Preview Round 9 v Collingwood - Sunday 28 March, 12:10pm, Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year people comment on her weight and fitness. It's just not an issue. She's among the fittest players on the team.

She panics sometimes yes, and does dump kick unnecessarily. But it's nothing to do with fitness, weight, or application.

Don’t know how anyone who’s watched this season or even follows her on Instagram can question Marinoff’s fitness, despite only going the short pre-season route she does this time around she’s put in incredible work before and during this AFLW season.

The way she’s run out games in hot conditions this season has been the best in the team.

How has the best team in AFLW history "stolen" top spot exactly?
I think they were referring us clinching top spot after Brisbane and Freo (the 2 top teams last week) falling over yesterday, to allow us the chance to go top. We have effectively, done a Bradbury.

Don’t know how anyone who’s watched this season or even follows her on Instagram can question Marinoff’s fitness, despite only going the short pre-season route she does this time around she’s put in incredible work before and during this AFLW season.

The way she’s run out games in hot conditions this season has been the best in the team.
She had an off day today but overall this season, her disposal has vastly improved. Nobody should ever question her fitness level, and if they do, they clearly haven’t watched footy this year.

Well, I think people expected Brisbane to win, we didn't Bradbury it at all, but results went our way this week.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
The results fell our way perfectly, and the top teams crumbled at the last hurdle. This is the spiritual definition of a “Bradbury”.

But I agree, we deserve top spot. Our defense has been elite all year, just need to brush up more on our goal kicks.

Every year people comment on her weight and fitness. It's just not an issue. She's among the fittest players on the team.

She panics sometimes yes, and does dump kick unnecessarily. But it's nothing to do with fitness, weight, or application.

I addition to this plenty of women are physically unable to get thinner. I mean look at her frame, she is built like a brick, and that is a good thing!!

I think they were referring us clinching top spot after Brisbane and Freo (the 2 top teams last week) falling over yesterday, to allow us the chance to go top. We have effectively, done a Bradbury.
People are missing the forest for the trees here.

The truly just outcome is Fremantle falling to 5th from 1st despite being permitted two goes at one of the worst teams in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How has the best team in AFLW history "stolen" top spot exactly?
I don’t think the Crows played the best football in the comp this H&A season or even got everything flowing in their team so it’s fair to come at it from that point of view but with it still being so compromised this season you can’t gauge who the best team is anyway; Collingwood didn’t leave Vic so they’re compromised, Freo had 3 poor performances after starting on fire, Melbourne probably beat the best teams beating Freo, Crows and Brisbane and Brisbane were probably the best as they beat Pies & Freo away and just fell short of Melbourne by 1 point so you could argue the Crows may have stolen it from them.

People are missing the forest for the trees here.

The truly just outcome is Fremantle falling to 5th from 1st despite being permitted two goes at one of the worst teams in the comp.
We also deserve what we got today, the mere fact we’ve beaten the teams on 2nd and 3rd spot after the end of the minor rounds (Lions and Pies).

We’re in a seriously strong position now with 2 home Finals and our defense currently being the standout of all teams.

Most pleasing thing about this game is that we didn’t get much from Marinoff or Phillips (yes they got touches, but they weren’t the usual quality). We were getting done in the centre clearances. But our fierce defensive work and tireless tackling was exceptional. A week off will be good for Phillips and Randal (ankle).

Most pleasing thing about this game is that we didn’t get much from Marinoff or Phillips (yes they got touches, but they weren’t the usual quality). We were getting done in the centre clearances. But our fierce defensive work and tireless tackling was exceptional. A week off will be good for Phillips and Randal (ankle).
Agreed, I think we've shown we have a few ways to win

We lost 2 games, Freo and Melb. We now play one of those teams in our home prelim.
When in winning form, we're our most potent at home and during Finals.
The loss to Melb was away in Victoria. Freo are crumbling in the recent month and their form is more a reverse to us since we last played them.

Getting these results to fall the team’s way to finish top when you still have a lot of aspect of your game not at their best and influential players still being very inconsistent might have involved a bit of luck but you bloody take it.

Owe that win to just how good our defensive side of the game was as players like Allan, Cox, Allen, Foley, Randall and Martin stopped Collingwood’s huge dominance around clearances with Davey, Bonnici and Lambert getting big numbers but not able to take full toll. Woodland really had an impact early, still very pleased she’s become the player I thought she’d be for the Crows when she looked like being on the inaugural list back in 2017.

Phillips a slight worry as she probably hasn’t been at her best the past few weeks, double grabbing, fumbling and some sloppy disposal so that may be a slight concern, hopefully some off-field stuff isn’t having an impact on her so she can get back to how she was playing earlier in the season.

Another issue that could be a concern is I imagine the Prelim will be played at Adelaide Oval, in a reverse of past history they’ve looked a lot more comfortable on Norwood’s ground dimensions that compress the game so they can’t get burnt on the spread or with fast outside runners or lead up forwards which against Melbourne on the bigger ground got really shown up.

Still have trouble trusting Rajcic, Thompson and Varnhagen with/around the ball, they’re probably still the weak links. Randall back in defence does make Rajcic slightly less panicky, Thompson could be the most blinkered player to play the game and Varnhagen whilst not being that bad in the 2nd half, is hobbling around on one leg unable to change direction which makes her a sitting duck.

One serious problem I see is a lack of situational awareness. If they manage to get into the open, then not many problems. However, most of the game is contested and, while the tackling efforts are great, notwithstanding the terrible HTB umpiring, their standard MO when they get the ball is to grab and run, normally straight into a tackle. They have to learn to get the quick kick, or an effective fast handball, in these situations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back