Review Round 9 vs Fremantle, Metricon Stadium, Sunday 15th May, 1:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

People will write us off quickly. Very little expected us from this game, almost a free hit.

However, I think we are half a chance, we have a decent record against them at Metricon, they have the longest road trip to get across as well. Anything can happen.

If we can snag this week or next week before we get to Darwin we are set up nicely for post bye.

Don’t know how impacted they may be by covid.
Either players missing or potentially a bit down on form and fitness if recovering from the illness.

It’s a tough ask no doubt. Their defence is so good. We need to take every easy opportunity when it arises and also a fair few of the 50/50s aswell. But I also think we’re a shout.

After round 8

Suns are
13th best offense
11th best defense

Freo are
8th best offense
1st defense
That means no hack kicks and bombs into the 50 otherwise freo will eat it up and it’ll be a long day for us. The boys need to lower their eyes and be precise with their forward 50 entries.

Not a happy hunting ground for us at your place. Knock us off and you’ve a decent enough run if fixtures before the bye to be giving the 8 a shake.

After round 8

Suns are
13th best offense
11th best defense

Freo are
8th best offense
1st defense
There is no doubting they’re the better team. But they’ve also had a much easier opening 8 rounds compared to us. We’ve already played
3 top 4 teams (Melb, Bris Carl) and another 2 top 8 teams (Stk and Sydney)

They’ve played one other top 4 team (Carl) and 2 top 8 (Cats and Stk). And their other 5 games were against the bottom 5 teams on the ladder.

That means no hack kicks and bombs into the 50 otherwise freo will eat it up and it’ll be a long day for us. The boys need to lower their eyes and be precise with their forward 50 entries.
Saints beat them at Optus. Like any team they struggle under pressure. The same against Crows. They were lucky to win in Adelaide.

A bit worried about Darcy. He's a monster, goes forward often and Witts usually struggles against him.

Last edited:
Big couple of weeks coming up. We still haven’t played near our potential, yet we win this one or next week against the Bulldogs and IMO finals are right on the cards if we have our noses up. Drop them both and it looks a bit dire if heads start to drop and could be a long second half.

At the start of the season you would have pencilled this one in as a chance being at home, but Freo have put together a solid team and are executing their game plan perfectly. Depends which Suns team shows up but I am still yet to see us follow up a good win with another great effort.

Going to be super interesting seeing how our midfield goes against Brodie. Could be many melts (myself included) and a pounding from the media on the way. Need Touk, Witts and Anderson to fire to be any chance as well as keeping the ball off Fiorinis foot. Freos defenders will have a field day otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints beat them at Optus. Like any team they struggle under pressure. The same against Crows. They were lucky to win in Adelaide.

A bit worried about Darcy. He's a monster, goes forward often and Witts usually struggles against him.
Yeah, the one game we played the worst was against GWS when Pruess gave Witts a towel up.
Hope he's on and ready for Darcy.
We need our mids to be on top.

I watched Danien Barrett on Access All Areas yesterday and it was weird seeing him still not slamming the Suns. I never thought I'd ever see the day where he's the guy supporting the Suns before the rest of the Melb media

I watched Danien Barrett on Access All Areas yesterday and it was weird seeing him still not slamming the Suns. I never thought I'd ever see the day where he's the guy supporting the Suns before the rest of the Melb media
He likes Dew so won't really go after us

Channel 7 Gold Coast News just reported that Luko is out for up to 4 weeks and definitely won't be playing in the Fremantle game this weekend.

Who do we bring in? Will Dew be tempted to play Bowes?

He said last week on MMM that he expects Dew not to be the suns coach next year. He was on the topic of Cameron @ GWS and threw that in, didn't elaborate. Can't be that big a fan.
Thats an opinion which Barrett is employed to give, but in the years of Dew coaching us he has rarely bashed the club when compared to how he goes after other teams.

Thats an opinion which Barrett is employed to give, but in the years of Dew coaching us he has rarely bashed the club when compared to how he goes after other teams.

When I listen to Mmm rush hour on mondays here and there over the years. He’s kinda just given up on us being mediocre so doesn’t really put much effort into slamming us.

Plus no point smashing a non Victorian side on a Victorian station

Channel 7 Gold Coast News just reported that Luko is out for up to 4 weeks and definitely won't be playing in the Fremantle game this weekend.

Who do we bring in? Will Dew be tempted to play Bowes?

Jeffrey in for Luko?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back