Autopsy Round 9 = Sydney 72-42 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Noble is another notch on the Gimp belt re.. when most were singing his praises.. I stood fat re.

What takes someone an eternity to pick em.. it takes the Gimp 2 minutes mate.

Am I a great or what re.

Who said there wasn't a role for soccer fashionista extraordinaire in the AFL. Happy to be a talent scout for 500 gorillas a yr re.

Our game plan stuff seems to come up every few posts on every thread. A number of teams seems to have a more aggressive plan that us without doubt, we seem to pin our game on a good defence, still.
Do you think the game plan changed at qtr time given that the first quarter was our best for the year?
We shifted into a rubbish game plan after qtr time, of course we didn't.

To my eye, the Swans lifted intensity and pressure after Q1, causing a catastrophic fall away in our skills and execution. Way too many guys make the same errors time and again. No game plan will hold up when wrong options and missed targets occur more often than not.
As the game was slipping ( or maybe was gone ) i thought we tried to get JDG and Pendles more into the mid area but given they looked our most dangerous fwds, bar McCreery, was no surprise scoring didn't improve.
I think you are spot on.

It was always a concern coming into 21 our list quality had taken a big hit. We lost 3 best 22's with little return, we didnt bring in any ready to play recruits and out 18-24's were thin for established players. The best part of our list is in the older age group and their output is diminishing.

In this situation, when you are putting 22's onto the park that most weeks are significantly inferior to their opposition it doesnt matter what our game plan is. We cant really tell much about it (even at the best of times), list quality is really the dominant story for now. I think out expectations should be all about development for the next few seasons. I think we will probably be worse again in 22 and patience is required. There are no quick fixes with a list that bottoms out. The best coach and game plan will make little difference in the short term

I think you are spot on.

It was always a concern coming into 21 our list quality had taken a big hit. We lost 3 best 22's with little return, we didnt bring in any ready to play recruits and out 18-24's were thin for established players. The best part of our list is in the older age group and their output is diminishing.

In this situation, when you are putting 22's onto the park that most weeks are significantly inferior to their opposition it doesnt matter what our game plan is. We cant really tell much about it (even at the best of times), list quality is really the dominant story for now. I think out expectations should be all about development for the next few seasons. I think we will probably be worse again in 22 and patience is required. There are no quick fixes with a list that bottoms out. The best coach and game plan will make little difference in the short term
What’s critical in those phases is your list management and drafting teams - you need to identify and prioritise the most gaping holes and take a longer term view of how to fix them.

Unfortunately our solution has been to throw huge amounts of cash at non-difference makers in areas that we were already pretty stacked. Simply put, the list management is why we’re where we are and it has been evident for so long that we are league worst and plainly incompetent in this regard.

It all makes me so angry

Surely you excluding McCreery and Poulter is an oversight? Both have been great.

Good point. I'd say they've been good, but that doesn't tell me how good they'll be -- McCreery looks to be good with pace and effort but his disposal has been questionable. Poulter looks good, but I can't tell if he has a point of difference. History is littered with players who start well and then disappeared. So the jury is out still, for me.

Yeah, not arguing he shows some promise. But.... Does he have a point of difference? Will he become an A-grader? Dunno.
Good way of looking at it. Poulter and McCreery have shown enough to say they look like they can crack the AFL and become regular players. Henry and McCrae haven’t shown that yet but it’s early days and not a worry. They have plenty of time.

What you would love to see from one of them are some of the moments a Pendlebury, Daisy, Sidey, Beams, Moore, De Goey or Stevo showed early on to mark them as a higher grade talent. Don’t have to show it early but it’s a good sign if you do.

Good way of looking at it. Poulter and McCreery have shown enough to say they look like they can crack the AFL and become regular players. Henry and McCrae haven’t shown that yet but it’s early days and not a worry. They have plenty of time.

What you would love to see from one of them are some of the moments a Pendlebury, Daisy, Sidey, Beams, Moore, De Goey or Stevo showed early on to mark them as a higher grade talent. Don’t have to show it early but it’s a good sign if you do.

Exactly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back