Review Round 9 vs Fremantle, Metricon Stadium, Sunday 15th May, 1:40pm AEST

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anderson probably has to come back in as well if he’s not still sick. So Anderson for Davies is the most likely swap there.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This game will be interesting.

Will end the age demographic excuse about our club 1 way or another.

3ADD9A32-37A8-4A84-9E15-AF902FAB394C.jpeg

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Apparently internal expectation is it isn't great.
The way it was described by Dew was weird.
Sounded most like a meniscus that needs a clean up but they’ll try get him through the season and do it at the end of the year if possible.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Anderson back in for Davies obviously.

On form you would probably say Flanders in for Luko, but there is no point bringing him in if we are just going to shoehorn him in across half-forward. Same with Constable. Like-for-like you would think either Jeffrey or Sexton although I wouldn’t mind Sharp in and just let him roam the wing.

It will end up being Luko for DMac though.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Out: Luko, Davies
In: Bowes, Anderson

Didn't see the game, but you surely bring Bowes back in now. Showed that he's got enough fitness and touch. He'll be rusty for his first couple of games back, but put him up forward and rotate him in the midfield to help get him some touch. He has great flexibility.

Got to keep Swallow in the same role he was in.

Not sure what to do with Fiorini as I thought Weller did a decent job on the far-side wing and kept Gulden accountable. With Anderson coming back in though, his inside mid time will go way down. Which, given a lot of his touches against the Swans, may not be a bad thing. He seemed to be the only mid that didn't get the 'don't bomb it long' memo. Be interesting to see how Dew handles that.

Dew's comments RE: MacPherson were concerning as he seemed to really rate him and said he had a 'real impact'. I didn't see it that way. Regardless, Darcy might get the whole game.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sounded most like a meniscus
Did not get that impression at all. You don't play with meniscus damage.

My pure guess would be some bone bruising or tweaked again PCL. Dew mentioned that it should not get worse, players can play with it, it should settle over time. Let's see on Tue.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Dew's comments RE: MacPherson were concerning as he seemed to really rate him and said he had a 'real impact'. I didn't see it that way. Regardless, Darcy might get the whole game.

Watching live, Dmac was actually instrumental in the final quarter. And I am one of his harshest critics.

Surely he's Geelong's Lyons not ours.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understood what he meant. More that Geelong might regret letting him go

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watching live, Dmac was actually instrumental in the final quarter. And I am one of his harshest critics.
Watching on TV, he butchered the ball at every chance going forward. His pressure was high because he was fresh. I’d leave him as a sub only for us as that probably suits him (at best). Give him a quarter or a half to harass the opposition.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Watching on TV, he butchered the ball at every chance going forward. His pressure was high because he was fresh. I’d leave him as a sub only for us as that probably suits him (at best). Give him a quarter or a half to harass the opposition.

I agree with him being sub. Dont wanna waste young players who could be at least benefiting from a run in the twos

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Our small forwards are so frustratingly inconsistent. It probably costs us 4+ goals each week.

Rankine good this week but Holman & Rosa barely touched it & made feck all tackles.

Dew needs to make their spots in the seniors more accountable. Being gifted games.

So many guys in the twos that are deserving of games and just requires Dew to shuffle a few magnets around.

We have to find the right combination up forward that coverts a higher percentage of our fwd 50 entries.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Surely Bowes gets the call up for this game. He had 29 disposals, 7 clearances and 2 tackles in the VFL yesterday. Definitely sounds like Bowesy is ready to return.

I'm very interested to see how Dew will incorporate Bowes into our midfield rotation.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Surely Bowes gets the call up for this game. He had 29 disposals, 7 clearances and 2 tackles in the VFL yesterday. Definitely sounds like Bowesy is ready to return.

I'm very interested to see how Dew will incorporate Bowes into our midfield rotation.
Still rusty (despite all the touches) Flanders, Constable and Hollands all had better games

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Still rusty (despite all the touches) Flanders, Constable and Hollands all had better games
I'm more so thinking from an experience/age perspective. Bowesy is entering his physical prime at 24 years of age and has racked up 80 AFL games already. The other three you've listed haven't even played a full season's worth of games and both Flanders/Hollands are still quite young. Admittedly, I didn't watch the VFL game (too distracted by the main thing) so I can't comment on whether he looked rusty but I'll default to your opinion and if he looked rusty to others, then he should probably stay in the VFL for at least another week.

Last edited:
Back