Autopsy Round 9 vs Dees. Blues never in it and Cunners does a knee

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many plodders contrell , gibbons casboult , Murphy , Jones and a few others , honestly let’s play the kids , we have nothing to lose , this team ain’t winning the vfl premiership let alone the AFL , Teague seems like a top bloke that I would smash a beer with but running a club he is out of his depth , season over already again

They tried but their lack of intelligence once H was lame showed through. Our forward refused to lead out so mids just bombed it long - to a team that intercepts for fun.

I can’t believe that was Teague’s direction so I have to believe we have the least intelligent footballers in the league.

Thought Walsh and Fog busted a gut. Williams down back was a good move. Doc was good but like everyone else burnt the ball. Crippa… played better, but his second guessing is becoming a sickness with no cure in sight.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree with all of this except for the bit about Doc.
We have the benefit of seeing the field from afar but I don't think he has very good awareness of what is happening, particularly opposition player positioning.

1. Cant carry some low talent low IQ blokes we are carrying.

2. Feel gutted for Cuningham - hopefully it isnt an ACL.

3. Great courage Harry.

4. Cripps current 'form' is Carlton's #1 issue.

5. #2 issue is having absolutely NO STRUCTURE outside of contested situations - so it is a loss irrespective of result of contest. Personally I am sick of seeing this and I dont care who is at fault -we need the fault to be eradicated - because it is killing out team play between the arcs and giving opposition easy transiiton from anywhere.

6. I think so many players are rotating through so many posiitons - that no one knows what they are suppossed to be doing - except kicking the ball as far forwards as possible as fast as possible and making the next possession someone else's problem or failure.

Middling sides hand games to better Clubs - whilst looking that they are working much harder to go backwards - when you see this week in week out- you start to question coaching and game plan.
Really interesting observations JAB

No real surprises -lose our quickest player in he first minute and have no dash.

Don’t bring in an extra tall and Lever chops us up. Helped by the umpires allowing H to be manhandled every contest( otherwise I loved the umpire rewarding tacklers and paying frees) . Was so predictable no dash no talls

Really need more pace in the side.

Thank you. Someone agrees with me. Cottrell is like the Kmart version of Mitch. Sure he tries hard but he just doesn't have the skills to cut it at AFL level.
Just because he had red hair? They play completely different roles and styles.

I haven’t watched game.

It’s a serious concern that I find spraying a golf ball all over a golf course less frustrating than watching this lot..........

However stats make interesting reading.

They dominated hitouts - we dominated clearances.

We dominated “tackles inside 50” - they dominated “inside 50 efficiency“.

We had 19 more turnovers.

So?

Please for f***s sake sort out our “forward 50 entries“ (and I reckon I’ve been saying this for 8 f***ing years!!!!).

Clean up composure and skills.

Get our more skilful players back on the park - Fish, Martin, TDK, Charlie.

Russell - for God’s sake get Cripps and Williams fit.

Of all the stupid s**t I’ve heard in my life from AFL coaches.....Teague has now taken the cake.

He actually said he had given Cunners the role of playing defensive forward on Lever.....because he could compete with him in the air.

I mean....just ******* WHAT?

That’s a massive worry right there. Like is your brain working mate?

Clearly some extreme opinions on both positive and negative sides! Season has been very disappointing so far and seems to be more of the same in many ways, but despite seeming to die by our own hand in a similar manner every time we play a good team, and 20 years of patience looking harder and harder to justify, I feel we are close to a breakthrough if we can find a circuit breaker or two.

Being a realist and going by all recent history, wins against both hawks and swans seem unlikely (though we had better win one of those or this place will burn). In that case, going to the bye 4-7 means we won't make finals form here. However a few things can be salvaged.

1) Play the next generation, time to find out who we can rely upon there without the older guys muddying the water. Like to see Murphy, Betts, Newnes and Gibbo play 2s next week (and beyond, unless they can force themselves back in). Cas can rest.
2) Make a statement or two occasionally at selection. It seems ridiculous for Teague to resist this, above all else this will earn him the sack. Newnes and Gibbo out this week were justified, and more should follow.
3) Independent review of our football department. One or more major issues there, which need to be acted on promptly at end of the year or beforehand.
4) Lock away Harry and Walsh for the foreseeable future. No brainer.
5) Sacrifice someone or something to the footy gods for some luck with injuries!

The back half of the draw is not that much easy either we won't make the 8...

We have tough games
  • Sydney (A) (6th)
  • Eagles (H) (7th)
  • Giants (A) (9th)
  • Fremantle (A) (10th)
  • Geelong (H) (3rd)
  • Saints (A) (11th)
  • Port (A) (5th)
  • Giants (H) (9th)
Best I can see us being is 7-9 wins

I did the same calculation and maybe fingers crossed we could make 10 wins.

We aren't making finals....

Of all the stupid sh*t I’ve heard in my life from AFL coaches.....Teague has now taken the cake.

He actually said he had given Cunners the role of playing defensive forward on Lever.....because he could compete with him in the air.

I mean....just ******* WHAT?

That’s a massive worry right there. Like is your brain working mate?

Teague is getting desperate. There's a bubble around the Carlton coaching group and common sense is not going to penetrate it.

I think this year is a bit of a perfect storm of a few factors:

Chickens come home to roost on LOB, Dow, SPS and Setters not being the players we’d hoped.

Injuries to actual good players who we know can contribute in Charlie, Marchbank, Fisher, JSOS, Martin, TDK and even bloody Gov showed a bit in his 3 games.

Potential guys we’d like to see more of haven’t had much of a run at it in the VFL or at all in Philp, Kemp and Carroll

Backup tall omac injured too

Then because of the above having to battle on with guys carrying injuries in Levi, Cripps, Saad and Williams which are magnified even more due to other injuries.

There has also been a decline in output of fringe guys in Newnes, Gibbons and further decline from last year of Murphy. (Eddie also on his last legs but has put in some very good performances last 3 weeks, looked cooked after half time today though)

Just the way things go sometimes, was always a chance of things didn’t go our way this year we’d end up teetering bottom 6 (draw has turned out to be rather brutal with 3 of last years top 4 and the current top 2 sides), we might be able to string some wins together against lower sides, but I don’t see the hawthorn game as much more than a 50-50 game for us.
Yeah, forget the journey men, it's the kids. You see, those chickens were better a few years ago with less development than they are now. We marveled at what they could be become in these days, in the present. Now, They're all shiitee. Thats a concern. all top ten picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are average.
Like someone said previously.
We got a list that won't get smashed, nor a list that will really elevate us to the top group.
Not without good development.
Seems our youngsters are not mentally strong. Try as they may have, I think our previous leadership being pretty poor for so long is the reason for this.
MLG has done well to implement what he has and solidify the club. Hopefully Sayers can take the next step and drive on-field performance across AFL, AFLW, and VFL
Won't happen this year. Let's just hope the coaches now make actual progress in how our younger players implement structure, tenacity, awareness and skills.

you have a squad that isn't improving and looks like it will regress collectively rapidly
It appears players in the younger bracket have gone backwards. As I said last week, addressing these younger player issues are urgent
Are they up to it is NOT a decision for this current football department. That needs to be replaced carefully, firstly to immediately remove
any emotional player-coach emotional "obligations" Meaning, and inability to make hard decisions. Secondly, I don't want players turfed, going to a good club for nothing, with adequate development and turning into stars.
The only benefit of finishing low for so long is the equalization of the draft. We've got this wrong for a decade and a half.

Privately assembling an external task force to get the best development/ line coaches in (not available, best)
setting up the best identification of talent chain in the land

Ross lyon on our terms, not his
Its never as bad as it seems.... If our squad was as bad as you say, wouldnt it make sense that we would be pantsed by the top two sides in the past two weeks?
Consider our top player injuries: Curnow, Marchbank, TDK, McGovern, Silvagni, Kemp, Martin , Fisher, All missing yesterday
Consider our game day injuries : Cuningham, Harry
Consider players playing with injury cloud: Cripps, Williams, Casboult
Consider Newman returning from injury.

All things considered we are doing pretty well. Once we start getting our injuries back , we have some depth again. this constant concentration on Dow, Setterfield, SPS, LOB Kennedy etc is understandable, but we have a squad that is doing ok.

Lost this game at the selection table
yeah, all those other players that wouldn't have got injured, would have kicked multiple goals, the incredible uninjured depth we have to choose from......fmd

I thought Williams had his best game too. Not saying much, but looked far more comfortable in his natural role off half back down to his mannerisms in the defensive 50.

Overthinks it as a midfielder transitioning some basic play, but sees some gaps opening up and has the ability to execute when he’s rebounding from defence.

Reckon we just keep rolling with it.

A lot o0f shining lights have gone backwards under Teaque for some reason. On ly a small minority have excelled, Setterfield has gone from a revelation to brown smelly stuff very quickly. Development is one area that we are close to the worst in the league at and needs serious addressing. Most of our recruits cannot be this bad whilst other teams are that good its statistically impossible. Our system is the problem.

Setters is a strange one. Seemed to have really stepped up last year but has been a big disappointment this year. Hard to blame the drop-off on Teague when the improvement last year was on Teague's watch too.

Yes, he's probably not playing in his preferred inside mid position so much this year, but players these days need more than one string to their bow so it's fair enough to ask him to grow in other areas. And if it was all about the position then you'd think he'd be killing it in the VFL when he gets to be more inside.

Just feels like there's some other element at play that we don't know about. Hopefully he can still turn it around.

Very predictable performance against a team going well
Missed our golden opportunity to knock off a contender last week and this was a bit of a nothing game
D Day is coming for this club on Saturday against the Hawks
What does "D Day" mean?

Setters is a strange one. Seemed to have really stepped up last year but has been a big disappointment this year. Hard to blame the drop-off on Teague when the improvement last year was on Teague's watch too.

Yes, he's probably not playing in his preferred inside mid position so much this year, but players these days need more than one string to their bow so it's fair enough to ask him to grow in other areas. And if it was all about the position then you'd think he'd be killing it in the VFL when he gets to be more inside.

Just feels like there's some other element at play that we don't know about. Hopefully he can still turn it around.
Maybe he's observing his mentor and captain in Cripps' a bit too closely...

I went to Swans v Pies game.

Pies kicked a total of 1 goal in the last 3 quarters.

Yet we made them look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

The Hawks game is no gimme. Clarkson seems to out coach us every time.
I’m going to take a wild guess at Clarko’s plan. It should be really difficult to work out....let’s see.....

Plus one behind the ball and wait for our rushed forward kicks?? Then get the ball forward quickly against our defenders who can’t scoop a ground ball get to save themselves?

Pretty hard to see coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back