to the entire squad, not just what he'd be wanting to see from that player. Another example would be Rowbottom. I haven't liked his year so far at all but if his replacements were Stephens and Clarke then their "good" showings are about on par with Rowbottom's "bad" showings, so I can understand why Horse hasn't bothered making that change from his perspective.
Yeah I'm going with the usual definition of solid. I said at the outset it was partly due to options, and repeated that. Now that Hickey, Ladhams and Logan are in the team, I'd prefer McLean to not come back for a while, string some bags together. Well... I suspect a quiet game for Ladhams or Logan, with a couple of reserves goals for McLean might change that quickly. But ah well.

Anyway back on Wicks, I probably wouldn't have had him in Rd 1 based on the latter part of last year and pre-season, but he was in, and has now come back after 1 decent reserves game.

Not even having a knock at these guys. At their best, they're really valuable, they hopefully have long careers, I just don't think they show their best enough at this point, and they seem to take longer to drop.

Thought Ronke was harsh, especially bringing in Bell and Wicks whom both have had a good crack and produced nothing this year
I like McLean, but he is limited by his lack of mobility. I reckon that position needs to produce more than 1 goal, 1.5 tackles and 3 marks/game. He offers nothing up the ground, and little as a 2nd ruck. I rate Amartey (or at least Amarteys ceiling) ahead of McLean
Ladhams should offer and produce more. Im looking forward to the Ladhams / Hickey combo
I think McLean needs to be in a team where he is number 1 forward.

Couldn't have Ladhams and McLean in the same team once Hickey came back, would make for a very lumbering forward line.

This. McLean needed to perform so well that Horse had no choice but to back the lumbersome bunch in. He didn't, so he made Horse's decision for him. He'll be back at some point as he's usually a very impressive reserves performer.

Couldn't have Ladhams and McLean in the same team once Hickey came back, would make for a very lumbering forward line.
This. McLean needed to perform so well that Horse had no choice but to back the lumbersome bunch in. He didn't, so he made Horse's decision for him. He'll be back at some point as he's usually a very impressive reserves performer.
Part of me thinks they also don't want Hickey rucking solo. So Ladhams stays in and it is between McLean and McDonald

Have not read the previous posts but I think it is harsh to drop McLean and Ronke. There were worse players last week.
Both tactical rather than form IMO.
McLean to allow us to play two proper rucks. It was him or Logan and Logan's extra mobility probably tipped the choice.
Wicks to increase forward pressure and maybe play closer to goal.
Arguable of course but that's my take.

Hmm happy with McLean out Ruck Jesus back in. Can understand Wicks coming in for Ronke for more pressure tackling but Ronke is a bit unlucky (Papley didn't do much either but has runs on the board) Campbell maybe needs a break physically but not sure about Bell offering anything. Relying on our midfield and Hickey to get forward fifty entries and with Ladhams , Wicks and Bell to provide the forward pressure to keep it in there.

Hmm happy with McLean out Ruck Jesus back in. Can understand Wicks coming in for Ronke for more pressure tackling but Ronke is a bit unlucky (Papley didn't do much either but has runs on the board) Campbell maybe needs a break physically but not sure about Bell offering anything. Relying on our midfield and Hickey to get forward fifty entries and with Ladhams , Wicks and Bell to provide the forward pressure to keep it in there.
Can see the byes offering a chance for some of our young players getting a rest and refresh over the byes. Gulden, Campbell, Warner, Sheldrick, etc.
We have a team with younger players playing important roles. Burnout is a factor.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually believe Ladhams is more mobile than McLean.

Like the Franklin, McDonald and Ladhams forward line set up.

Bloods on the cover of AFL record

Write up of our magnificent Young Bloods

FSneTt3aAAAWIUq

I actually believe Ladhams is more mobile than McLean.

Like the Franklin, McDonald and Ladhams forward line set up.
Same. I hope it gets a decent supply to have a decent trial

I think his longer term future will be #2 behind Logan. Amartey as #3 and cut out. A youngster coming through.
2024, post Buddy and prob post Hickey
A youngster coming through - King? seems likely we'll draft him this year
Logan no. 2
Amartey no. 3 and 2nd ruck
Whos no. 1 ? - What about Paddy, if his health stands up, he could be fantastic! We've seen him reading the ball in the air and marking. We've seen hes an excellent kick (Ill back him to be an even better set shot), they're two big elements of a tall forward

A future tall forward line of Paddy, Logan and Amartey imo has the potential to be elite. All have very high ceilings.
McLean would offer very solid depth.

In 2022 with Bell we are 3-1, without 2-2.
In 2021 with Bell we were 6-3, without 9-5

Please note this information is for general information purposes only.
The information is provided in good faith however I make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy , validity, reliability or completeness of any information in this post.
Thanks! So it appears I wasn’t imagining things (though I am still not sure he was the difference).

PS. I didn’t read the fine print and took you analysis to mean I should borrow to the hilt and invest in bitcoin as Matt Damon has been telling me to do. I no longer have a home…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back