Preview Round 9: Sydney vs Essendon, Sydney Cricket Ground, Saturday 14/05/2022 @ 7:25 AEST

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy against Reid or Laverde has me spooked. Reid not experienced or strong enough to match him in one on ones, or agile enough if it's on the ground. Laverde concedes too much height but is obviously a strong bastard. Even at 100 years old I have fears Buddy will pull another vintage Essendon massacre out. That said, from memory Laverde played him well last year (THAT 50m penalty still ******* stings tho), and Reid has showed a fair bit so far.

Buddy against Reid or Laverde has me spooked. Reid not experienced or strong enough to match him in one on ones, or agile enough if it's on the ground. Laverde concedes too much height but is obviously a strong bastard. Even at 100 years old I have fears Buddy will pull another vintage Essendon massacre out. That said, from memory Laverde played him well last year (THAT 50m penalty still ******* stings tho), and Reid has showed a fair bit so far.
Reid shoukd go to McDonald and Laverde to Buddy. If I recall, Laverde held Franklin reasonably well last time.

Francis in is the one I'm excited about. Really hoping he builds on his work last week and capitalises finally on what has sounded like a strong pre-season.

McGrath rolling back to help control Papley.

Draper vs. Ladhams will be interesting. Glad they've kept Bryan in. Coaches seem to be doing everything they can to give Wright the advantage up forward. Should be an intriguing game.

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Stringer, Langford, Snelling, Smith, Clarke, Cox, Stewart, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Ham
ESSENDON INS: Guelfi, Martin, Hobbs, McGrath, Kelly, Caldwell, Reid, Bryan

SYDNEY OUTS: Dawson, Hewett, Reid, Cunningham, Fox
SYDNEY INS: P. McCartin, Rowbottom, Warner, McDonald, Ladhams

Laughed for 'vintage Essendon massacre'.

Despite all the nay sayers Heppell has been pretty solid all year in defence, he’s often the one left covering for others therefore looks like he’s lagging when he’s actually not, his decision making under pressure hasn’t been great though. He’s picked up coaches votes in 2 of our last 4 matches, he’s isn’t anywhere near being on the radar to be dropped.
He would not get a game at any other club.
he was ok last week but he is slow and feeble and is in the side for leadership and sentiment in my opinion

Laverde’s strength and body work make him a good match up for this version of Buddy. His height really isn’t much of a factor.

He would not get a game at any other club.
he was ok last week but he is slow and feeble and is in the side for leadership and sentiment in my opinion

So basically you are telling me he is the worst player in the comp?

Buddy isn't particularly great overhead so conceding height isn't a big issue, Laverde is a reasonable match-up for him given he's strong, agile and quick at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be able to keep them honest at least and a win wouldnt be completely out of the question. The 22 doesnt look too bad considering 5 players in Stringer, Jones, Langford, Snelling and Tippa are missing.

So the umpire will climb the post this time?
Gil: "Umpires are encouraged to position themselves to get the clearest view of the play possible. This is what the umpire did in this instance. We commend the umpire for their pro-activeness and they have the full support of the AFL."

What's the decision we'll be complaining about when umps seal them a 2 point win?

This feels like a 50 for dissent for exhaling with 30 seconds to go type of game.
AFL: "As you can see from the footage, Guelfi breathed violently in the umpire's general direction."
Gil: "It's pragmatic umpiring. We need to protect umpires from the breath of players in times of COVID."

Of course Hickey comes back against us.

Like clockwork.
Yes it does sting a bit in terms of our chances in this game. But both Drapes and Bryan showed a fair bit last week against what was admittedly Hawks 3rd string ruck , so it will be interesting to see how they go up against 2 mature ruckman , one of whom is top quality. Was very impressed by Bryan's agility and energy last week . One of Hickey's strengths is his follow up work immediately after the tap, so Bryan can learn from this and hopefully offer us some similar quality, though naturally Draper will be taking the majority of the ruck time. I can see the argument for Phillips' greater body strength if we focus solely on this game, but for our longer term development getting this sort of experience into Bryan offers better rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back